Today's topic is “ain't” and a few other troublesome contractions. I have always wondered for which words is "ain't" a contraction? Someone wrote down the way some people with a thick southern drawl would say "isn't." There are many cognitive advantages to learning a second language early, and these advantages can lead to future academic success. Ain't definition, contraction of am not;are not;is not. comes from the song "aint i" by yung la ft. young dro & t.i. “Ain’t” is a word. Well, not for this one. Your Results Click the SHOW MY RESULTS button above to calculate your results. In business, scholarly, and other formal writings, omit “ain’t,” unless it’s used in direct quotation, and never go around saying it in general conversation unless it's part of a joke or well-known saying. Ain't can mean "is not" as in "It ain't my fault she don't know how to please her man." Favorite Answer (speak the dialect) So, what ain't to like about a word there ain't no such thang as? Lang, S. S. (2009, May 12). A professional linguist explains why ain't isn't a four letter word. It's a hard-and-fast rule. You ain't gotta lie to kick it, my nigga You ain't gotta lie, you ain't gotta lie You ain't gotta lie to kick it, my nigga You ain't gotta try so hard And the world don't respect you and the culture don't accept you But you think it's all love And the girls gon' neglect you once your parody is done Reputation can't protect you if you never had one Children need to be able to progress through the language-learning process at their own pace because it seems impossible to speed it up. Listen to the single "I Ain't Perfect". Aired 12/1/09 . (2008). What Do Children’s Books Do, and Does it Matter? Language and Communication: Are They the Same? Bob ain't ready either. The same dialects that use "Ain't" also use double-negatives to express negatives and intense negatives. The Random House Dictionary points out that although “ain’t” is considered improper or slang, it actually arose as an alternative to two other contractions—one clunky and one just plain wrong grammatically. Say It Ain't So - Murray Head Page 1 of 1 Previous Next Page . @tchrist: If "NNS" means "non-native speaker", then I don't think it's a native vs. non-native thing, but rather a linguist vs. non-linguist thing. 2. I know it sounds stupid now but you made me remember it!! As country music legend Dolly Parton is preparing to turn 75 in two months, she’s speaking out to defiantly say that she “ain’t got time” to age. The example from page 620 uses the sentence “Nobody don’t like me.”. While we’re on the subject of contractions, let’s take a look at what has happened to the constructions “would have,” “could have,” and “should have.” People have heard the perfectly correct “could’ve”—and heard it as “could of.”, There’s the helping verb “could,” but then if you spell it “could of,” it has no main verb to help. She was helping me become a more fluent speaker and helping me to sound educated. Mr. King ended his Hawaii speech by quoting a prayer from a preacher who had once been a slave, and it’s an apt description of the idea of America today: “We ain’t what we ought to be; we ain’t what we gonna be, but, thank God, we ain’t what we was.” In my mind, she was doing me a favor  by correcting my grammar. Of course it is. EX: They said they aren't going. Who decided ain't was grammatically incorrect? Zen Buddhist Thoreau, or: An Account of a Ten-Foot-Square Hut, Fabulum Potestatem: The Power of Storytelling, Melville on Structuralism in “Billy Budd, Sailor”, Language Acquisition and the Word Know –Abe’s Word Psychology. Boston, MA: Bedford/St. Don’t Worry You Can Be A Rhetorician Too! Ain’t is a perfectly valid word, but today, ain’t is considered nonstandard. I believe this is how "ain't" got started. |it's an informal short form of ‘am not’, ‘is not’, ‘are not’, ‘has not’, or ‘have not’ that used in slang. At worst, it … When you think about it, aren’t I is not grammar correct, same as I aren’t. LOL. Therefore, in many non-Standard English dialects, one could say: I ain't no quitter. 27 likes. The Walker Brothers, the Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Any More 9. As with many coinages, the rule here is one of context. Learn more. Let’s assume someone says, “I’m doing all right, ain’t I?”  Well, what is “ain’t I” replacing? How to use ain't in a sentence. Although, some people still choose to use it. It might be, “am I not?”, “I’m doing all right, am I not?”  That’s correct but a little awkward—and, in today’s casual conversation, perhaps unduly proper. “Don’t say Ain’t. If he finds out what a crazy bastard you are, we won’t get no job, but if he sees ya work before he hears ya talk, we’re set. Say It Ain't So - Murray Head Page 1 of 1 Previous Next Page . Over time, it became popular nationwide as a "fun way" to say "isn't", or maybe a more emphatic way to say "isn't." The common bit of schoolyard wisdom that “ain’t ain’t in the dictionary, so ain’t ain’t a word” turns out to be untrue. I wouldn’t say that “ain’t” is the gateway slang word, but that the issue of improper grammar is the result of a far more fundamental problem of people not bothering to learn and understand the language they use on a rational level, instead being content to rely on our human faculties of … In grade school, one might have heard a smart-alecky classmate say, “I ain’t gonna use ‘ain’t’ anymore, ’cuz ‘ain’t’ ain’t in the dictionary.”  Well, actually it is; but you need to be very careful about how you use it. According to Moskowitz, my mom should not have corrected my grammar. How to use ain't in a sentence. "ain't" as "have not" I don't think I've ever heard "ain't" meaning "have not" except where "have" is an auxiliary - "I ain't a clue" sounds strange to me (it would mean "I'm not a clue"), but "I ain't got a clue" (heard quite frequently on EastEnders) sounds … She should have allowed me to continue to speak how I was to help my internal grammar. Usually only country people use it which you are if your from the south. For years, teachers have warned against using the word ain’t, apparently with some success.Emily Hummell from Boston sent us a poem that may have contributed: “Don’t say ain’t / your mother will faint / your father will fall in a bucket of paint/ your sister will cry / your brother will sigh / the cat and dog will say … Your sister will cry, your brother will die and your grandmother will call the FBI.” Here is what Wikipedia has on the subject. Treat it like spicy mustard; don’t make a whole sandwich from it. You’ll recall that when two words are pushed together and at least one letter is removed and replaced by an apostrophe, a contraction is formed. And I heard him say O, th Deacon went down To th cellar to pray He fell on his knees And I heard him say Ain't gonna grieve my Lord no more CHORUS: Ain't gonna grieve my Lord no more Ain't gonna grieve my Lord no more Ain't gonna grieve my Lord no more VERSE 2 O, I can't get to Heaven In a rockin' chair Cause th Lord don't know No ladies up there Find more similar words at wordhippo.com! It is used for are not and am not. Find more similar words at wordhippo.com! That’s really versatile. used when someone talks shit about you and its true. Your mother will faint and your father will fall in a bucket of paint. Yee-haw!" Every online dictionary that I’ve ever looked in contained an entry for ain’t. Hello everyone! They were unable to teach children a detail of language before the child was ready. We use cookies to enhance your experience on our website, including to provide targeted advertising and track usage. !” Here, “ain’t” is used for comedic effect. Things ain't what they used to be. In dialogue or to convey a vernacular tone in prose, use it with discretion. For years, teachers have warned against using the word ain’t, apparently with some success.Emily Hummell from Boston sent us a poem that may have contributed: “Don’t say ain’t / your mother will faint / your father will fall in a bucket of paint/ your sister will cry / your brother will sigh / the cat and dog will say … (Speech) Ain't I a Woman? How do you think about the answers? My name is Carly and I am a 20 year-old from small town Nebraska. which expands to: I am not no quitter. Carol. (Speech) essays are academic essays for citation. Wow. Definition of ain-t short form in Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary. "Ain't" and 10,000 other new entries have made it into the newest edition of Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary. Breaking Down the Fourth Wall in Six Characters in Search of an Author, Marxist Character Study: Doris Kilman in Mrs. Dalloway, Poor Folk and Pokrovsky’s Psychosexual Regression, It’s the Little Things: Sealed Off – Week 16, Journalsim and the Ethics of Public Discourse, Students Have the Right to Be the Know It All, Communication is Life and Death for Learning, Rhys and the Fairies: My Hand at Celtic Mythology. 0 0. When teaching children a language, whether it be a first language or a second; it is ideal to teach children these skills before they hit puberty. Copyright © 2020 Macmillan Publishing Group, LLC. Answer Save. Ain: [geographical name] river 120 miles (195 kilometers) long in eastern France rising in the Jura Mountains and flowing south-southwest into the Rhône River. Ain't definition: People sometimes use ain't instead of 'am not', 'aren't', 'isn't', 'haven't', and... | Meaning, pronunciation, translations and examples “You would” or “you had” becomes “you’d.”  “You’d love this carrot cake, Bunny.” Or, “You’d better stand up now, Neil.”, “She is” or “she has” becomes “she’s.”  “She’s very happy for you, Joy.” Or, “She’s been walking all over you, Matt.”. “Glenn and Dale said they won’t be joining us on our trip to the valley.”, To express your absolute indifference, you reply, “I could care less.”. Research done by linguistics at the Cornell Language Acquisition Lab states that children who learn a second language can maintain attention despite outside stimuli better than children who only know one language. I cannot remember where I first heard this saying but it has stuck with me. On my journey, I am making pit stops by trying my hand at student government (I’m the President of Student Senate) and music. A newspaper reporter apparently juiced it up a bit, and “Say it ain’t so, Joe,” became part of sports lore–even finding its way into last year’s vice presidential debate. @LucasVL "Ain't" is not proper English. 0 0. ravin_lunatic. 4. Now we can't say I ain't interested without being taken for an illiterate -- instead of a language reformer. These papers were written primarily by students and provide critical analysis of Ain't I a Woman? 27 Answers. She ain’t pretty, or you ain’t allowed to do that. It ain't over till the fat lady sings. Should they not say, “I am not”, also? Merriam-Webster Online: Main Entry: ain't Pronunciation: \ˈānt\ Etymology: contraction of are not I won’t be helping only one group of kids, I will be helping hundreds of children throughout my career. What I do not understand is why you don’t allow “I ain’t” in place of “I’m not”. Disrobing Violence and Injustice in Mahabharata, The Letter Genre in Science: An Example from the Early Royal Society, The Rhetorical Intersection of Science and Theology, The rhetoric of public spaces or: why we keep removing stall doors from public restrooms, A Review of Protest: A Cultural Introduction to Social Movements and It’s Contribution to Protest Rhetoric, The Educational Background of Rhetoricians. The child’s mother tries multiple times to get the child to say “Nobody likes me.”, finally the child “understands” what the mother is trying to explain and says “Oh! Actually, you couldn’t care—could not—care less. Ain't ain't a word Haven't you heard It's not too late to learn what ain't isn't Ain't isn't right No matter how it tries To disguise itself like "am not," "are not," "isn't" Ain't belongs locked up in a word prison Sheriff: I'm Sheriff Graham R. Justice and I'm here to lock up the outlaw Ain't in the Grammar Slammer. There is no way of knowing if the child has simply memorized a sentence or is trying to use the correct grammar when speaking unless they are allowed to speak as they want too. If it is, ain't is a' official word. I personally use the because I am from the south. View all posts by carlyslaght, Your email address will not be published. 613-639). After this stint in college, I want to do some volunteer work. 'Could Care Less' Versus 'Couldn't Care Less'. I am really interested in Peace Corps and Habitats for Humanity. A. Aint No Mountain High Enough Ft. Tammi Terrell - Marvin Gaye 11. =P If a construction doesn’t really make sense, it’s probably not what you mean to convey. You ain't seen nothing yet Required fields are marked *. Relevance. Don't use “ain't” unless it's part of a quotation, a joke, or a well-known saying. Nobody don’t likes me.”. So, in theory, it’s helping a preposition, “of.”  Sorry, it doesn’t work that way. http://news.cornell.edu/stories/2009/05/learning-second-language-good-childhood-mind-medicine, A Semester of Reading, Thinking, Talking, and Learning, A Review of Wayne C. Booth’s “The Rhetoric of Fiction”, A Creative Experiment in Fictional Rhetoric: Midnight Conversation. If any non-word should become a word, it’s ain’t. You know its happened before!! The opera ain't over till the fat lady sings. To quote the famous opening lines of the first-ever talking picture, The Jazz Singer: “Wait a minute, wait a minute! Lv 6. We are currently experiencing playback issues on Safari. 172+3 sentence examples: 1. The language-learning process is broken down into several steps; the one-word stage, the two-word stage, telegraphic speech, and several basic grammar rules before they are able to speak in full coherent sentences. Your email address will not be published. ‘they ain't got nothing to say’ ‘Baseball's origins ain't found till they're found.’ ‘He ain't won a fight in years.’ ‘Well, he's a man who loves being on the hills and what he ain't climbed ain't worth climbing.’ ‘Hey sis, I ain't forgotten about ya. People say it. In elementary school, I had a friend who used to say, “Ain’t ain’t a word, so you ain’t s’posed to say it three times a day cuz it ain’t proper.” I still love you.’ ‘Bet she ain't ridden a bike in years.’ A great memorable quote from the To Kill a Mockingbird movie on Quotes.net - Mayella Ewell: I got somethin' to say. They are similar gaining all of this knowledge on a first hand basis from listening to their parents and other adults. Podcast: Play in new window | Download Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Android | RSS “Ain’t ain’t a word.” Most parents in the USA say that sentence to their kids. I ain’t gonna stop using the word “ain’t” just for some people who ironically think they’re being good grammatical pedants by insisting on its illegitimacy. First of all, I ain’t never gonna be old because I ain’t got time to be old. Mine too! In V. Clark, P. Eschholz, A. Rosa, & B. L. Simon (Authors), Language Introductory Readings (7th ed., pp. “Ain’t” is not used exclusively in the first person singular, of course. Your Results Click the SHOW MY RESULTS button above to calculate your results. It’s a shame it’s usually not acceptable, ain’t it? “Ain’t ain’t a word, and I ain’t gonna say it” Some of you may recognize this saying or something similar to it from growing up. There is no three-word stage, as there are very few ternary semantic relations for the child to learn. Ain't definition is - am not : are not : is not. The common bit of schoolyard wisdom that “ain’t ain’t in the dictionary, so ain’t ain’t a word” turns out to be untrue. The Difference Between Ancient and Modern Literature, Why Schools Should Support Varying Dialects, Virginia Woolf, Hélène Cixous: On Modern-Day Feminism, A Small Glance at Femininity in the Bible: Tamar, Looking for Representation in Virginia Woolf’s Mrs. Dalloway, The Androgynous Compromise in A Room of One’s Own, Moana: Creating Space for Our Mother’s Gardens, Connection in Tony Kushner’s “Angels in America”, Femininity, Soup, and Death: Homosexual Repression in “Billy Budd, Sailor”, Captain’s Log, The Brain: The True Undiscovered Country, in Two Parts, Music as a Language, Music as Rhetoric, From Music to Foucault, Knowledge, the Unknowable, and Power in the View of Foucault, Codeswitching, Standardized Tests, and Writing Workshop, Male and Female Convers— Canadian Potholes. Retrieved February 04, 2018, from http://news.cornell.edu/stories/2009/05/learning-second-language-good-childhood-mind-medicine. Ain't Too Proud to Beg - The Temptations 10. When I was little, my sisters & I used to say, "Ain't ain't a word & you ain't gonna use it! You ain't seen nothing yet. I remember not being allowed to use the word ain’t and if I … Rob Reinalda, winner of ACES' 2019 Robinson Prize for excellence in editing, is the founder and principal of Word Czar Media. 2 people chose this as the best definition of ain-t: The definition of ain't i... See the dictionary meaning, pronunciation, and sentence examples. 10 100 1,000 10,000 100,000 1,000,000 An' if you fine, fancy gentlemen ain't gonna do nothin' about it, then you're just a bunch of lousy, yella, stinkin' cowards, the - the whole bunch of ya, and your fancy airs don't come to nothin'. I want to teach because I feel like that is the best way to reach as many people as possible. says the Woman or Do They? 5. Often used to mean "don't have any," it literally means the opposite. I don’t have proof to back this up, but it’s probably been one of the most commonly used non-words over several generations. I cannot remember where I first heard this saying but it has stuck with me. Ain’t Ain’t a Word and I Ain’t Gonna Say It! Slang & Informal English E-Book Ain’t is an extremely informal (some people would say incorrect) word for isn’t, am not, or aren’t.. You might hear ain’t in songs, like Bon Jovi’s “This ain’t a love song” (This isn’t a love song). How does that old rhyme go? The Acquisition of Language. In the cases of “could of” and “I could care less,” remember the old standby: Think about the meaning of what you’re saying. You ain't going nowhere. See 21 authoritative translations of Ain't in Spanish with example sentences, phrases and audio pronunciations. If it ain't a word, then it ain't. For today’s English lesson, let’s have a look at this non-standard verb and how it … Children are still able to learn a second language later in life, but the brain is best suited to learn language earlier in life. Translate Ain't. Low class people use it and therefore it is rejected. I […] Blah, Blah, Blah! Children typically will go from the two-word stage to telegraphic speech. Ain't ain't a word cuz ain't ain't in the dictionary!! Yes, and I ain't saying you ain't pretty All I'm saying is I'm not ready For any person place or thing To try and pull the reins in on me So good-bye I'll be leaving I see no sense in this crying and grieving We'll both live a lot longer If you live without me Actually, "ain't" is kind of an all purpose word -- both singular and plural -- and acts for any pronoun or subject: "I ain't ready yet. To keep decent English alive, make a little extra effort and enunciate: “would have,” “could have,” and “should have.”, “Well,” you might say, “I’ve meant to improve my diction.”. “Ain’t ain’t a word, and I ain’t gonna say it” Some of you may recognize this saying or something similar to it from growing up. He is the author of "Why Editors Drink.". Slang & Informal English E-Book Ain’t is an extremely informal (some people would say incorrect) word for isn’t, am not, or aren’t.. You might hear ain’t in songs, like Bon Jovi’s “This ain’t a love song” (This isn’t a love song). The Walker Brothers, the Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Any More 9. Here we go! ALL words were made up at one point or another. slang contraction of is not, are not, am not, do not or does not. Equal to, I will not be doing that.” “He ain’t coming. The two words go against the rules of the English language. A lot of people make fun of the way I talk…saying I make myself sound like a dumb, uneducated hick. And then I ain't gonna say no more. About the only times “ain't” is acceptable are in dialogue or when you want to convey a colloquial tone. 3. Every online dictionary that I’ve ever looked in contained an entry for ain’t. 1 decade ago. Telegraphic speech is short, simple sentences that are lacking function words. Ain't definition is - am not : are not : is not. Maybe the best-remembered “ain’t” was part of a misquote. Now, look — I’ll give him the work tickets, but you ain’t gonna say a word. home language being integrated into the classroom, English Language Learners: The Proactive Approach, Scare Tactics Being Used to Make a Proper Digital Citizen. My teacher used to say "Ain't ain't a word and you ain't gonna say it". By allowing children to use their current level of internalized grammar as is, it helps them to develop their grammar skills. No words were handed down from the heavens. Ain’t is also influenced by aren’t, the contraction for are not recorded in the late 1600s. I remember not being allowed to use the word ain’t and if I did my mom would quickly correct my grammar. That’s enough to make it a word. People write it. Ain’t is recorded in the early 1700s, with amn’t found a century before. Examples, “I ain't doing that. What’s happening? We can comfortably say ‘ain’t I’ instead of ‘aren’t I’. And it has a meaning that everyone understands. Is ain’t a word? The standards and … As with many coinages, the rule here is one of context. National Council of Teachers of English Past Resolutions. After getting to the telegraphic speech stage, children start to learn more function words. Essays for Ain’t I a Woman? Ain't Too Proud to Beg - The Temptations 10. Anonymous. You may have been chided—or at least corrected—for using this slang contraction, but do you know how “ain't” came to be and when it’s OK to use it? The most amazing thing is that children are learning all of this from listening to other people talk, they are not being sat down and taught this from a book. 2 0. After yesterday's One-Liner, I'm sure you knew this was coming... Really, for a relatively harmless word that nevertheless seems to be the bane of teachers everywhere, "ain't" is used in a lot of popular song titles. You jus’ stand there and don’t say nothing. Now let’s imagine that someone tells you something that makes no difference to you. Ain't ain't a word and I ain't gonna say it. Why can't we say the word "ain't" without raising eyebrows? Is ain't a word? Aint No Mountain High Enough Ft. Tammi Terrell - Marvin Gaye 11. All Free. It Ain't Necessarily So … Martin’s. Ain’t is a contraction for am not, is not, are not, will not etc. Although "ain't" is not a BAD word, it has long been considered incorrect grammar. Cornell Chronicle. Rhetoric and Religion in Sojourner Truth's … See more. (Speech) by Sojourner Truth. Ain’t is a centuries-old contraction meaning am not, is not, are not, has not, or have not.The word has been derided by usage authorities throughout its history, and it’s still considered unacceptable in formal writing, but it has a secure place in spoken English. You can sign in to vote the answer. This podcast was written by Rob Reinalda, executive editor for Ragan Communications (word_czar on Twitter), and I'm Mignon Fogarty, the author of The Grammar Devotional. Stream: https://empire.ffm.to/iaintperfect The album "Beyond Bulletproof" is out 5/1! Equal to, he is not coming.” “They ain’t going … You’re at zero on the care-o-meter, and there are no negative numbers on that scale. – What’s going on? A series of experiments held by Russian investigators saw this process first hand. Is ain't a word? Ooh, I'm cringing. I Ain't Word Lyrics: You can look me in my face / I ain't got no worries (I ain’t word) x3 / See them shroomies keep me up / So I ain't got no worries (I ain’t word) x3 / You see money right there Merriam-Webster Online: Main Entry: ain't Pronunciation: \ˈānt\ Etymology: contraction of are not However, as it has still not been accepted into "proper" English like its counterparts won't and can't, few people see any problem with further "misuse" of the word. To say that "He ain't never gonna get there a-drivin' that-a-way," means both that he is never going to get there that way, and that he ain't ever gonna get there that-a-way. I gave you two yesterday, and here are ten more. It's part of informal Southern and black English dialects. If you would like to listen to the audio, please use Google Chrome or Firefox. Absolutely. ain't - WordReference English dictionary, questions, discussion and forums. Moskowitz, B. In business, scholarly, and other formal writings, omit “ain’t,” unless it’s used in direct quotation, and never go around saying it in general conversation unless it's part of a joke or well-known saying. It's in the dictionary, but does that mean it's OK to use? slang contraction of is not, are not, am not, do not or does not. Meaning, pronunciation, picture, example sentences, grammar, usage notes, synonyms and more. Show My Results. The correct word is "aren't". Oops. The title track of Florida Georgia Line's fourth studio album, "Can't Say I Ain't Country" is a lighthearted jab at all those country "judges" out there who protest: "That's not country." The earliest they were able to teach a children this new detail was no more than a couple days away from the child learning the detail on their own. Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com. “I don’t think about my life in terms of numbers. They learn about tenses, plurals, negative sentences, semantics, phonology, and phonetics. 6. In previous episodes, we’ve talked about how language evolves and how some stricter constructions have become tacitly acceptable through widespread use. He took advantage of me. Another complication was added to our language when we were taught that we shouldn't say things like, "Me and him are gonna go to the ball game!" If it ain't broke, don't fix it. In the wake of the 1919 Black Sox scandal, in which members of the Chicago White Sox helped throw the World Series, “Shoeless” Joe Jackson left the courthouse and a young fan asked, "It ain't true, is it, Joe?". – John Lawler Sep 14 '14 at 20:50. "Ah'm a gonna go up ta Scooters and get me sum wings! The ain't is the word. It's “could have.”. Does conducting a speech require education? For example, in the very first example I gave you from “The Jazz Singer”—“You ain't heard nothin' yet—” “ain't” gives an earthy tone to the title character, Jakie Rabinowitz. It WAS funny back then!! A professional linguist explains why ain't isn't a four letter word. Quick & Dirty Tips™ and related trademarks appearing on this website are the property of Mignon Fogarty, Inc. and Macmillan Publishing Group, LLC. In the movie The Wizard of Oz, the Cowardly Lion says, “Ain’t it the truth, Ain’t it the truth? Synonyms for ain't include aren't and are not. Out now! Wetin dey happen? The child may not fully understand what the adult is trying to correct. “Catch Phrases”-Do They Influence Our Language? (In a dialect that uses double-negatives to express negatives) and simplifies to: … Synonyms for ain't include aren't and are not. basically if they're hatin and they got a reason too you say "ain't i?" Why do Animals Appear in Children’s Literature? 2. I’m still young so the more I can do now, the better! ain't was originally a contraction of "am not" or "are not," and should only be used in the first person. If you say you could care less, you are saying implicitly that you do care, even if it’s just a little bit, a tad, a jot, an iota—dare we say, a smidge. Show My Results. 1 decade ago. Flip that around and shorten it into a contraction, and it’s even clunkier: “I’m doing all right, amn’t I?”, A worse alternative is “aren’t I?”  That suggests the construction, “I are doing all right, aren't I?”, Random House, in its usage section, offers a better option: “I’m doing all right, isn’t that so?”  Simpler yet, try this: “Am I doing all right?”  And remember, “all right” is two words, “all”–with two l’s--and “right.”. When ‘ain’t’ is used in informal speech, it has a lot of freedom. The word ain't has been used and understood long enough to be accepted by the standards of any dictionary, but has not because of sobbery.