Links2 is really old. Debian 10 Buster has a security-framework called AppArmor which is similar to the NSA-developed SELinux framework Red Hats distributions use. And the modified Xfce interface is easy to get used to, doesn't get in the way, and doesn't seem to bog down the limited system resources of even the most decrepit Atom n270 netbooks--even with just 1 GB of RAM. We will review antiX Linux, which is tailored with computers with small amounts of memory and slow CPUs. It is based on Debian with many of Debians standard components replaced with lighter alternatives. That's not the case on an old Athlon 3000 where PulseAudio places a 30+% CPU load when music is played. antiX was easy enough to install and runs smoothly and quickly. It uses sysvinit / runit for service management tasks. iceWM is still a wee bit lacking, but they've added enough scripts and GUI windows for dealing with settings and the applications menu. I finally managed to boot antiX (M7-rc2) on my Portege 3110ct using an iso file on the hdd and grub. It is based on Debian GNU/Linux and supports 32-bit and 64-bit x86 processors from likes of Intel, AMD and VIA. Get notifications on updates for this project. The functionality it provides may be forth it on powerful modern machines where it's CPU use is unnoticeable. It will ask you to configure your keyboard language and layout and proceed to disk partitioning. This video review by Linux & Other Stuff was p ublished on Apr 23, 2019. The wildly outdated xmms audio player is the default music player. Most distros I've tried recently connect right out of the box. MX Linux Forum; antiX Forum; Alternate Forum; MX FAQs; Users Manual; MX/antiX Wiki. ?too many to mention antiX offers users the "Magic of Mepis" in an environment suitable for old computers. The goal of antiX is to provide a light, but fully functional and flexible free operating system for both newcomers and experienced users of Linux. There is a world of difference between a 160 GB 5400 RPM HDD from 2005 or 2010 and a SSD. you missed the glaring HUGE point in ANTIX: it can be remastered REAL easily. What "speed" it's rated at won't matter much, older computers may have SATA I (150MB/s) or SATA II (300MB/s) but they may not have SATA III (600 MB/s). antiX is a fast, lightweight and easy to install linux live CD distribution based on Debian Testing and MEPIS for Intel-AMD x86 compatible systems. Even Lubuntu was too much. It is worth a look, antiX will start a very limited amount of software by default - but there are some things like ofono (for GSM) which is likely not required or desired. Default boot from live media has wicd DISABLED! There's even a "Benchmark" button which opens a terminal and runs cryptsetup benchmark. Those who used GNU/Linux before systemd was a thing will on the other hand feel right at home. i can use youtube without opening a browser,(since there is the brilliant SMTube that makes it easy!! Zero trouble free miles ! Installing any kind of KDE software will pull a whole lot of KDE framework dependencies which may not be what you want if you will be running antiX on old or limited hardware. I say that for many reasons. The default desktop in antiX Linux's Live ISO images. You seem to have CSS turned off. Never met a wifi chipset it wasn't able to detect--in the background--and connect with my ancient Belkin router OOTB. Applications can use ALSA directly and that's what they do on antiX. It works just fine. Some work needed if you want to use Libreoffice with German UI and also wine is better installed manually instead of the paket manager version. antiX offers users the "antiX Magic" in an environment … 256MB RAM is recommended minimum for antiX. I understand that I can withdraw my consent at anytime. Old harddrives are really slow compared to even the cheapest modern consumer SSDs. You can even run it live, add/remove applications, customize it, remaster it and then install. It's fine. AntiX is a systemd-free Linux distribution forked off Debian with IceWM as the default desktop environment. Then i press install, answer question, then program says: "install will now run", opens terminal (0.1sec), closes terminal and nothing else. IceWMs menu includes a "Control Centre" (not center) where wallpaper and IceWM settings can be changed. From LinuxReviews. Games you ask? Running on an old Pentium M 1.60ghz with 1GBRAm and on a Sony VAIO FS 315,(this is the less old):):). My daughter became de-facto big fan of Linux after fearing the learning curve - of which was almost flat. MX-Linux is ranked 4th while antiX is ranked 17th. On everything I've ever thrown it on. Desktop: Fluxbox, IceWM, JWM. I spent months trying to find an OS that would suffice for this old computer. You won't need to be picky about brand or "quality" or "rated speed", any cheap off-the-shelf modern SSD is miles ahead of an old HDD in terms of performance. it does actually fly after all,it wasnt an ancient Greek myth . The default uses IceWM which is, contrary to what the name "Ice Window Manager" indicates, a fully featured desktop environment with a meny, panels and desktop icons. However, antiX is more deeply vested in Debian, which makes it much more configurable. Believe you will love it. If your needs are programming i need not say anything ,you already know about the options available. There is one upgrade which will be worth it if you plan on installing antiX Linux on an old computer: A SSD. Support for advanced encryption options is nice touch. P.S. Audacious would be a much better choice. Based on: Debian. for all of the work that has gone into this distro they have failed miserably. Service-management can be done with it's update-rc.d tool. linux (loop)/antiX/vmlinuz from=hd fromiso=/antix.iso I understand that I can withdraw my consent at anytime. It features IceWM as it's default desktop and the antiX developers have done a wonderful job customizing it's defaults to make it look good and act great. The base system will still be light and out of your way if you install some bigger software packages like GIMP. It is possible to install a lot of other, likely heavier programs. They appear to be picked based on their resource-use to ensure that applications launch fast and work well on older or simpler hardware. I have an old Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook that I use as a backup/side-tool that struggles with just about any OS given to it. is a system run-level). It's easy to update, modify and enhance, especially with apt-get. It's 2014 and 98%+ of Linux distros do not fit on 4gb of internal storage so if you have a Asus EEE 4G then this OS is without a doubt the best option. First impression, it sucks! They have done a really good job at pre-configuring IceWM in a way no other distribution has done. anticapitalista rules +10 Linuxfreedom. That tool will make symbolic links to scripts to /etc/init.d in /etc/rc?.d/ (where ? Africa You can install games like SuperTux if you want to, there are many games available in it's software repositories. There is also a little "Run partition tool" button which launches the gparted utility. And that's about as accurate as you can get because the system is based on Debian 9.3 with an upgraded version 4.13.0-1 … All other attempts, such as Ubuntu, failed miserably in giving users a distro they have full control over. default settings should be the internet running with something in the system tray for the user to just click and select what service provider they want and bada bing they are in. Hands down best OS for computers that only have 4gb of internal storage. 4. base (140 MB) is really basic, there's no X or wireless net… Please refer to our. Right-click on the ad, choose "Copy Link", then paste here → This was my first outing with the Core version of antiX. Actually, most Linux distros are using systemd to manage the system processes, but antiX doesn’t like systemd. Started using Antix 16.1, ,for daily use on all my laptops old and less old :):) There are no ARM packages or packages for other architectures. And this can be a life-changing experience,i know what i m talking about..:) This box runs now a pair in speed with other much newer W-boxes, even better than mi iMac. ( www.ccmalls.net/ ) It uses the much more light-weight sysvinit. That same screen has a box where you can inspect "Service Settings". insmod ext2 A smaller 120 GB SSD can be had for as little as $25. Video review by Linux Umsteiger on Oct 28, 2019. Wicd is probably the better choice if you use wireless on the go on a … antiX boots into a pleasing looking IceWM window manager with icons on the desktop. Amazing OS, simple, fast, responsible . antiX offers users the "antiX Magic" in an environment suitable for old and new computers. The sum of the changes the antiX Linux team have made make it ideal for older computers who would struggle with the more bloated modern components like systemd and PulseAudio as well as slow made-for-smart-TV desktop environments like GNOME and everything feature you could dream of and ten more but half make it crash desktops like KDE Plasma. The mpv movie player and the gnome-mpv front-end for it are included. antiX Linux – 19.x Series Architecture: i686, x86_64. Status: Active. It's low spec and it's upgrade ability is severely limited. The Live ISO desktop has a handy little "Install" icon on it which launches it's installer. Get newsletters and notices that include site news, special offers and exclusive discounts about IT products & services. ISO images for antiX are available for i386 and x86-64 in four flavors: 1. 2. Modern CPUs from Intel and AMD do, older chips don't. How or why I overlooked antiX is beyond me, but I'm glad I took another run at this. AntiX MX-14.3 review Updated: January 16, 2015 One of the things you can count on in the Linux community is love and understanding from the wider audience, especially if you write a less favorable review of a distribution favored by a particular segment of the community. There is a friendly forum at antixforum.com. All other Linux distros aimed at older computers either simply would not work or required too much knowledge of Linux for a new or average user. antiX is a fast, lightweight and easy to install systemd-free linux live CD distribution based on Debian Stable for Intel-AMD x86 compatible systems. Using ALSA directly makes a lot of sense for a distribution aimed at light hardware. It's last release was in 2012. antiX includes an even older version 0.9.5.2 of Mirage from 2011. I downloaded antix-16-x64-base.iso from this site and booted by grub2 from iso on hdd: GIMP is available, so is KDEs KolourPaint. Please provide the ad click URL, if possible: © 2020 Slashdot Media. My lovely old IBM think pad T60 get new live!!! Me encanta Antix Linux, de lo mejor entre lo mejor que he probado. antiX offers users the "Magic of MEPIS" in an environment suitable for old computers. Firefox is a bit heavy for older machines but it's a good choice nevertheless. Ends by saying “I am happy with it” (ich bin zufrieden damit). Good detailed look at MX Tools, from Snapshot to Bash Options, showing how they are used. (This may not be possible with some types of ads). Wonderful. Origin: Greece. Rox filer is the default file manager. The mouse was very slow. AntiX is a Debian based distro with both 32 and 64 bit releases. Jump to navigation Jump to search. Once you take care of settings, update the system and programs and install what you want/need, then it's smooth sailing from then on. It's provided on a live CDwhich gives you the chance to try it out. antiX is also a good alternative for those who want a really snappy desktop experience on modern hardware. Share a website with you , Specs. Any/CDN. The promise of antiX and debian was too good to ignore after using the fast and versatile antiX distro. Dillo, last released in 2015, never got into that whole CSS fad the modern web is filled with so most web pages look awful in it. antiX gives two options for disk partitioning: "Auto-install using the entire disk" and a "Custom install on existing partition". No one should have to do much of anything other then select what service provider they want so they can hook up to the wifi. Has the packages required to connect to wired and wireless networks so you can install additional packages and make it your own. If you prefer it over ceni, then you MUST enable it at the live boot menu by pressing F4 > wicd. I agree to receive these communications from SourceForge.net. You can run it live from a cd, live from a usb stick (with persistence ie changes are saved on reboot) as well as setting up a frugal-install from an internal or external hard drive. The antiX (that is read Antics) version that is currently newest is 16.1 and it comes with kernel 4.4.10. I say that for many reasons. This, like other design decisions, does make sense for a distribution which aims to be small and efficient. I had to run ifconfig wlan0 up. So you can enjoy your desktop without heavy systemd interference. That's followed by locale and time zone configuration. antiX Linux' nearest competitor is Puppy Linux and it's appropriate to draw comparisons to Linux from Scratch, Tiny Core, and particularly ArchLinux. OS Type: Linux. However, some of the minor benefits PulseAudio provides such as remixing and per-application volume controls are missing. antiX offers users it's own customized desktop environment "antiX magic" suitable for old computers. Based On N/A (however binaries … antiX is a fast and lightweight Linux distribution. antiX offers users the "Magic of Mepis" in an environment suitable for old computers. All versions of Windows after XP were too much for this computer. Packages for most of the free software games that are available in other distributions can be installed. antiX is different and the developers have made several sacrifices to keep it light and fast. antiX MEPIS is an open source distribution of Linux based on the highly acclaimed and award winning Debian GNU/Linux operating system. After more than five months of development, the MX Linux team has released a new third point version 19.3 of its current MX Linux 19 "Patito Feo" series. The last step is to enter a username and password and a root administration password. It installs easily from that live CD,needing only a partition in which to reside. Full (1.1 GB), which includes IceWM, fluxbox, jwm and herbstluftwm and the LibreOffice suite. Wiki technique pour MX/antiX; Italian Wiki MX/antiX; Russian Wiki MX/antiX; Videos. You can run it live or you can install it. Popularity: 17 (617 hits per day) antiX is a fast, lightweight and easy-to-install Linux live CD distribution based on Debian's "Stable" branch for x86 compatible systems. You must have used base version because the full version does come with a couple of games (gweled and mahjongg) and, more importantly, better localisation for Korean and Chinese fonts. Follow their code on GitHub. AntiX 19 beta 2 released. It also works great on my 12 GB i5 notebook. We accept any form of payment. Of course, anticapitalista is an excellent distribution creator, who has created small to medium sized implementations with great success. Category: From RAM, Live Medium, Old Computers. It is designed to be used on 32-bit (x86 Intel-AMD) compatible machines and features the lightweight IceWM window manager. The only minor problem with it is it's several lack of support for civilized languages, the lack of support for Chinese and Korean fonts in it's locale configuration is very disturbing. Games are optionally available, there's no - not one - installed as a default. French Video … It's a great choice if you are fine with those decisions. But office apps users ,do not despair ,you get all the apps needed for free too!!! Antix is the small Linux version from Mepis. Most modern distributions include a audio mixer called PulseAudio which sits between applications playing audio and the kernels ALSA interface. Like Devuan Linux, antiX is one of the systemd-free Linux distributions. which is useless if one is in this disto trying to get a wifi line out so they can look it up. AntiX-17 supports both 32-bit and 64-bit processors which is not surprising because it focuses on supporting older hardware. My raison d'être for using AntiX-MX-15 is its incredible versatility--it just works. antiX-19 files - Initial release 17 October 2019 Latest release: antiX-19.3 - Released 16 October 2020. antiXs "Control Centre" where various desktop and system options can be configured. Here are a few: it is reasonably easy to install (trivial for a veteran, reasonable for a novice), yet it extremely easy to customize to make it just the way you want it. It has a 300MHz PII, 64 MB ram and a 512 MB linux swap partition. All Debian users where warned that it would be a bad idea to upgrade from an old installation to Buster, because so much had changed, it was recommended that a … Of course, you can install to internal and external drives, sticks, cards etc. antiX is a very flexible linux distribution. installation does not work: Those distros I listed are all great but this review is going to focus on antiX Linux M12 Core. (these days i prefer rufus but it is up to you to choose. It primarily bases it's repo on Debian testing though stable (Debian wheezy) is also available. antiX supports full disk encryption and there's "advanced" options available. It is also extremely light as in capable on running on a Pentium II with 128 MB RAM. I got nothing in this one. Geany, the "Flyewight IDE", is the default text editor. There's no apparmor_status or other AppArmor-related binaries. when they cannot even get it to work to begin with. The default image viewer Mirage is another application which hasn't been updated in a long time. Applications for most purposes are included. That's just stupid and it should have been done better; the disk you are installing to is a far more logical default. antiX Linux defaults to a traditional one-panel desktop with a wallpaper and a few desktop icons. antiX would be a good choice for simple modern hardware like the Raspberry Pi 4 but that ain't happening. The systemd init manager Debian uses is replaced with the very light and old-fashioned sysvinit initialization manager. About the networking and the reported by others problems to connect , I think their source is the fact that today people expect everything to work without any effort from the user's part,not even reading the "user manual"..it is like saying use your intuition ,in which case i d double that ,exactly this is what you need ,intuition ,everything is there ,you just need to get out of the MSwindows mentality. core (350 MB), doesn't have X or window-managers. I started paying more attention to instructions and put on my solver's hat (that is to say i started thinking ,not just clicking).It is really easy to connect to wifi ,with 2(or more) possible alternatives ,(which is double from what a windows system would offer to users). With the (pre-installed) Snapshot tool you can easily create an ISO of your running system and then save it to a USB (or other media) and use "your own" distro as a live session or install back whenever you … Several important languages are not clearly indicated in the locale selection box. That's where the MX of the name comes from.For this reason, it's been called the “best of both worlds” by tech reviewers. RoxTerm is the default terminal emulator. antiX's homepage is at antixlinux.com and the download links are at antixlinux.com/download/. The antiX team, which produces a lightweight Debian-based distribution, has announced the availability of antiX 16. antiX 19 is released, especially created for your older machines www.antixlinux.com forum.antixlinux.com Thanks for watching! antiX offers users the “antiX Magic” in an environment suitable for old and new computers. Thank you!! I love the speed ,lightness and the clean desktop. A SSD is still much better than a HDD because random IO will be much faster even if you are running at SATA I speeds. Wifi, audio, video, all worked wi/o need to configure - just making Flash run took some extra steps. EvoWise. It doesn’t use systemd. It is essentially Debian with a really light-weight default configuration. Before directly jumping on to my tests and results, a brief intro of antiX. scan then apply the ssid anticapitalista. I have uploaded a newer antiX-13_386-full.iso that will remove that error notice. The next step looks optional but it' not: "Select Boot Method" where "Install GRUB for Linux and Windows" is an option. RE: antiX-13_386-full.iso is not x86. antiX Linux is a really light-weight GNU/Linux operating system designed to either be extremely snappy on new hardware or highly usable on older hardware. The default applications are quite old and some of them are rather lacking. antiX 19 is a fast, lightweight and easy to install Linux live CD distribution based on Debian Stable for Intel-AMD x86 compatible systems. Plenty of IceWM themes are included and most of them are available in three flavours: Large, Medium and Small. There really is a huge difference - even if you choose to use antiX Linux - which is one of the least disk-intensive and most light-weight distributions available. You have to do this and you need to choose the right "System boot disk". The most important reason people chose Puppy Linux is: Puppy Linux requires 128MB of RAM and 333Mhz of CPU, although 256MB of RAM is recommended. d.o. antiX is a fast, lightweight and easy to install linux live CD distribution based on Debian Testing and MEPIS for Intel-AMD x86 compatible systems. Linux guy since the 2.0 kernel ages... but for the first time getting a permanent install to serve needs of my family - found AntiX googling for a lite distro that would do a better job than WXP on a 6+ yr old box that somebody gave me. MX Linux is a cooperative venture between the former MEPIS Linux and antiX communities. I'm astonished ! All Rights Reserved. Best WM is Joe's WM ("jwm"), by the way. Sourceforge. Wonderful. antiXs installation procedure is strait-forward and easy. First Impression it's nice (in Vbox) then I installed it on my laptop. NetworkManager is replaced with connman. Providing three different variants of each theme is a sensible and strait-forward way of solving that limitation. antiX has 139 repositories available. General Upgrade Advise For Using antiX Linux On OLD Hardware, https://linuxreviews.org/w/index.php?title=AntiX&oldid=12041, Overtaking Proprietary Software Without Writing Code, Learn to compress and decompress archives with tar, Learn how to convert video files with ffmpeg, Learn to lists the ports a system is listening on, see a games FPS Second and other data in a HUD overlay, use the numeric keyboard keys as mouse in XOrg, Base (700 MB), the window-managers at full there's no pre-installed office suite. Click URL instructions: That's it and you're done with the installation process. The Puppy line of distros is a smorgasbord of variations. Runs fast, works good. As an example, twofish performs best followed by serpent on a AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 435 Processor - and AES is by far slowest alternative. forget HerbstLuftWM, it's junk. especially if you ve never used linux before,i think you ll be amazed !! We accept any form of payment. antiX 19.1 with a custom WJSN wallpaper and the included "icenoir" theme. antiX has long been one of the finest distributions available. Please refer to our, I agree to receive these communications from SourceForge.net via the means indicated above. It should run on most computers, ranging from 256MB old PIII systems with pre-configured swap to the latest powerful boxes. IceWM is really light and highly customizable. Kudos for AntiX ! Old abandoned software is a theme, a whole lot of the applications included in the default installation are old and unmaintained. antiX has long been one of the finest distributions available. All bookmarks and passwords were easy to get by synching my browser (I use now Slimjet ,best faster browser ever,and light.I boot and have OS and browser open with only 130MB RAM consumed ,after installation on the HDD ) Get project updates, sponsored content from our select partners, and more. antiX is a super lightweight desktop Linux distribution that is systemd-free and targetted to very old hardware and systems. You can run it live or you can install it. It doesn't even have solitaire! AntiX & MX Linux share developers & ideas, but are really quite different distros, so no, not the same at all. MX Linux is a cooperative venture between the antiX and former MEPIS communities, using the best tools and talents from each distro. Other graphics programs can be installed. Making a Live USB of those (the "base" fits the side of a CD for those who want to go full old-school) and booting results in a Live Linux environment with X and a IceWM desktop. antiX doesn't come with a single game. no excuse to have fail so badly in something that no one should have to look up how to hook up to the wifi. Believe you will love it. antiX does not come with a single game pre-installed. initrd (loop)/antiX/initrd.gz We tested antiX Linux 19.1 for the purpose of this review. base (140 MB) is really basic, there's no X or wireless network support but you can get up and running and use wired networking. On any of the fancy desktops that are installed on it. menuentry "antiX ISO Boot" { Some of them are based on Ubuntu and can run some, if not all, of the Ubuntu software with a little tweaking. Please don't fill out this field.