In the Pacific Northwest, you can find the California (Blenheim variety) dried apricots at Safeway as well as Trader Joe’s. This recipe looks awesome! I will look it up! The olive oil really compliments the flavor of the rosemary. Just the word ‘sulphur dioxide’ conjurs up an image in my head that I’m going to be poisoned and choke to death when I chew on one of those apricots. Kinda had my eye on those, I guess I need to make my own pilgrimage to Baked! These are wonderful to serve to guests! I need more hours in the day so that I can work through every recipe! Tammy: You remove the seeds from the papery pods and crush the grains in a mortar and pestle or spice grinder (or put them in a sturdy plastic bag and whack them with a rolling pin), until as they resemble freshly ground pepper in size. I’m sure they thought I was some sort of sugar-zombie the way I attacked it, but it was quite wonderful and had a sweet-savory je ne sais quoi that I couldn’t figure out until I opened up their latest book, Baked Explorations and found the secret ingredient: a generous spoonful of fresh rosemary in the dough. Isn’t it therapeutic? David, I am planning to try the cardamom version. I was drawn to this recipe because of the rosemary. there were also other packages from turkey, but the south african ones are the tangy ones you refer to. Those guys rock and I hope they continue to expand. Otherwise it’s a matter of preference; sulphured apricots are generally more bright in color since the sulphur helps them retain that. macarons along with a batch of chocolate-licorice, and a batch of matcha macarons I’ll have to try this version…I like the idea of the lemon zest, plus it will give me a reason to make them again! If you give this recipe a try, do hunt some down. Very sweet!! My favorite bakery knows me as “The Corner Brownie Lady.” I need to bring this idea to them! yum! Recipe sounds truly wonderful but if I have the misfortune (not) of living in Paris, what sort of apricots should I use and where would I get them from? Thanks god the holiday is upon us. https://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/325/Apricot_Cookie_Bar52535.shtml Oh I hear ya. Baked is definitely on the list for the next NY visit, even if it is an hours bus ride. As in right away. Are you looking for a quick and easy recipe? The apricot bars sound amazing…but what are those chocolatey bars you have pictured above? i’m mostly used to seeing the dark, soft turkish figs in europe too. I’ve always avoided apricot bars, fearing they would be too sweat and gacky. Also have to let you know that since you did the article on Speculoos spread, I’ve been eating it on everything. Granny’s Old Fashioned Apricot Bars 12 ounces chopped dried apricots 2 Tbsps. Sure. For some reason, I woke up the other morning at 3:30am after an awfully late dinner of steak-frites the night before and couldn’t get back to sleep. The idea of rosemary dough just blew my mind….I’m going to have to try this out! Dried Apricots - 150 gm ; Maida - 4.5 tbsp ; Baking powder - 1/2 tsp ; Salt - a pinch ; Almond Essence - 2-3 drops ; Brown sugar - 3/4 cup ; Eggs - 2 ; Lime rind - 1 tsp ; Raisins - 2 tbsp ; Chopped nuts - 2 tbsp ; Vanilla essence - 1 tsp; How to Make Apricot Bars. Maybe sandwich that peach filling between layers of cake? They were always the hit of any event that she baked them for. Except for the ‘supernatural brownies’ which are the only ones that Man Cub will eat. Simply swap out some raisins, dried cranberries, or whichever dried fruit you have on hand. It held together just fine. Found a bag of dried peaches in my pantry while digging around for the apricots. Chocolate-Covered Caramelized Matzoh Crunch, Categories: Cookies, Bars & Brownies Dining & Travel New York City Recipes, Tags: apricot Baked bakery Brooklyn brownies chocolate chocolate cake cookies Herbs Matt Lewis new york Red Hook Renato Poliafito rosemary. Thank you! The key is to use really ripe fruit. I followed the topping recipe exactly and it was very crumbly, but meltingly delicious. Although I am not a dessert person I am regularly found to be drooling over your posts, David. Last updated Sep 27, 2020. Is it in the book you have?? BAKED is always my last stop before home after shopping at Fairway in Red Hook, Brooklyn. Make the rosemary dough by creaming the butter with the powdered sugar and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer, or by hand, until it’s light and fluffy. Any ideas what to do with ~2 cups of prune-like peachy paste? Who knew? I am quite sure I will love this apricot bar and now will have to make room for them on the Thanksgiving cookie platter…. Which I did. https://recipeland.com/recipe/v/apricot-walnut-cereal-bars-48834 I have every reason to eat make this, eat this, and eat more. Amazing Apricot Bars Palatable Pastime. They can be found at http://www.brfarms.com. I don’t have a coffee grinder so I tried to use my mini cuisinart but it didn’t work. By USA WEEKEND columnist Pam Anderson. I forgot to take note of them before I disposed of the package but I’m pretty sure they weren’t from California. I have every reason to make this, eat this, and eat more. And I know this might get me into a little trouble, but I found I had a sweet spot for the authors as well. Dried apricots are a wonderful fruit addition to these easy homemade oatmeal cookies. baking powder 1/4 tsp. Both Baked books are just so amazing. It’s an excellent book, well written, good instructions and most importantly – reliable results. Set aside. Baked was one place I *had* to visit when I was in New York, and it didn’t disappoint at all. I had despaired of ever finding them How do they get the frosting so round and plump? Baked sounds like an intriguing book. Not only are they great bakers they’ve got a great sense of humour – check out their book promo videos on YouTube – under brooklynbaked. Grease a 7- or 8-inch-square baking dish with a little oil and line it with plastic wrap. Place the maple syrup, almond butter, dates and 150ml of water in a small saucepan over a low heat. We get two types of dried apricots in New Zealand: Turkish ones, which are small, pale, plump and flavourless, and our own South Island ones, which are like an apricot explosion going off in your mouth. 4. I only discovered ‘slab’ apricots last year at TJs and it rocked my world. They are lovely. In the Monterey Bay area of California we depend on B&R farms for their wonderful dried apricots. Those apricot squares really could tempt me seriously; and they look quite healthy too (always a bonus when explaining to oneself why one’s indulging in something not strictly necessary!)…. I stumbled across Baked in a feature in British Magazine Food and Travel and got onto Amazon and ordered it immediately! Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the Dried Apricots, Raisins and Flaked Almonds. looks like i’ll be making a visit to migros later today…. If one couldn’t find California (or otherwise) apricots, could they use regular sweetened apricots and just cut down on the sugar instead? I know it’s a bit blasphemous to make shortbread without butter, but I made the shortbread with a combination of 8 T olive oil and 5 T Earth Balance and an additional 1/4 cup of powdered sugar, and it came out great. I have found myself baking in the middle of the night more than once before as well! Kerrin: If you do get them, (they’re in the green Migros package), I’d love to know where they’re from. I can’t wait to try them! Interesting that the Swiss like tangy apricots whereas they’re hard to find in other places in Europe. Agree – NZ Otago apricots are like apricots should taste – fresh and dried. Help! Apricot Recipes Sweet Recipes Apricot Puree Recipe Apricot Ideas Cookie Desserts Dessert Recipes Bar Recipes Fish Recipes Recipies. Wonderful post, thank you so much – and yes, I am coming from breakfast and I could still eat those…. I’m finding both regular and unsulfured Blenheim apricots at Trader Joe’s, is one preferable to the other? Yes No No Preference. but instead of hydrogenated oil, starch and wax as some sprinkles tend to have, they are natural. I’m a little embarrassed to admit this in such company so please pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is a “spicy” brownie? I particularly love your photos my friend; they could tempt a saint! Going to try the combo in a ganache filling for chocolate 2. Drain through a fine sieve, and chop fine. https://www.rosannadavisonnutrition.com/oaty-apricot-breakfast-bars 9. We do get plenty of fresh Royal apricots here in France but the dried ones remain elusive. But one thing I did bring with me to Paris were bags of dried California apricots, which are what they use for these apricot bars. I can’t wait to try it this Thanksgiving. This search takes into account your taste preferences. Simple words – but your blog is amazing! Bring to a boil over high heat. But they’re a lot cheaper so people are buying them over the California apricots, which are of the Blenheim variety. Could I order a dozen or so ‘postcards’ of the Brown/ie Tray / Glass Jar compo please? I mean, each and every dessert sounded like something I not only wanted to bake, but wanted to eat. Definitely a keeper. God I need this book. Gently heat for 10 minutes, mashing the dates with the back of your spoon, until you have a … You leave me with an intense craving now, am off to find something, but before that, lemme place an order for that book now!! 1. apricots: I am always going for the ‘sour’ ones and I seem to remember (fondly) that the Migros ones were pretty good…. I’m so glad you have this blog, because after I read your book I was craving for more of your writing and your recipes. This is the best apricot bar ever! Make the crumb topping by mixing together the 1/2 cup (70g) flour, brown sugar, nuts, salt, and butter in the bowl of the stand mixer, with the paddle attachment, until the mixture just barely starts clumping together. I can’t wait to try them! Apricot bars are a great dessert to throw together last minute. This feeling can be used in many other recipes: tarts with frangipane anyone? Looks like I’ll be making these this weekend…along with a large pot of mulled wine. Apricots are a rarely used ingredient so add a little flash to your entertaining recipes. Apricot balls made with dried apricots, condensed milk, coconut and brown sugar By Diane Bell. I remember they always had a bowl of fresh apricots in the kitchen, and dried apricots to snack on. This is definitely a crowd pleaser and a great tea time snack.One of the best things about summer is, of course, the variety of fruits! I was worried by how dry the topping looked, and thought it might just fall off with every bite. Joanne: I asked them about that and Matt told me that the recipe in the book is the version they did at their Savannah outpost of Baked, and was a bit different than the Brooklyn version, shown in the post. I definately have to buy that cookbook. Mmmm, they sound delicious. I just look through the packet and look for the small, hard ones which are probably sourer. I made the chocolate mint grasshoppers and they were out of this world good! Thanks for giving sources for California apricots. Got hubby to try a bite and he was surprised.’Said If you pan is large enough, add the flour, salt and oats. But after having been pureed and cooled in the fridge, it thickened to just the right consistency. Soak apricots overnight in just enough water to cover them completely. In our humid climate, I wonder if chunks of salt will become moist and attract water. [i’ll be back in paris next month, so don’t hesitate to drop me an email if you want me to throw a few bags in my suitcase for you.]. These apricot crumble squares are a great twist on the classic fruit crumble tarts. I go hopelessly weak in the knees for desserts with rosemary. A moist apricot-walnut layer on top of a light buttery shortbread crust. These, I think, might just be the ones. I’d stalked called them in advance to see if they had some free time to share some treats and when I arrived, I didn’t know where to begin. :). For an out-of-this-world feeling, add fresh or frozen cranberries (not dried)! Thanks for all of the wonderful recipes and for teaching my daughter how to make ice cream. cool to know i can find the others here. the ingredients list includes: cocoa powder, skim milk powder, butter … and rosemary extract. You might want to pick up the first and give it a go from there, too. It’s the best source and it is all from California. Gah! She used the preserves which were much easier to use than starting that part from scratch. My mother-in-law has a to-die for apricot bar recipe…chock full of butter-y dough and sweet, heavenly apricot preserve topping. I’m a fan of Baked too, a specially of sweet and salty cake. I grew up in CA in a home with two apricot trees and we dried them. Hi, I’m from Poland. I think these must be like the California ones. Sigh. These delicious apricot almond granola bars … (Admittedly, I don’t think they’re planning on opening a transatlantic outpost so you’re all safe from seeing me in leather and shackles.). Recipe by Sydney Mike. The apricot filling can be prepared hours in advance. ), and it was absolutely delicious! That apricot recipe was the first one I made out of that book (and there are many I want to make! Sadly I am going to have to wait until my next big Amazon order for this one. Ellen: Sun-Maid does distribute California apricots, as well as the “Mediterranean” variety so you might want to check in a few grocery stores in your area to see if they are sneaking them in there. milk chocolate. So don’t monkey around; use the right dried fruits. Cooking time is … Cover with water and boil 10 minutes. Yield is only estimated depending on the size of bars. Add the vanilla, lemon zest, and rosemary, then gradually add in the 1 3/4 cup (250g) flour, mixing until the dough is smooth. And your recipes and ideas; I love them. APRICOT DREAM BARS : 2/3 c. dried apricots 1/2 c. butter 1/4 c. granulated sugar 1 1/3 c. sifted all-purpose flour 2 eggs 1 c. brown sugar, packed 1/2 tsp. I then substituted coconut fat for the butter in the crumb topping. I’m not much of an apricot person, but I’m drooling over the box of corner brownies. Big, steaming cups of hot coffee were the first order of the morning as I plowed my way through a platter of cookies while they were being nice, polite gentlemen and trying to properly welcome a visitor. I think the bigger pan will yield the right proportions. They are also easy to transport and are therefore perfect for summer picnics. Ingredients 12 ounces dried apricots (11/2 cups) 1 ¾ cups sugar sugar divided ¾ cup butter softened 2 cups flour ½ teaspoon soda ½ teaspoon salt 1 cup sweetened coconut toasted ½ … Those bars look awesome. A simple, easy and effortless recipe to make whether you use fresh, canned or frozen apricots. It worked fantastically well, paired beautifully with devils food layers ( I used Tish Boyles Cake book recipe) and had a kind of chrissmassy vibe to it, so I’m going to do it again on Xmas day. Let cool for a few minutes, stirring, then puree in a food processor until smooth. & my mom is not happy that she wasn’t asked to bake it. I loved the first Baked book, so I am really excited about this new one. Normally I make a nosedive into anything chocolate, but it was the Apricot Bars with their crumbly nut topping that I found myself reaching for repeatedly. This post contains affiliate links. This recipe comes from the 10-12 Dec 2004 issue of the USA Weekend newspaper. So yesterday as D and I boarded a 2 hour bus to head out of town on a day trip (which subsequently proceeded to break down 20 minutes outside of town) I really wish I had these dried apricot bars to snack on during the ride. I love BAKED goodies- particularly their sweet and salty cake and their pumpkin whoopie pies. Aug 1, 2018 - Dried apricots are so flavorful, so nutritious and bright & colorful. If anyone is looking to add other fruit, a mix of apricot and dates is quite nice. those sound soooo tasty! Portable, one-handed snacks have been my saving grace lately, since sitting down for a full meal can be a bit unpredictable with a baby. I <3 fall. https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/joannes-apricot-bars-231313 Though I think both vary according to brand, I’ve had “California-style” apricots which were sugary sweet and misleading, and plump, sugary Australian ones too. These look divine – I love the idea of the cardamom variation. it was “interesting”. I think it is one of the best bakeries in North America! What are the bars with the pecans on top, right next to the apricot bars? merci And it results in awesome breakfasts! Unlike other dried apricots that are plump and sugary-sweet, we used to call these “dried monkey ears” for no other reason than we were being goofy in the kitchen. brandy, see variation below ½ cup sugar ¾ cup orange juice ¾ cup water 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour 1 ¼ cups powdered sugar 1 tsp. Australian apricots are very similar to California apricots. As for the cookies, I see a particularly succulent looking one on that platter, chocolate topped with pecans? I haven’t had the chance to actually flip through it yet so your post has been like a good teaser trailer. Thanks. Place apricots in a small saucepan with enough water to cover. Lucky you that you got to visit! Erica: I fell in love with their first book, Baked, and am just working my way through their second book now. See more ideas about apricot recipes, recipes, dried apricot recipes. Do you think there should be genuine cause for concern on the matter or just consider it another unavoidable preservative? with Belgian white chocolate ganache filling. I just made the rosemary squares… tweaked? Mix thoroughly until everything is covered in the syrup mixture. I love it so much, that instead of my usual dark chocolate/ creme fraiche ganache, last time I made a chocolate layer cake, I used the spread (about 1/2 cup),and a cup of cream, melted them together, then threw in 8oz. I’m going to go out on a limb and say that if these guys ever want to open a branch of Baked in Paris, I’ll be there kitchen slave and do whatever they ask. It’s incredible, although every single recipe in that cookbook is to die for. It is one of the best fruit based feelings I’ve tasted. Great recipe with the following tweaks: MSRP is the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price, which may differ from actual selling prices in your area. These sound like every single good thing I wish for in a bar. Transfer the dough to the prepared baking pan and pat it flat into the bottom of the pan using lightly floured hands. 7. Karen and Gavrielle: A lot of those apricots are now being called “Mediterranean apricots” because I guess that sounds a bit sexier. If you are looking for a mail order source for great California dried Blenheim apricots, check out CJ Olson’s http://www.cjolsoncherries.com. It's a great tasting fruit bar, but you do need to watch out for … All rights reserved.Part of the Whirlpool Corp. family of brands. Oddly, Americans have a reputation for liking things sweetened, but we also have a fondness for things like kale, radicchio, as well as tangy dried apricots. Whether you are talking berries, … 6. I’m obsessed with using rosemary in sweet dishes. I was hoping they would last longer than three days, but my husband is doing his best to ensure they will be all gone before then. those apricot bars look delicious, and so do all those other wonderful desserts! brandy, see variation below ½ cup sugar ¾ cup orange juice ¾ cup water 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour 1 ¼ cups powde… which I hate. The Apricot bars are to die for…..every recipe I have tried on your website has been a runaway success..so I bought your book “The Sweet Life in Paris”..and like your recipes, it is a complete success,I love your style of writing very much. carolg. Rosemary Squares sound delicious and I have already added Baked to my list of stops to make on my next trip to the east coast – their goods look amazing and I am SO intrigued by the idea of a spicy brownie! I skipped cooling the shortbread crust (ran out of time) and used a fairly tart apricot compote/jam I made this summer (with Oregon apricots) and just added the brandy to the compote. (Trader Joe’s usually has the best price though.) Slideshow: More Cookie Recipes In a mixer, beat together the butter and brown sugar until well … This online merchant is located in the United States at 883 E. San Carlos Ave., San Carlos, CA 94070. I must admit I’ve been guilty of buying those Turkish apricots. You must try the pumpkin whoopie pie recipe. They don’t look pretty though, so if you’re using apricots for show (dipping in chocolate or other confection), it makes sense to use the Mediterranean or Turkish apricots. I loved it. They’re so sweet they hurt my teeth. hmph. vanilla extract 1/2 c. chopped nuts Confectioners' sugar Dates, prunes or other dried fruits may be used in place of apricots (if so desired) Rinse apricots. I had the most phenomenal ginger molasses chocolate cookie. No problem. Granny’s Old Fashioned Apricot Bars 12 ounces chopped dried apricots 2 Tbsps. I do personally love the dried apricots in these bars in the summer, as the blend of apricot … Thank you so much for the recipe, David! I saw the baked brownie with salty caramel on the Best Thing I Ever Ate and have been searching high and low for that recipe. Meanwhile, destone and roughly tear the dates, and roughly chop the apricots and chocolate. Storage: The bars can be stored at room temperature or in the refrigerator for up to three days. Puree the apricots in a blender or food processor until smooth. I’ve been wanting to get one for a while now but can never decide which to get, so I just end up drooling over their recipes from a distance. I’s not exactly the same cake but veeery tasty and original ;-), http://gebawniebie.blogspot.com/2010/08/sodko-sony-tort-sodko-sony-tort-to_29.html. TY. Rosemary dough – brilliant! Pistachio-Apricot Rugelach. But I’m pretty sensitive to odors and I’ve not smelled anything unusual. Part of the Whirlpool Corp. family of brands, This search takes into account your taste preferences, granulated sugar, dried cranberries, old fashioned oats, unsalted butter and 11 more, honey, salt, apricot jam, dried cranberries, all-purpose flour and 10 more, cranberries, light brown sugar, ground nutmeg, almond extract and 16 more, dried apricot, apricot jam, light brown sugar, all-purpose flour and 7 more, salt, brown sugar, dried apricots, eggs, plain flour, baking powder and 4 more, Pillsbury BEST All Purpose Flour, firmly packed brown sugar, almond extract and 9 more, baking powder, vanilla, powdered sugar, brown sugar, eggs, salt and 6 more, salt, vanilla extract, ground walnuts, heavy cream, granulated sugar and 9 more, egg, all purpose flour, grated lemon zest, canola oil, dried apricots and 7 more, vanilla extract, butter, granulated sugar, oats, butter, water and 5 more, granulated sugar, butter, salt, flour, vanilla pod, icing sugar and 3 more, flaxseed meal, raw almonds, ground cinnamon, dates, lemon zest and 2 more, curry powder, honey, roasted cashews, hemp hearts, dried apricots and 4 more, baking soda, coconut sugar, apricots, grass-fed butter, almond meal and 4 more, butter, vanilla chips, sliced almonds, vanilla extract, all purpose flour and 4 more, salt, white flour, buckwheat flour, sourdough, fresh yeast, dried apricots and 2 more, cinnamon, water, lemon juice, salt, maple syrup, walnuts, coconut oil and 8 more, sunflower seed butter, honey, Crispy Rice Cereal, apricots, unsweetened shredded coconut and 2 more, water, tapioca flour, butter, almond flour, coconut sugar, baking powder and 8 more, salted butter, flour, oats, baking powder, apricot preserves and 2 more, toasted walnuts, baking powder, powdered sugar, granulated white sugar and 9 more, coconut, butter, flour, vanilla, sugar, apricot preserves, baking powder and 2 more, heavy cream, gelatin, vanilla extract, water, unsalted butter and 11 more, flour, salt, powdered sugar, all purpose flour, apricot halves and 8 more, apricot jam, salt, baking powder, brown sugar, powdered sugar and 3 more, packed brown sugar, salt, dried apricots, agave nectar, pure vanilla and 13 more, flour, coconut, slivered almonds, egg, vanilla, sugar, baking powder and 2 more, apricot preserves, vanilla extract, rolled oats, bananas, pumpkin, lemon juice, sugar, water, dried apricot, flour, dried apricots, chopped nuts, salt, eggs, firmly packed brown sugar and 4 more, oat flour, brown sugar, salt, whole wheat flour, eggs, apricots and 4 more, walnut halves, strong white flour, water, salt, dried apricots and 6 more, jam, dried cranberries, apricot fruit spread, egg, butter, almonds, hazelnuts, golden syrup, honey, dried apricots, dried cherries and 2 more, honey, apricots, plain flour, verjuice, free range eggs, plain flour and 7 more, vegetable oil spray, all purpose flour, unsalted butter, powdered sugar and 10 more, Buckwheat, Hazelnut, and Dried Apricot Bread, Kelli’s Rosemary Apricot Bars (gluten free), White Nougat With Dried Apricot And Cherry, Dried Apricot Tart with Verjuice and Honey. Sweets Apricot & Plum Coconut Bars (gluten, egg, dairy free) By Andrea Sprague November 30, 2020Andrea Sprague November 30, 2020 Spread the … My next trip to a cultural society will have to include searching for some yummy dried apricots! They were dried white peaches that had expired…well…a while ago. the baked book has been on my chanukah list – glad the holiday is so early this year ! Simmer over low heat for about 45 minutes, or until all the liquid has just about been absorbed. While I used fresh, seasonal apricots, it would be just as good with frozen. I’d been planning for this trip for years, ever since I first laid my hands on a copy of Baked, the cookbook. ®/™©2020 Yummly. Dried fruit is a pantry staple, especially handy during winter months. Reduce heat to simmer, and cook until plumped, about 15 minutes. Pour into a bowl and set in freezer … salt 1 tsp. In a separate mixing bowl, stir together the flour, starch, oats, and brown sugar. A google search brings up a few discussions on the topic. How do I grate it? I’ve already ordered their cookbook online and referred a friend to check them out when she goes to NY in a month, and I’ve never even been to their bakery. David or any readers – do you recommend one of their books over the other? Unfortunately I left my whips and chains back in San Francisco so I don’t think that’s going to happen. If not, transfer everything to a large mixing bowl. I had expected it to be similar to the apricot flavor but it’s closer to prunes. There are a lot of Glacéed (or glazed) apricots, which they also sell in France, that are heavily sweetened. If you give this recipe a try, do hunt some down. I used 3 T, but would advise maybe adding an additional tablespoon – the flavor was great but it was a bit dryer than it should have been. These are delicious–thank you. Unfortunately it took me about a year after I read their book (and an interesting bus ride from Manhattan) to get there, but it was worth the wait.