The attention to detail in the natural appearance of the bunkering, plus the way the land unfurls just makes for better grounds for golf. Los Feliz Golf Course 76 Golf. Bunkers don't look like they've been raked in months. With any luck, Griffith Park will get the attention it deserves as well. One of the great strengths of the course is its myriad half-par holes. Pace of play and conditioning can be an issue. I would gladly pay $100/round but there's no course within 30-45 minutes of me” more, “This is not a golf review, it's an event review. Our ladies from the LA Foothill Cities Chapter of the LPGA Amateurs enjoy playing here, especially our new golfers. Brilliantly located amidst the Cleveland National Forest in … In 2015 Todd Eckenrod, restored the Tilly and Bell look and feel. Angeles golf course, the only course that Jack Nicklaus designed in L.A. County, rests in the foothills below Angeles National Forest, right off the 210 freeway. well maintained greens, takes about 2.5-3 hours to play through. What George Thomas was able to do with a relatively small parcel of land (130 acres) in a canyon basin is remarkable. Oh, and I may be a period piece-lover but the bye hole 17th is a real treat to play. Great view,” more, “Receive instruction from top instructors using industry leading technology.” more. It is an 18-hole, par 71 championship course … He uses a video camera to record your swings and pulls up the footage to show you what to correct, which…” more, “Great golf course for being smack in middle of the city, fresh greens the staff is pretty helpful, very Covid conscious. They also have an automated ball dispenser for the driving range, which is a major plus. 3207 Los Feliz Blvd. Thomas developed the two municipal courses at Griffith Park in 1923-1927, named after Presidents Wilson and Harding. The arid nature of the location, combined with the minimalist design and the contours of the land, give the places the feel of a links. PS… Stay for the food as well. RANCHO PARK GOLF COURSE. The oldest course in the Los Angeles area is the The Los Angeles Country Club which was designed by George C. Thomas Jr. and opened in 1897. This 17-18 hole public pitch-and-putt is unique in that it’s just behind LACC and set amidst Gatsby-like mansions. Maybe something challenging w/ water hazards near the hole? Lastly, a good friend recently recommended Hillcrest Country Club, a William Watson design that has been refreshed by Kyle Phillips.. Having seen the incredible work by Phillips at Cal Club, I cannot wait to see Hillcrest. Los Verdes Golf Course is considered by many to be one of the best golf values anywhere, tucked above the cliffs in Rancho Palos Verdes, California. The kitchen plays at scratch! Rustic Canyon is perhaps the … Foursquare Favorite: Los Feliz Municipal Golf Course. On GOLF Magazine’s new list of Top 100 Courses in the United States, Los Angeles CC North gets top billing in the Los Angeles area, with Riviera close behind. It is a small piece of property, but a good, solid routing with loads of strategy and fun. My own ranking has Riviera slightly ahead of LACC. The 11th is the best par-3 in Los Angeles. Open to the public, go earlier as it goes get crowded quickly” more, “The course is really beat up all the way around. It was the site of Jack Nicklaus’ first tournament and paycheck as a professional. It’s also where Arnold Palmer won his three LA Opens. What I love about playing Riviera is the variety of shots it calls for, and aside from the 1st hole, it is a true challenge. It’s no weak sister to the big three, and an invite here won’t ever disappoint. Both are very solid values and won’t disappoint. Riv also has one of the best short par-4’s in the world in the 10th. Golf Courses in Los Angeles. The only Jack Nicklaus Design golf course in Los Angeles County is Angeles National Golf Club, located at the base of the Los Angeles National Forest, less than 30 minutes north of downtown … That honor goes to the 4th. Riviera also has one of the iconic par-4s in golf (the 10th), along with pomp and majesty of the clubhouse location and the amphitheater 18th. Contact the course … strictly walking although they rent out” more, “Horrible service. They removed trees, added bunkers and revived original Thomas characteristics, including the “Mae West” mounds on 12. Discovered to some measure, it’s an intimate Kyle Phillips renovation set in Hancock Park that plays far bigger and bolder than its footprint. The routing is also strong. Adding a business to Yelp is always free. They also did away with work by other architects that had diminished the quality of the course. Traffic is light right now, so let’s go east of downtown to Hacienda Golf Club in La Habra. Matt Ginella lists some of the best public golf courses you can play in Los Angeles. Rancho Park Golf Course is the public golf club in the western United States, located in southern California in the city of Los Angeles. Think large greens, large fairways, and tightly mown grass. As a club, Riviera has a long way to go to make it friendly and welcoming. The greens, the naturalness of the hazards and the shot values are stellar, and a boon for public-access golf. Los Angeles, CA 90039. https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/top-lists/best-public-golf-courses-los-angeles Not overly long by today’s standards, but there is enough variety and defense to make it challenging. Golf carts have GPS for yardage. Golf architect William Watson built the course in the early 1920s, on property that covers rolling topography, with a natural creek running through it. Would recommend to anyone. There are no weak holes, and you’re rewarded if you can hit the ball both ways off the tee. No better place I can think of to hone your short game with a smile on your face, no matter the outcome of any shot. Atwater Village. Overall one of the worst course I've played in a while. The nearby ocean makes putting a real challenge on almost every hole. Course needs TLC BADLY.” more, “Good little 9 hole course. It’s tougher than it looks and shot-values here are high. Two Gil Hanse gems and both very affordable, worth the short drive. Smith was a student of great golf courses. If a friend asked you for public-access recommendations in the LA-area, which two courses would you point them to first, and why? Angeles National Golf Club. Another thing that sets LACC apart is the gorgeous bunkering. The Bel-Air Country Club, Riviera Country Club, and the Los Angeles Country Club all speak to the upscale neighborhoods around them; Bel-Air, Pacific Palisades, and Holmby Hills are leafy, green neighborhoods far from the urban bustle of downtown Los Angeles. The fairways were well groomed and the greens were great! But the club is beautiful, the bartender was exceptional, and that would give it a 4-5 Star. … Course Rater Confidential: What are New England's best inland and coastal courses? The result is impressive. February 21, 2016. The modern Hanse, Wagner & Shackelford LACC team design is a sharp contrast to the Thomas courses mentioned above. ... With the purchase of an L.A. City Player Card, you may book tee times 9 days in advance (7 days for the general public… There are grand resorts, and grand golf courses… The redo is fabulous at LACC and it is a great place, but for straight golf, I prefer Riv. Vets very helpful. And what if we were looking for the top three LA-area courses? Seabee Golf Course is open to, and welcomes, the public. The browned-out “rustic” waste areas enhance the ambiance. Steve McHugh (Panelist since 2009; has played 75 of the World Top 100): I enjoy the strategy and shot value at Riviera more than at LACC. “This is a very … Current count is 95 out of 100. It has been redone, it is fun and great looking. Since 1949. You can see GOLF’s latest Top 100 Courses in the World ranking here, and meet all of our Top 100 panelists here. LACC would be 1A in the area, and the work by Gil Hanse and Jim Wagner, with an assist from Geoff Shackelford, is one of the all-time great restoration/renovation projects. The use of a tunnel, an elevator and a swinging bridge make the design a true original. While I cannot speak for GMO, I am an avid golfer, and I can confirm that there are no other races other than "Hispanic" that are…. A good example is the reclaimed short par-4 7th, which can play 290 from the new back tee. Our only "complaint" is that the customer service isn't always very friendly or helpful.” more, “ some of the public courses like Rancho but I just don't have time for 5-6 hour rounds and all the good semi-private courses are at least 1 hour away. Roosevelt Golf Course, located across the street from the famous Greek Theatre in Griffith Park, is a unique executive 9-hole golf course which touts some of the best views of the City of Los Angeles. Griffith Park occupies more than 4,000 acres and is one of the largest urban parks in the nation. It's nice, it's exclusive, but my dinner was just about terrible. LACC’s routing, especially on the front nine (the reclaimed 2nd hole, drivable 6th) is perfect for taking you around the property. Two weeks from now, the PGA Tour is revisiting Houston’s Memorial Park, a municipal course that completed a renovation last year. The best hole on the course is the long par-3 11th , a reverse Redan. 15 reviews. The use of the barranca and limited natural hazards makes Thomas’ routing even more impressive. Active, retired military and veterans receive discounts. there's some pile up as expected on the par 3 holes. Views are a key selling point, … This list of Top 24 Los Angeles Golf Courses and Resorts will help you decide where you'd like to play. Steve Lapper: I’d go with Wilshire CC above all others. Steve McHugh: While Rustic Canyon and Soule Park are not in LA, just north, they are both fantastic. Niall Hay (Panelist since 2020; has played 65 of the World Top 100): Any discussion of Los Angeles area golf begins with the Thomas Triumvirate. Thomas’ shaper Billy Bell must have been instrumental in developing the historically significant bunker style that we recognize today. In fact, when the city of Los Angeles ran out of funding, Thomas himself put in the money to complete the project. Of the Harding and the Wilson courses, I recommend the Wilson, which was touched up at one point by William Watson. one of the iconic par-4s in golf (the 10th), Course Rater Confidential: The best private, public and sleeper courses in the Chicago area, These are the 5 best rewards credit cards for golfers, American beauties: Our 2020-21 rankings of the best golf courses in every state, Why one big-name golf course architect is fiercely tackling a very short, very old muni, Best golf courses in Virginia, according to GOLF Magazine's expert course raters, Course Rater Confidential: Our experts break down GOLF's latest Top 100 Courses in the U.S. ranking, Course Rater Confidential: The best courses (and buddies trip destinations) in the Caribbean, Course Rater Confidential: Why some golfers actually prefer Winged Foot's *other* course. (1) (310) 838-7373. The course was ranked by Travel + Leisure Golf magazine as One of the Top 30 Best New Courses Worldwide and One of the Top Ten Best New Public/Resort courses in the U.S. This guide and map identifies the best public golf courses and golf resorts in Los Angeles, San Diego, Sacramento, and San Francisco as well as in the resorts of Palm Desert, Lake Tahoe and the Sierras, … Watch Morning Drive on Golf Channel. A mention should go to the Armand Hammer/Holmby Park Pony Course. Golf Courses Golf Instruction Golf Practice Ranges. Architect John Harbottle made revisions to the course in 2005 using the natural topography to bring the winding stream and canyon features more into play. 10460 West Pico Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90064 Directions. By contrast, Riviera has, in my opinion, lost some of the naturalness of its hazards: just look at the old pictures. Thomas must have thought enough of the property because, in the midst of the Roaring 20’s, the city told him that he would have to come out of his own pocket to finish the project, and he did. While trying to determine shipping/return policy and things like that, I realized that the warehouse is only a…” more, “I've been taking lessons with Lew for a few weeks now and he is the best! If you only have time for 9, Terranea is great. As a tournament venue, it has a couple claims to fame. GOLF’s Top 100 course panelists are among the most respected and well-traveled course evaluators in the game. Rancho Park Golf Club. The land is almost a combination of LACC and Riviera, and only a true routing wizard could have done what Thomas did in connecting the nines. Niall Hay: My initial response is Rustic Canyon, which is possibly the closest high-quality and affordable public-access course near where the guys are playing this week at Sherwood. The range was pretty good to, they even have a game.” more, “really nice executive course, par 3 and 4s. The Spanish mission style clubhouse serves as an inviting retreat featuring an array of amenities including a restaurant, bar, banquet facilities, event lawn, golf … That said, the following are five of the best public golf courses to be found in Los Angeles. In this GOLF.com series, we’ll unlock their unvarnished views on all questions course-related. Course Rater Confidential: What’s a hidden midwestern gem I should play? It’s very solid, and hosted the LA Open from 1937-1939. This 36-hole golf mecca hosted the … He removed turf, expended greens, and redid the bunkering. Noel Freeman: I would tell them to play Rustic Canyon and Santa Anita. Our group thoroughly enjoyed the layout of the course. Noel Freeman and I recently attended a Zoom symposium on golf course architecture, where we listened to historians Geoff Shackelford and Tommy Naccarato present the quality of Thomas’ routing and the benefits that would come from a restoration. The Lowdown: A championship course that's a favorite of many pros and Hollywood stars from Humphrey Bogart and Walt Disney to Adam Sandler and Luke … Good greens and smart bunkering along with excellent conditioning make this a worthwhile drive from LA. Add in the immaculate conditioning, spectacular clubhouse, Hogan association and history, and it is tough to beat Riv. Top 100 Courses in the World ranking here. Those who do not have base access will require a golf pass, which is free. Alondra Golf Course. Course Rater Confidential: What would scratch and bogey golfers shoot at TPC Harding Park. With the PGA Tour in Southern California this week for the Zozo Championship, we’d like to get your insights into Los Angeles-area golf. More than 200,000 rounds are played on the courses annually, including the City of Los Angeles Junior Championship each spring. With the last of the Thomas Trio, the transformation of Bel-Air by Tom Doak and his team, led by Eric Iverson, has been dramatic. It is … Gil Hanse and Geoff Shackelford restored it, and it’s one of the remaining Herbert Fowler touches. We've compiled a list of the best golf courses in Los Angeles, CA from the national golf periodicals' best public golf courses you can play, plus our own hidden gems. It remains a great and mighty golf course but if they took the ethos that LACC took in restoring it, it would only enhance its shot values. The City of Los Angeles Department of Recreation and Parks invites you to come out for a round on one or all of its beautiful Southern California golf courses. Los Angeles is a city that has so much going on that you’ll want to give yourself plenty of time to explore. The land is superior to Riveria’s, with much more elevation change. The finish line is near. They’re also keen to share their opinions. The three best golf courses in Los Angeles are all on the west side, in private country clubs. If you make it down there, you may also see several PGA Tour players who work with VCC teaching professional Jamie Mulligan. The website is a service to traveling … The iconic 6th hole — with a bunker in the middle of the green — isn’t even the best par-3 on the front. Best golf courses: Around Los Angeles. But because I assume that every other person asked might offer the same answer, I’ll suggest two others: Rancho Park and Griffith Park, a pair of municipal courses that hosted the LA Open on multiple occasions. Eagle Glen Golf Club – Corona, California. Course Rater Confidential: What's the best course and best hole at Bandon Dunes Golf Resort? Santa Anita in Arcadia is a hidden gem, largely overlooked by LA’s golf elite. It’s a stout test of golf. After hosting the US Open in 2015, Chambers Bay comes in at #21. The goal is not only to entertain you but also to give you a better understanding of how to understand and appreciate golf course architecture. In 2011 Los Verdes was honored to receive the Los Angeles County Course … In Los Angeles, the municipal Wilson and Harding courses at Griffith Park, and Rancho Park in the Westside, are wonderful classic courses. Plenty of snowbirds flock to L.A. to play golf … Thomas Brown: I admire Rustic Canyon as well, but I am stuck on George Thomas. Course Rater Confidential: What are the two best public courses in Los Angeles? The course is a regulation 18 holes, par 71. Santa Anita Golf Course is one of the best public courses in the Los Angeles area. Noel Freeman (panelist since 2010; has played 81 of the World Top 100): I do agree with that ranking. Penmar Golf Course. The Riviera Country Club. Either one would make a great day. On a moribund piece of land, he built bold swales, bumps and hollows, infused with traditional strategies. The Alcatraz hole at PGA West’s Stadium course. Rustic Canyon is a Gil Hanse original and a minimalist’s treat. For pure strategy, design, and routing, Riv is one of the greats. Do you agree with that ranking? One more sleeper worth checking out is LACC South. This list represents the 2020 list from Golf Digest’s Top 100 Public Golf Courses. The rubber stuffed chicken would give this place a 0-1 star, yes it was that bad. Carts run out too quickly. There are also another 68 golf courses within 20 miles of Los Angeles, including 10 public, 37 municipal and 21 private courses. Even in an area as well-traveled as LA, there has got to be a sleeper course or two. Great…” more, “Great little 9 hole in a convenient spot just off the 710 freeway. I can’t wait to see how the USGA sets this place for the 2023 U.S. Open. It’s a nice contrast to the North course. Top Los Angeles Golf Courses: See reviews and photos of golf courses in Los Angeles, California on Tripadvisor. short course, so no carts. I went to Starbucks this morning and saw, Anthony, It’s also among the busiest golf courses in the country. Industry Hills Golf Club at Pacific Palms Resort, City of Industry. Let’s define our boundaries as anything within a (traffic-free) hour’s drive of downtown LA. “While searching for a golf club on ebay, I came across this company. Bell went on to become a founding member of the American Society of Golf Course Architects in 1947. It should be higher. The Fowler original bonus hole off 17 is also cool. Los Angeles Country Club. Divots all over greens with goose poop all over the place. The $35 greens fee won’t burn a hole in your balance sheet, and a round affords you wonderful views of the San Gabriel Mountains. Welcome to Westchester Golf Course Conveniently located just north of LAX, near popular Westside beaches and communities, this 18-hole, 4,364 yard public golf course is a fun and affordable challenge … Copyright © 2004–2020 Yelp Inc. Yelp, , and related marks are registered trademarks of Yelp. Marshall's don't leave you alone to have a second to think and enjoy golf.” more, “This is a very cute peaceful course, and pretty well maintained. Notably, 18-year-old Tiger Woods set a course record 62 here en route to his victory at the 1994 Southern California Amateur Championship. The opportunities for golf, as a sidebar or for a vacation, are seemingly endless. Now, Bel-Air also has a course that can stand proudly with its Thomas siblings. Riviera Country Club, Los Angeles. Wilshire is a well-known course that was recently restored and has a terrific history and strategies. Santa Anita Golf Course is one of the best public courses in the Los Angeles area. LACC’s restoration was one of the best of the recent past. In their quality and variety, par 3’s and par 4’s are remarkable, all the more so considering the flat ground. Thomas Brown (Panelist since 2015; has played 95 of the Top 100): Bel-Air Country Club is the third leg of the George Thomas triumvirate. Though only 6,400 yards, the course is big in character. Similarly, Brentwood CC, another well-done Todd Eckenrode renovation has re-invigorated itself into a sturdy members-course on LA’s tony Westside. Steve Lapper: Rustic Canyon and Santa Anita are the clear and worthy favorites. If Riv had a redo like LACC, it would be spectacular! Steve McHugh: While Lakeside may not be a sleeper, it does fly under the radar a bit. ... Best public golf courses in Los Angeles. Tom Doak’s Renaissance Golf Design restored strategic elements to the canyon layout in 2018, and GOLF Magazine panelists recognized the improvement by moving it up twelve slots to 68th in the recently released Top 100 courses in the U.S. Thomas was an amateur golf architect visionary and wrote in detail on Bel-Air’s strategy, advocating for uneven terrain and variety as important design factors in the club’s newsletter during the development of the course. (323) 663-7758. He even added a boomerang green (an homage to George Thomas). The course has a rich history in that it was designed by Billy Bell and William Johnson, on the bones of an earlier Herbert Fowler design. Add Todd Eckenrode’s par-3 course at Terranea as a contender for GOLF’s Top 25 Par-3 Courses in the World. The longest course is Trump National Golf Club Los Angeles… Course Rater Confidential: Is Winged Foot the ultimate U.S. Open venue? Rancho Park is possibly the best of the true LA public courses. Tell us about your favorite. This freeway friendly L.A. County public golf course is sandwiched between … Tee boxes are beat to hell and uneven. Kiawah Island, S.C. / 888-854-2924 / kiawahgolf.com. Being able to pull out the Thomas and Bell elements, along with echoes of Herbert Fowler, was no small feat. Rancho Park Golf Course. There are a half dozen other first-rate holes that could be mentioned. Furthermore, the re-infusion of strategy, thanks to vegetation clearing and width building along with the repositioning of greens back to where George Thomas put them makes LACC flow better. 3207 Los Feliz Blvd. Bel-Air used to be the club where you enjoyed the culture and the lively atmosphere while — if you were lucky — listening to stories from the L’il Pro, Eddie Merrins. Griffith Park is a 36-hole municipal facility, designed by our man George Thomas. Horribly kept. GOLF.com and GOLF Magazine are published by EB GOLF MEDIA LLC, a division of 8AM GOLF. Thomas Brown: Yes! Niall Hay: Originally designed by William Watson in 1921, Virginia Country Club in Long Beach was redesigned by A. W. Tillinghast and William P. “Billy” Bell some 10 years after opening. Pete Dye & Alice Dye (1991) / 7,356 Yards, Par … The rest of the courses try to present a country-club-of-the-day experience for the masses: Black Gold Golf Club, Angeles National and Sand Canyon Country Club, for example. We will definitely be coming…” more, “A great area to hike in PV. There are plenty trails around the golf course and the views are spectacular. Break a Sweat: LA Gyms With Online Classes . Wilson -- a national-caliber course -- and Harding … It includes a driving range, club house and golf shop. Noel Freeman: To me it would come down to Wilshire and Annandale (Pasadena). Course Rater Confidential: What would scratch and bogey golfers shoot at Winged Foot? Which course would you add? You can expect sunshine nearly 300 days per year, meaning the weather is ideal for golf. It’s a great place to bring a wedge, a putter and a beverage. It was built under the WPA in the 1930s by the one-hit architectural wonder and engineer James Harrison Smith. Annandale was sympathetically renovated by Brian Silva and is a wonderful property with great bunkering. Anyone have any recommendations for public courses around LA? Right on the cliffs above the Pacific in Rancho Palos Verdes.