I won’t use it next time. So glad it worked well for you! Good luck! In a bowl, whisk together the flour, brown sugar, salt, and baking soda. Thank you for sharing and so glad you enjoyed the recipe! Hi, I’m Mary. Bake for 60-70 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. A nice topping for ice cream, however. This one is great because it has the option for gluten free or not and uses fruit that is available now! With your fingers, spread the dough evenly in a well-greased jelly roll pan or a half baking sheet with sides, even a 9x13. Press half of this mixture into a well-buttered or parchment lined 9x13 pan. Thanks for a yummy recipe! I could use some of that inspiration when it comes to my own pantry. Thanks for a great recipe. Apricots are a juicy summer fruit perfect for desserts like puddings and cobblers. Driving up to Palm Springs a couple weeks ago we spotted the Dowling Fruit Orchard stand on the fringes of one of their orchards. You'll need to register or log in to upload images. Mix together the jam and fresh, chopped apricots, and then spread evenly over the batter in the pan. 2019 Update: Since that trip we planted a Blenheim Royal apricot tree. * If you do not need a gluten free version of this recipe. especially if they were stuffed into this incredible looking bar. One of my favorite summer desserts is fruit bars like this. These apricot bars look delicious and healthy. I had some apricot liquor that I forgot to add but did put in a generous tablespoon of so of my homemade apricot  jam and reduced sugar. Quite the opposite really, we couldn’t be happier. I also toasted and chopped some pecans for the crust. Thanks! I didn’t have the gran mariner so used orange extract. I’m so glad that you’re enjoying the recipe, Alyson! What is it about apricots that make them so special? I love apricot desserts so I think this may be a new favorite to enjoy in the winter when my apricots are gone. Thanks for giving the UK terminology. Pour into a bowl and set in freezer to chill while you make the crust. Take a small spoon, and drop spoonfuls of the remaining batter on top of the apricot layer, covering as much as possible. These apricot crumble squares are a great twist on the classic fruit crumble tarts. Apricots JUST made a comeback into our local grocery store the last couple of weeks, so I snatched up a lot of them. ), and often want to bake with them. Apricot Almond Crumble Bars are bursting with fresh, sweet, slightly tart apricots and warm, nutty almond flavors topped with a crumble they’re irresistibly delicious! I can’t wait for my family to eat them for breakfast tomorrow (and I will eat one or two tonight for dessert! Press 2/3rds of the crust mixture evenly into the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Allow to cool, then slice and serve. This recipe saved the day!! Haha since I originally wrote that I’ve already made two (smaller) batches of these. Is there a volume amount of the filling that you recommend that is ideal to spread on the bars, for ex, 1 c, 2 c? will try these soon Thanks, I actually like going to Palm Springs during the summer months. I’m so happy that you love them, Cynthia! If you give it a shot we’d love to hear how it comes out. Take the sweet, just-ripe apricot into savory territory by tossing with jalapenos, scallions, fresh ginger, lemon verbena, and red onion in this party-ready summer salsa. I had the same problem with mangoes last season, so many that we had mango puree pouring from the fridge! Served on their own or topped with Vanilla Ice Cream this is a dessert that everyone loves. This is a delicious dish and a great way to use apricots! Using a fork or clean fingers, lightly press half of the crust mixture onto the bottom of the prepared … Creativity from Copiousness – love that. There were so many overripe, mushy and not excellently sweet apricots in the house that i had more than the two pounds needed for the recipe. They are delicious! Glad to hear the porridge oats worked great! These bars are best friend & husband approved and have are seriously so easy to make. There is one thing I do think is better than fresh apricots, though, and that would be fresh apricot jam! My question is, must they be peeled? I typically freeze after baking. They made an excellent brunch. Puree the apricots in a blender or food processor until smooth. We never share your information with third parties and will protect it in accordance with our. 39 Items Magazine subscription – save 44% and get a cookbook of your choice A relative of the peach, this sweet, small stone fruit has soft velvety skin and a creamy texture. If you do, let us know how it works out. Used instant porridge as that was all that was in pantry and it turned out well. In fact, I think porridge oats holds together, in the crumble mix, a bit better. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. I absolutely love apricots Found this recipe and loved it. Will that make that much of a difference? https://www.yummly.com/recipes/apricot-bars-with-dried-apricots A simple, easy and effortless recipe to make whether you use fresh, canned or frozen apricots. A perfect make-ahead bite-size dessert you can bring with you to BBQs and parties. I used slightly tart apricots and this recipe was delicious!! Oh my gosh, I love the way these look. I substituted strawberries, then a mixed berry filling, and of course the apricots that it calls for. We’ve never tried freezing them. Do you think I could substitute butter with earth balance in this recipe without ruining it? This sounds incredible. Thanks for the recipe! Put it all on the crust, which was one of the best crusts i’ve ever tasted, and it was the perfect amount! Using parchment paper to line the pan is a great idea. The apricot bars turned out yummy. With the apricots life short lived, we made these fresh apricot bars to enjoy them a little longer. Lovely idea as I, too, am an apricot lover. I can not sing the praises of parchment paper enough when it comes to recipes like this one. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until the crust turns golden brown. Thankyou for apricot heaven. Topped with a caramel drizzle that is so simple to make. I just made these and they haven’t cooled yet, and I just typed them with ice cream. My apricots were fresh and soft and sweet, so I only used 1/3 cup of sugar with the apricots. The bars are gorgeous. When you have 3 large jars of apricot preserves in your pantry…you make apricot bars! If you happen to get some apricots which are bit of a let down in straight snacking ability, these apricot bars will give them a chance to regain glory. This fixed my concern with the thickness and also tasted amazing. Cool to room temperature before cutting. Last year I canned several bottles of apricot butter, they stayed runny. I used an assortment of stone fruit and included coconut and almond meal in the crumble mix. I made these the other day, but modified them a bit (sorry, I can’t help myself!). Each student will bring me 20-30 Chinese dumplings, 20-30 glutenous rice cakes, or 20-30 moon cakes. If your apricots aren't very sweet, adjust sugar amount to taste. Yummy Wonderful!!! Swipe to se, Dried fruits, Nuts and Seeds via Facebook. Lucky, on our way back we had just made it, 5 minutes before close! In a separate mixing bowl, stir together the flour, starch, oats, and brown sugar. This is really delicious! Press one half of the mixture into a buttered 8” square (or small rectangular) pan. Cook over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved and the apricots are soft. Brunch beneath misters. What a perfect way to use up those apricots. The crust is buttery and loaded with coconut and the apricot filling is sweet and spiced with cardamom. Thank you for such a simple but amazing recipe. Easy Apricot Bar Recipe. I’ve blogged about them and linked back to you. I used 5 cups of apricots and a bit more arrowroot and it was great. ©2020 White On Rice Couple. (Plus, if you make extra or have any left over, it’s delicious on cornbread, biscuits, or grilled chicken!). This would be terrific with blueberries, Nancy. The bars were perfect. We’re now indulging in home grown apricots that are sweet like candy. I just made these using all purpose flour. i haven’t used my puree yet as it’s chilling but Im wondering what the thickness level should be. Wow. Our old family recipe calls for dried apricots, but we really wanted to take advantage of the gorgeous fresh apricots we've been buying in bulk at the store. During June my students give me apricots. ), and it turned out perfectly. Killer recipe! We ate, sucking juices as we bit, nearly half the flat of peaches on the way home. Your email address will not be published. These photographs are so, incredibly gorgeous… I’m obsessed with them! The grocery bagger helped me load my goodies into the back of my car while I wrangled the 18 month old into her carseat, and when I got home, they were all smushed and practically jam already. Hi Francine, Fresh apricots are tossed with cinnamon sugar and then layered between a brown sugar and oat crust to make these Apricot Crisp Bars. I need to thin the stash. ©2020BAREFEETINTHEKITCHEN.COM. The recipe is too sweet for me. absolutely no problem though. mmmm, yum! In a separate mixing bowl, stir together the flour, starch, oats, and brown sugar. Also the liquid from the fruit came out of the sides and burnt. Fantastic! If you can find a good apricot jam, that works great too. Thanks Zoe for sharing! If you prefer more filling, you can increase the amount of Apricot preserves to 3/4 cup. Stir to combine and then let rest on the counter while preparing the crust. Oh the fruits in all their glory! With an electric mixer, cream together butter and sugars until. Apricot bars are one of our favorite desserts to make when they’re sweet and in season. Amy. As if they could read my mind, the incredible White on Rice Couple {Todd & Diane} recently published a recipe for Fresh Apricot Bars. I have made these bars several times already and they are always a hit! Just to say that I used porridge oats, as we call them in England, rather than the coarser, jumbo oats (as we call them! Design by WORC & Purr. Flats that tasted like home garden picked. There is no way I can finish them. Any substitutions for orange liqueur? Add the melted … You're currently on page 1 Page 2 Next; Apricot, cinnamon & olive oil cake. I’ve admired their work for a long time and fantasize about attending one of their food photography workshops …one day. I loved the crust on the bottom. Thanks! How do you make Apricot Shortbread Bars. They were always the hit of any event that she baked them for. I didn’t have orange liquer so I used vanilla essence and a bit of orange rind and juice. Let the bars cool completely and then simply lift them out of the pan to easily slice them. We snatched up as much as we figured we would be able to eat in a few brief minutes, not wanting to delay the hard working staff in getting them home. What really pushes this recipe for apricot bars over the top in my book is the combination of coconut and pecans in the shortbread crust. Thanks in advance : ). Puree the apricots in a blender or food processor until smooth. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. And using all the extras for our apricot bars! Thanks for a great go-to dessert! I always end up using apricot jam instead because I just can’t help myself and eat them all. 9 ratings 4.6 out of 5 star rating. We can’t get enough of Aperol Spritz th, Refreshing Kiwi margaritas to get through this cra, Three styles across the Noguchi river. The apricots were briefly cooked to help break them down, then pureed and spread over, and baked with a crisp type of crust with the oats, butter, and brown sugar. I do have a question about freezing, I read the comments where it freezes nicely but do you freeze it before baking or after? If you don't have fresh apricots on hand, substitute apricot jam. Nov 19, 2014 - Fresh apricot bars recipe made with fresh apricots. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. I am not in a stone fruit season yet, so jam is a great alternative to get that sweet tartness. Thanks! It will definitely work well in a greased baking dish, Delaram. Living in China, I get excessive amounts of various traditional holiday foods each year, and every year I tell my students, friends, and their families to give me limited amounts because I have so many acquaintances that even if they each were to give me only 2-3 pieces of each item it would still be too much. Like to add flaked coconut to firm up the purée- @ 1/2-3/4 cup to the 2.5 cups of purée. Tried these over the weekend and they were great! You’ll be dunking these bars … I just made the recipe with puréed apricots that I had frozen. I thaw at room temp and then reheat individual servings in the microwave. This dessert recipe is wonderful and a great use of your leftover fresh apricots. Any suggestions for a denser filling? Preheat oven to 350°F. These Apricot Bars are dangerously tasty. No chance of fresh ones now in the middle of winter, but there might still be some cooked ones lurking in the freezer…. Pour into a bowl and set in freezer … This post may contain affiliate links. I cut the bars and then glazed so the glaze would drizzle over the edges. If you’re not familiar with the White on Rice Couple, allow me to introduce you. (I made one 9x5x2 loaf and 1 mini loafs). Otherwise, I’d get to making them right this second! Serve with toasted flour tortilla wedges. We haven’t tried it with anything other than butter, but it should work. Mine seems a bit pourable. This recipe was originally published in 2013 and re-published in 2019. Thank you, I happen to LOVE fresh apricots (not a snacking let down at all, here! I’m glad you like it! Apricot puree thickens really nicely naturally, and I usually can cook down a small batch of apricot butter in about 10-15 minutes. Jun 28, 2019 - Delicious fresh apricot bars recipe made with fresh apricots. Work together oats, flour, brown sugar, salt and baking soda with your fingertips in a large bowl until no lumps of brown sugar remain. Very yummy recipe to use up some seriously ripe apricots. I love the idea to use it in the recipe, but we’re unfortunately out at the moment, and that’s the only ingredient I’m lacking. Save some of the water to dissolve the sugar in and then add the softened chopped apricots to the sugar mixture. So good! I’m so glad to see yours! This will not work the same way with dried fruit, Frances. Creativity from Copiousness, if you will. I used the all purpose flour and cornstarch as I did not have arrowroot. I just got a bunch of fresh apricots at the farmers market yesterday! In a small bowl, toss diced apricots with lemon juice. Make use of less than perfect fruits, like the harvest shown below, to make an extremely perfect snack bar that empowers the fresh taste of apricot and lets it shine through the entire dish. She hasn’t made them or anything like that in a very long time because of her own health issues. Hence, the inspiration behind these absolutely decadent and fruit-filled Vegan Apricot Jam Crumble Bars. These Quinoa Fruit & Nut Bars and these Strawberry Oatmeal Bars are on my list now too. I can see myself making this with apricots, peaches, or any fruit that is ripe and sweet. Love the idea of using instant porridge! I will be making this again! No almond extract, use vanilla extract. You could use vanilla extract or even just omit it. I’m so glad that you like the crisp, Rose. I decided to add a few spoonfuls of homemade wild raspberry jam to the apricot puree. My mother-in-law has a to-die for apricot bar recipe…chock full of butter-y dough and sweet, heavenly apricot preserve topping. I'm also the author of three cookbooks dedicated to making cooking from scratch as simple as possible. Run – don’t walk – immediately to the store to grab up all the fresh apricots before they’re out of season, because these bars … Set … This is hands down the most amazing combination of crust and apricot i’ve ever tasted. now i just have to find a surplus of apricots somewhere. Let cool completely, then cut into squares. Kitchen Tip: I use this pan to make this recipe. The fact that these apricots are not the cream of the crop matters not to this apricot bar recipe. I’d say it would be about 2 1/2 cup of puree. I used parchment paper and it stuck to the crumble. Delicious recipe and so easy! I’ll have to find some so I can make this, it looks delish! This might be one of the easiest fruit desserts you’ll ever make! The lid for it is my favorite thing! They might work but we haven’t tried the recipe with them.