BANNOCK BREAD RECIPE. Heat the oil or lard over a medium-high heat until very hot, but not smoking. FRIED BANNOCK recipe by Heidi Lavallee, is from St.Mary's Staff Cookbook, one of the cookbooks created at FamilyCookbookProject.com. Jun 13, 2020 - Explore Vera Vader Park's board "Bannock recipe" on Pinterest. Add the melted and cooled butter and stir just until mixed. The Scottish have oatmeal bannock, the Spanish has sopapilla’s, and the Asians have a fried bread dough too. Knead on a lightly floured surface for about 10 minutes. It is commonly served with stews to absorb the juices. FRIED BANNOCK recipe by Heidi Lavallee, is from St.Mary's Staff Cookbook, one of the cookbooks created at FamilyCookbookProject.com. Recipe for Scottish Bannocks I've seen many different recipes for traditional Scottish bannocks, including several that Theresa Carle-Sanders ' Outlander Kitchen website and cookbook . If the dough is too thick, add more water. Every culture has their own version of fried breads, baked breads, gallettes, scones, flapjacks, oatcakes, and east-end pancakes. Although we have made Bannock a few ways (the kids love making it over a fire), we don’t have the weather yet for outdoor cooking. Have bowl ready to put finished bannock in with paper towel and serve with tea, butter and jam mmmmmm. Fried Bannock Recipe is a traditional dish among aboriginal people in Canada and the United States. Pat into a flat circle 3/4" to 1" thick. 3. https://www.foodnetwork.ca/recipe/bannock-doughnut-holes/19750 Mix the flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl until well combined. Watch sides until brown, flip bannock with long fork and continue watching sides. Makes 5-6 large stick-bannocks. At camp: Pour the powdered bannock mix into a bowl. Drop portions into lard. The sugar makes this an excellent breakfast bread, but feel free to cut the sugar down to a tablespoon or two for a more savory bread. Cook in a greased frying pan over medium heat, allowing about 15 minues for each side. 23 Recipes to Fuel Your Cyber Monday Shopping. 2. Rate this Fried Bannock recipe with 3 cups sifted flour, 1 tsp salt, 2 tbsp baking powder, water, vegetable oil or lard We used the recipe to make a ‘pocket dog’ using homemade venison sausage as the meat. Here is a version of this bannock for at home. Basic Bannock Recipe (Fried or Stick-cooked) 1 cup flour ; 1 tsp baking powder ; 1/4 tsp salt ; 3 tbsp margarine/butter ; 2 tbsp skim milk powder (optional) Sift together the dry ingredients. Recipe by Mackenzie Rasmusen. I've been meaning to record this idea for quite some time now and happy I finally did it! https://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/bannock-indian-fry-bread-10044 Baking & Spices. His bannock recipe includes flour, baking powder, water, a bit of salt, and icing sugar for a touch of sweetness. Mix the flour and baking powder together in a bowl. Pat into a flat circle … It was so awesome! Print this recipe Indian Fry Bread Recipe We used the recipe to make a ‘pocket dog’ using homemade venison sausage as the meat. … copyright=new Date(); Cyber Monday is a great day to wrap up (or maybe begin) holiday shopping. Scottish Bannock bread is cooked in a skillet from a simple dough, making it the perfect recipe for cooking up fresh bread around your summer campfire! Add about a 1/2 cup water and stir so that a dough forms. Firstly, use homemade Buttermilk. I worked for a restaurant for 2.5 years where we made bannock burgers and that is where I fell in love with bannock. update=copyright.getFullYear(); This is the recipe Bannock as I made it: 3.5 C Flour; 5 TBSP Baking powder; 1 C Oil; 1 1/3 C Water; And this is how you make Bannock: 1. Watch sides until brown, flip bannock with long fork and continue watching sides. Try it drizzled with honey and served alongside stew or braised beef. Stir ingredients until it's smooth and soft and sticky.