The blower motor blows air through the return vent, past the heat exchanger, and into the home’s venting. Ask Question Asked 5 years, ... this will starve the blower suction and cause any minor vibration in the blower motor/wheel assembly to amplify. The only way to test and see if it is a blower motor relay would be to test with a voltmeter to see if the motor is getting 110 volts to the motor when it starts going off and on. If power is getting to the blower motor, but the motor does not run, the motor may be burned out. It’s the trigger that circulates conditioned air throughout the home. If you have low house voltage, the blower motor runs slower and does not raise the sail switch so it will not ignite. Nidec. 4.1.3 Ensure that no "hard … Visit Document If the capacitor has failed the symptom is that the motor won't start. A motor can be started manually be spinning the fan or blower wheel. Understanding why an electric motor is having trouble starting or why it won't keep running is an important diagnostic step in keeping an electric motor or air conditioner, heat pump, well pump or other motor working properly. Some higher end models may use a temperature sensor to determine when the blower should come on, but this is a less common setup. The code on the control board is 31, which points to a variety of possible causes (6 or 7). Use caution, but check the blower motor to see if it is hot. It sounds as if it wan't to start but doesn't. Reply to Edward's Post: It's the main blower motor that starts then stops. Reset gas valve. To fix a broken blower motor… If the fan does not start, you have a wiring issue (circuit breaker trips) or motor … First, make sure that power is getting to the motor. Complete Furnace Motor and Blower Assembly. Specifically, start capacitors provide motors with a boost in starting torque. Replaced a draft inducer motor on a ICP-Heil furnace. It is hard to diagnos a bad fan motor over internet but you make it easy. Once we put in a new motor, it runs like a dream, if a little wobbly and rattly. Furnace blower will not turn on. In my case the imbalance was due to a failing motor bearing. Will only run slowly, won't kick on properly. Smith/Century DL1056 1/2 HP, 1075 RPM, 3 Speed, 115 Volts6.5 Amps, 48 Frame, Sleeve Bearing Direct Drive Blower Motor Preparing the Furnace. New batteries for the thermostat. If you see or hear the fan turn on, your blower motor is not the culprit. Nobody seems to want to sell furnace parts. The motor starting is making a louder than usual noise and it is slow to come up to speed. Also, sometimes a blower motor relay on your control board might be going bad and you might need a new control board. New system. ... Definitely sounds like the start capacitor. The wiring in the inducer motor or in the thermostat may at the root of the problem. A capacitor is a device that stores an electrical charge. Be careful to discharge it before touching the terminals on the old one. ), and continues to run fine throughout the cycle. A replacement blower motor is a substantial investment and plays an important role in creating a comfortable and healthy environment in your home. Model #NDGK075DF06. When your furnace isn’t actually heating, though, your furnace blower shouldn’t be running at all. Knowing how to troubleshoot and diagnose problems with … The HC41AE117 Furnace Blower Motor Replacement is a brand new OEM Upgraded 1/3HP, 115V (208/230v also available), 1075RPM, CW Rotation, 4 Speed motor that is compatible with Carrier, Bryant and Payne furnaces, as well as GE and genteq part number 5KCP39GGS336S. Only let it run just long enough to hear the hum. If the blower motor is burned out, replace it. The blower fan helps to circulate hot air throughout the home. The new problem: all of this started because no air was coming out of the vents. When starting your furnace, if the inducer does not kick in, it may be due to a problem with your thermostat that regulates the inducer motor. Blowers in older furnaces generally employ single-speed permanent split capacitor (PSC) motors while many newer furnaces use variable-speed electronically commutated motors (ECMs). One of the most common issues with a furnace blower fan is the inability to start. I would assume when the temperature is above freezing, the furnace doesn’t work as much and the battery gets recharged by the converter before the furnace needs to start. Then it starts again afetr an inconsistant time(2sec.-20sec. Thanks Steve! Most of the time a piece of something (filter, furnace insulation, paper, dirt) has become sucked in the blower wheel (squirrel cage) and causes it to become off balance and wobble. Consider that the purpose of gas furnace is to warm the home, and realize that it is the blower motor that actually takes that heat and directs it from the very isolated, insulated furnace and in to the actual home. An update - we solved the motor problem, but exposed a new problem! A furnace usually uses a run capacitor to maintain a relatively constant voltage supply to the blower motor. Furnace blower won't start....coldest night so far. i was out of town at the time, or i would have done it myself and saved over 100.00. if the price is over 3-400 to fix it, i would look at replacement now. Russ ... Bad fan motor. Question: Rheem furnace with ECM blower, fan set to manual ON -but blower stops at start of call for heat (Dec 17, 2015) magibson53 said: I have a Rheem furnace with ecm blower motor. In normal operation, your furnace blower fan should come on 1.5 to 3 minutes after your thermostat calls for heat and should turn off several minutes after the heating cycle ends. USE CAUTION WHEN DOING THIS AS INJURY CAN RESULT. The blower motor is commonly hard-wired into the home's main electrical supply. Problem: Fan will not come on in the “ON” position or your fan will not come on when you turn the thermostat down in the air conditioning mode.. A furnace blower fan is one of the main components in a hot air furnace or home heater system. The inducer motor starts, the ignitor glows, gas goes out from the the valve, fires up, blower works, then a few mins later, the inducer motor shuts off, the red light blinks 3 times, which means open pressure switch…. Blower motor engages, but draft inducer does not start nor does the ignitor or gas valve. A bad capacitor can cause damage over time to a furnace’s blower motor. If motor is trying to start it is capacitor or motor. Your blower should run constantly until the heating cycle ends. Replace cap. A start capacitor is typically found on an air conditioning unit or heat pump where extra torque is needed to start the compressor. You give great info. furnace blower motor vibration when working hard. Furnace Blower Motor fan hums but wont start. Carrier/Payne/Bryant HC41AE117 OEM Upgraded Furnace Blower Motor Replacement . Russ. The blower motor plays an extremely important role in forced-air systems. A furnace blower motor is one of the most important components in your gas or oil furnace. Start by turning the furnace off, turn your thermostat to “fan only,” and wait a few minutes. Most newer gas furnaces use a computerized control board to activate the blower motor during the heating cycle. jimhokie. Tested inducer motor capacitor with a meter, all good. $113.53. ... but a couple years ago my blower motor cost me around 275.00 to have the HVAC guys replace it. However, it is prone to different kinds of problems. The fan may not turn on because of a bad relay switch on the control board or damage to the transformer. I have set the fan to on during the winter to circulate air ( ceiling heat vents in house) to get a more even heat in the house. I'm having a bizarre issue with my HVAC forced air blower motor. PLEASE NOTE: When troubleshooting, do not let the furnace attempt to run for more than a couple of minutes without the blower motor starting. Coleman 1/6HP 230V 42 Frame 1050 RPM Furnace Blower Motor S1-1468-120P Coleman S1-02436266000 Furnace Blower Fan Motor A.O. These standard direct drive & belt drive furnace motors fit most furnaces. I would recommend turning off the power to the furnace, taking the blower door off and inspecting the blower wheel with a flash light and a mirror. Most furnaces use a preset, adjustable, time delay circuit to control the start of the blower motor. Maybe you have a bad place on the motor rotor or windings that when it lands in that position the motor will not start. As such, you should make sure you get a good blower motor from a reliable air-conditioning contractor that offers high-quality products and installation services. Sort By: Nidec. Furnace blower motor spinning very slow at startup. I had to order over the internet. Use an object such as a wood stick to start the fan or blower wheel. What causes hard-starting compressor motors, fan motors, or other electric motors? In my case the failure happens BEFORE the ignitor gets involved. Just so you know, the pressure switch and ignitor have been replaced in April 2019, and the blower motor start capacitor was replaced last week (a different failure symptom, now solved). Of course, if the control board is not sending 120 volts to the blower motor then you have a control board problem. It's an easy fix but they're hard to find locally. Background: This is a TEMPSTAR Model# NUG5150BKA1 furnace that is ~8 years old. If it is hard to spin, then the motor has failed. Electric motor start-run capacitor instructions: Use of air conditioner compressor motor starting capacitors Use of starting capacitors on electric motors for air conditioning, pumps, etc. ORGAN BLOWERS 3.6.3 Upon start up, the electric supply to the driving motor should be checked to ensure that the phase rotation of the supply is rotating the impeller in effected by fitting an acoustic wind silencer – as large as conditions will allow – immediately at the Blower outlet. Now put your furnace’s blower fan to the test. A hot blower motor, which indicates an overheating problem, will require replacement. If the control board is sending 120 volts to the motor and the motor is not running then you have a motor problem. The draft safeguard switch keeps tripping and needs to reset for the start the furnace. Capacitors are electric devices that get an electric motor running at start-up or that help keep a motor running once it has started. Turns out whoever installed the motor put in a 208-230 volt model in a furnace that runs 115 volts. 1 hp 1075 RPM 3-Speed 115V; 5.6" Blower Motor Nidec # 8906. The furnace control board should start the blower motor within 1 minute after igniting the burners. Buy furnace blower motors online at discount prices. first if motor is bad you would have to replace anyway. This could lead to a blower motor problem down the road. Specifically, it will not start and just buzzes while showing a great deal of startup current (20-22 amps).