The track is mainly used by walkers on the Cape Wrath Trail, so you can park somewhere safe at the bottom of the track and walk up. If you’re looking for places to visit in Scotland off the beaten path, you’re about to discover some of the best hidden gems that no one knows about. The emphasis is very different to most travel guides and avoids the typical 'touristy' places … Visiting the Four Border Abbeys in the Scottish Borders makes for a wonderful day trip from Edinburgh or Glasgow. As a result it suffered a lot of damage. The Hidden Places of Scotland (The Hidden Places Series) [Gerrard, David] on Amazon.com. ... "Steall Waterfall if set in an amazing plateau within Glen Nevis Scotland accessible by foot from a car park in Glen Nevis itself you leave the car park and walk through a ... "Plenty of passing places … *FREE* shipping on qualifying offers. The best time to visit Cairnpapple Hill is during March- October so you can see inside the cairn. Or maybe you want to search for a particular type of tourist … As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. One of the best viewpoints of the loch is via a 4×4 track that leads up the hillside. Located on the north-west coast, Handa Island is a good off-beat excursion if you’re driving the North Coast 500. Places for vintage finds in Scotland… Go to bookshop The map of Scotland Get an overview of the city and see all the hotspots located on the map. The name ‘Little Sparta’ is a facetious play on Edinburgh’s nickname as ‘The Athens of the North’, while the cunning combination of poetry, craftsmanship and philosophical musings reveal themselves throughout the 275 artworks. A trip to Glencoul bothy … Handa Island is a bird sanctuary and one of the best birdwatching sites in Scotland. Dinosaur Footprints On Staffin | © John Allan / Geograph, We and our partners use cookies to better understand your needs, improve performance and provide you with personalised content and advertisements. Coveted by those in the know, our Hidden Gems reveal Edinburgh's very best spots to eat, drink, visit and be merry all day. Only attempt the path if you’re an experienced hiker, as it is rough and slippery, sometimes requiring a scramble. There’s much more to Scotland than the everyday tourist brochures will tell you. It’s a nice place to grab a bite to eat or a dram [if you’re not driving]. Some of these places are very non-obvious. Not all of these places are easy to reach. It is as close as you will find to a temperate rain forest on this side of the … A torrent of powerful tidal burst, the Corryvreckan Whirlpool is the third largest whirlpool in the world. Bonnie Prince Charlie visited the castle twice, and supposedly rested here after his defeat at the Battle of Culloden. Yes, Scotland has a secret subterranean nuclear command bunker. Be sure to read my ultimate guide. I’ve been living in Scotland for two years now and I feel it is my duty to encourage travellers to get off the tourist track that has become Edinburgh to Loch Lomond to the Isle of Skye and back again. Jedburgh Abbey is a spectacular abbey that was often fought over due to its ties to royalty and proximity. Strategically placed in a surreptitious spot to provide a government control centre in the event of a nuclear war, this two-floor bunker was hidden from the public knowledge for over four decades. Nothing good comes easy! >> Planning a trip to Scotland? Scotland’s Secret Bunker, Crown Buildings, Troywood, Fife, St Andrews, Scotland, Scotland’s Secret Bunker | © Fiona Conn / Flickr. There are abundant wild camping opportunities outside too. It only takes 3 hours to walk the circumference of this tiny island, making it a perfect half-day activity if you’re in the area, or a full day trip from Inverness. A magnificent ruin survives despite the abbey being set on fire three times! It’s a truly special feeling being in an area of Scotland so few people see. These lesser known attractions include Edinburgh’s second castle, small museums on the Royal Mile, two National Trust sites, hidden gardens, walking paths, mysterious underground … Kimberley Grant, David Boyson Cooper & Richard Gaston. Corryvreckan Whirlpool, Gulf Of Corryvreckan, Scotland, Corryvreckan Whirlpool | © Walter Baxter / Geograph. To allow us to provide a better and more tailored experience please click "OK", St Peter’s Seminary | © Magnus Hagdorn / Flickr. You’ll also see Loch Maree and the ridges of Beinn Eighe. A scene from the cult-classic Trainspotting was also filmed at Corrour station. You can gaze out to the loch from the parking area at Kylesku bridge, but the best views of the loch are from Glencoul bothy. Basking on the beach at An Corran, Staffin, incredible dinosaur footprints forge a physical bridge to a bygone past, offering a glimpse into a very different Skye. Order now . An open-ended sensory feast made for thinkers and conjurers, the Garden of Cosmic Speculation is suited to those times when your thoughts wage war. Of course, everyone knows about the National Museum of Scotland, which is an absolute must-see on any trip to the Scottish Capital. I sell Personalised Scotland Map Prints in my Etsy store, Shop my Amazon store for my Scotland favourites [click here if you’re from the USA; click here if you’re from the UK]. You can gaze out to the loch from the parking area at Kylesku bridge, but the best views of the loch are from Glencoul bothy. So I’m letting you in on a few of my favourite secret places in Scotland. From the modest parking lot, it is a short walk to reach the hill, which has lovely views of Edinburgh and on a clear day you may even spot the Isle of Arran. I recommend buying these Scotland maps: Northern Scotland, Western Scotland + Southern Scotland.