So yes you can eat the tubers, but don't expect anyone to come back for seconds! here for contact details to report to the relevant I will grow much more this year. The Royal Horticultural Society is the UK’s leading gardening charity. In order to add a note on this plant, please add this plant Candidate for deregulation. IPOMOEA BATATAS - Lime: Excellent yellow-green foliage is ideal in hanging baskets and containers. Latin Name: Ipomoea batatas Sizes Offered: 4.5″ Leaf Color: Purple Height: 6-12″ Spread: 60″ grape ground pearl. While Sweet Potatoes all come from the same parent material out of Southeast Asia, there is a big difference between the Sweet Potato you buy in the store and the tubers produced by the Sweet Caroline and the Illusion plants. Browse pictures and read growth / cultivation information about Ipomoea, Ornamental Sweet Potato, Sweet Potato Vine (Ipomoea batatas) 'Blackie' supplied by member gardeners in … Absent. Ipomoea batatas (Sweet Potato Vine) 'Mini Blackie' is a sport of Blackie that is much more controlled in its growing habit. Details . Please read "Don't risk it" advice here. Ornamental sweet potato 'Blackie', Sweet potato vine 'Blackie', Ornamental sweet potato 'Blacky'. Current status in UK. account. Scientific pest name. The leaves of this plant have five points in the shape of a hand. Suspected outbreak? I had one in a container and one in the garden. exotic pests arriving with imported goods and travellers, as well as by natural means. You'll also receive handy monthly email reminders of what needs doing. Likelihood to spread to UK (1 is very low - 5 is very high) 2. Ipomoea batatas 'Margarita' (Ornamental sweet potato 'Margarita') Common pest name. Ipomoea batatas 'Blackie' Ipomoea batatas 'Bronze' Diascia 'Flying Colours' Senecio cineraria 'Silver Dust' 30cm terracotta pot; Multi-purpose, peat-free compost; Total time: 20 minutes Step 1 Planting up the container. I even had some deer come up 6 steps onto the patio and eat a number of my plants this year, including one pot of the potato vine (which they ate down to the root, leaving only very short stems). "A Real Simple magazine Top 10 goofproof Plant". Ipomoea batatas NC State University and N.C. A&T State University work in tandem, along with federal, state and local governments, to form a strategic partnership called N.C. Date updated: 7th March 2019 For more information visit: All Rights Reserved. Note: We are working to update our ratings. The only surprising thing about the sudden popularity of Sweet Potato Vines is why it took so long to happen. eye-poe-MEE-ah bah-TAY-tas This tender tuberous perennial with heart-shaped, lobed, almost black leaves bears trumpet-shaped lavender to pale purple flowers. Traveling or importing Blackie Ipomoea. IPOMOEA BATATAS - Sidekick: This tri-colour, vigorous-growing vine is ideal in hanging baskets, pots or as an accent plant. Sweet Potatoes (Ipomoea batatas) Posted on February 11, 2015 by Sam Arnold in Allotments , General , Growing Potatoes , In the Veg Patch , Vegetable Growing with 2 Comments Potato season has started with many seed potatoes chitting away in preparation for planting in a few weeks’ time and others ordered and on their way. This ornamental plant provides color and interest like no other plant. USDA Z10 - Cold Hardy to 30 to 40(F) I discovered the "Blackie" sweet potato vine about a year ago when I purchased several, simply because they were so lovely, to decorate my patio when we held a large pool party for my husband's family. Funnel-shaped, pale lilac flowers with dark purple centres are rarely produced. Stunning dark purple, almost black, cascading foliage, Use in hanging baskets, beds, borders and window boxes. This increases the chances of Present at the Royal Botanic Gardens Kew for in excess of 100 years. https://planthealthportal.defra.gov.uk/. , Glasshouse whitefly A vigorous trailing, spreading vine, make it a unique groundcover or perfect in containers, hanging baskets or window boxes. I cannot recommend the sweet potato vine high enough! working with Defra to help members to do their part in preventing the introduction and spread of The one in the garden eventually grew five feet wide. Sweet potato vine (Ipomoea batatas), named for its edible cousin, is an ornamental warm-season annual grown for its attractive leaves and vining habit.The foliage lends a tropical feel to the garden and comes in a range of colors and varying forms. Beds and borders, City, Conservatory, Containers, Cottage/Informal, Foliage only, Greenhouse, Hanging baskets. Find plants you love and create idea boards for all your projects. Ipomoea batatas 'Blackie' (Ornamental sweet potato 'Blackie') will reach a height of 0.6m and a spread We do not currently have companion plants added for this plant. Find locations near you that offer Proven Winners products. The foliage is a very dark purple-black, looking quite striking when set amongst green plants. This vigorous and fast-growing cultivar is a popular variety which is known for its maple-like leaf shape. One bad relation doesn’t have to trash the family, however. Striking purple-black foliage with small light magenta flowers, similar in appearance to bindweed. Unbelievably strong grower. Marketing Information: Bench Card Download a Bench Card. Combine with Celosia ‘Fresh Look” Series and Lysimachia nummularia 'Goldilocks or your choice of Proven Selctions eye popping Coleus and Lysimachia nummularia 'Goldilocks . Depending on variety chosen, leaf colors range from lime green to deep black-purple shades and they may be heart or palm shaped. Though commonly used as ornamental foliage, Ipomoea may produce morning glory-like blooms in late summer-early fall. other material traded from an increasing variety of sources. , Sweet potato weevil. , Sweet potato weevil Botanical Name: Ipomoea batatas 'Blackie' Form: Annual Sun Exposure: Full Sun, Partial Shade, Full Shade Height/Habit: 8 - 12 inches Spread: 5 feet Hardiness Zone: 10 Planting Instructions: Incorporate organic matter into the soil to give plants a good environment to perform in. authority. We aim to enrich everyone’s life through plants, and make the UK a greener and more beautiful place. This variant grows vigorously and is … Find out where you fall in the USDA Hardiness Zones database. Fast grower. Regulated pest; frequently intercepted with occasional outbreaks which have been successfully eradicated in the UK. It is excellent in containers or weaving among other plants in beds and borders. My sister-in-law has two green thumbs and her yard & patio are always beautiful. Sweet Potato Vine is phenomenal in the full-part sun landscape or as a "spiller" in your favorite basket or large container.