ROLL out flat with Lefse rolling pin using flour as needed (so it won’t stick) turning often with lefse turner until thin. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. Preheat Lefse or electric griddle to 410 degrees F. Slice off ... container in cool place. How many calories are in 1 serving? Use lefse turner to lift from pastry board to griddle. On a lightly floured surface, roll into a circle about 1/8 inch thick. Then she used a special rolling pin with ridges to get the lefse as thin as possible. 3 cups flour. Just before baking, add the flour to the potato mixture and mix well. Fold and place on a serving tray once cool. I’ve made just about every mistake — ahem, learned every trick in the book along the way since then. Since I was little, lefse has always been a part of my family. :), I made this twice for Passover as an unleavened bread. Repeat with the remaining dough; you'll cook 12 lefse in all. Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe. The weight of a large rolling pin is nearly enough. Cook potatoes, drain and mash. Dec 21, 2018 - Explore Karen Usher's board "Potato lefse recipe" on Pinterest. 15 mins. Flour a pastry cloth or board and rolling pin. Originally, it is made it out of potatoes that have been boiled and mashed; this recipe using instant mashed Thank you. Oct 25, 2019 - Lefse (sounds like "left sa" ) is a Norwegian flat bread made from potatoes. Follow this guide and I will be trying this recipe as my son misses my mom’s (hardbread) lefse. Allow the skillet to heat up for about 5 minutes before using. Do not use any spray, grease or butter in your skillet - this is a "dry" cooking technique. Pull from fridge and bring to room temperature. Beloved by Norwegians everywhere, this traditional flatbread is a mainstay similar to a thick crêpe (or thin pancake). Shop with confidence. The first time the dough sat wrapped in logs in the fridge for 2 days (5 yr old got a bee sting) and still was perfect. Bake according to your pie recipe’s instructions. Cut lard or Crisco into the dry ingredients. 376 calories (376 kcal) are in 1 serving - it is the same (calorie-wise) to 3.16 tbsp olive oil, 3.13 tbsp organic extra virgin olive oil, and 0.23 cups of butter-vegetable oil blend. Preheat lefse or griddle pan to 475-500 degrees. sugar 2 tbsp. We did it as a test to an old recipe we had been using. How to Make Flour Lefse. Serve any number of ways. Beginner lefse makers might want to make only a third of the portion the first time through! 2 tsp salt. 1/2 cup sugar. Copyright © Add cold water until the cup is full. People eat it with butter and sugar, butter, jams and jellies,and peanut butter. In fact, the original lefse made in Norway was actually made from flour – not potatoes. Ricing the potatoes, rather than mashing them, will produce the best results. Start with 10 to 11 ounces potato to yield about 1 1/2 cups cooked riced potato. 20 to 25 mins. Some lefse is made with potatoes but true Norwegians (LOL) know the better version is made with flour. Then gradually add the cold water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Aug 1, 2020 - Find great deals on eBay for homemade ball. And it's difficult to specify exactly how much flour to add, given the variance in what type of potatoes you use, how you prepare them, and how you measure. Our family eats this every holiday and sometimes for birthdays. I have been making this recipe for about 35 years. Mix in Crisco, sugar, and salt while potatoes are hot so Crisco will melt. 5 lb potatoes. Stack pieces on top of each other as they are baked. Add flour and form into small balls, roll very thin and bake on hot lefse grill.Makes 14 lefse. Heat an electric griddle to 375 degree F (190 degrees C). Rate this Sandy's Lefse recipe with 6 cups riced potatoes (add salt to water when ricing them), 4 tbsp sweet cream, 1 tsp baking powder, 2 tsp salt, 2 tsp sugar, 1 cup flour, 2 tbsp butter Serve lefse warm or at room temperature, spread with butter and rolled into a cylinder or folded into quarters; add sugar or cinnamon-sugar for a sweet treat. Place a skillet over a medium heat. Nutritional Value and Information. But if your only option is mashed, use 1 cup. Bake on the griddle until each round feels dry but not crisp. Grandma is still living, but no longer able to make lefse. Most people won't think twice about serving basic cornbread when is on the table. At 1 minute and 30 seconds, use the lefse turning stick to flip the lefse over and cook until the timer reaches a total of 3 minutes. 2020 Get full Sandy's Lefse Recipe ingredients, how-to directions, calories and nutrition review. Info. Directions Step 1 PREPARE Single-Crust Classic Crisco Pie Crust dough according recipe. Lefsa recipe by Ardis Searles, is from 100 Years of Recipes from the Decendants of Bernt & Maria Overgaard, one of the cookbooks created at FamilyCookbookProject.com. Flute edges, as desired. Preheat a lefse griddle or cast iron griddle to 425 F. Use a pastry blender to cut the flour into the chilled potatoes. Cook on one side until speckled with brown spots; flip over, and cook the other side the same way. The results were perfection. What Happens If It Sticks? Place the rolled dough on the griddle. Thin And Tender Flour Tortillas Recipe Serious Eats How to make norwegian lefse from scratch food storage moms grandma s lefse recipe a scandinavian holiday tradition lefse food scandinavian Let dough rest 10 minutes. Trim edges of dough leaving a 3/4" (2 cm) overhang. This is very good. Good simple lefse recipe. COOL then add flour, divide into 4 parts, keep remainder cold while working with each part. Makes 8 single crusts. Looked and tasted just like i remember Grandma's. Add sugar and beat until fluffy. Then, mash cooked potatoes while still hot, and add lard, butter, salt, … Starting with this one ball of dough, roll it on a well-floured surface to about 6" in diameter; it will be quite thin. It worked amazingly. Three types have evolved from different geographic regions and different uses for the bread. Step 2 HEAT oven to 425 F. Step 3 Here’s my Grandma’s Gluten-Filled (High FAT) Lefse recipe: 1 quart Mashed Potatoes (no lumps) ¼ C. Crisco ¼ C. Whipping Cream 1 ½ C. Flour My brother and I wanted to make it for Thanksgiving this year for our families. Lefse is a customary Norwegian flat bread. Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. I’ve rolled out hundreds of pounds of potatoes perfecting this Norwegian lefse recipe over the last 20 years. I used butter instead of shortening which seemed to work fine. Transfer dough carefully onto filled pie. Likewise, oil would work, I just decided on butter, because you can’t go wrong with melted butter. Our family eats this every holiday and sometimes for birthdays. Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a large wooden bowl. Download a FREE copy of our Making Lefse in 8 Easy Steps below. Lightly flour a surface and roll the small dough ball into a thin circular (or mostly circular) shape. Roll next lefse … Make into small patties, roll thin, bake on hot grill. The one issue I foresaw for this year's lefse-making was the milk and the Crisco in our lefse recipe. Combine the potatoes, 4 teaspoons flour, butter, cream or milk, salt, and sugar, mixing gently just until well combined. Soft and tender, with just a little bit of "chew," you can have these on the table in under an hour. 221 calories; protein 4.8g 10% DV; carbohydrates 31.8g 10% DV; fat 8.2g 13% DV; cholesterol 4.6mg 2% DV; sodium 172mg 7% DV. Lefse Recipe with Instant Potatoes Ingredients: 9 c. instant potato buds 2 tbsp. Divide logs into 8 pieces. Add Crisco, salt, baking powder, sugar and cream. Turn frequently. Back then we made it from bleached white flour (“I don’t want dirty lefse!”), Crisco, and copious amounts of pale butter and white sugar. The dough can also be made the day before and allowed to rest in the fridge overnight. Below, in the recipe, I have, whenever possible, tried to describe and/or show all of these special tools. With lefse stick (stick#1) slowly take lefse from cloth and place on the griddle. Put cooked lefse between two towels. I also want to note that i was surprised how easy it was to mix the flour in with the pastry cutter. Preheat the lefse griddle to 350 degrees. Mix potatoes, butter, sugar, salt ... overnight. Reduce heat, if necessary to prevent overbrowning. While in Norway lefse was traditionally made from any of a variety of flours, when brought to America it became strictly potato-based — because potatoes are what most Norwegian immigrants were able to grow quickly and successfully here. Roll out smaller dough disk. Dec 27, 2016 - Explore Robert Sage's board "lefse recipe" on Pinterest. See more ideas about Potato lefse recipe, Norwegian food, Recipes. Family cookbooks are an important way to preserve our mealtime traditions for future generations with individual printed recipes or … Roll it into a thick log and then divide it into 16 equal portions for small 6-8" lefse or 8 equal portions for large 10-12" lefse. Powered by the ESHA Research Database © 2018, ESHA Research, Inc. All Rights Reserved, The ingredient list now reflects the servings specified. 1 cup butter flavored Crisco. Nov 17, 2018 - Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube. Yield. Search for: About Us; Financial Products; Member Benefits; Foundation; Search for: Add the cream, the melted Crisco, the salt, and sugar, and mix well. The steam will create a more tender product. If you are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for personal consumption. It was always a staple on our Christmas day breakfast buffet. Jellies make an excellent topping as do thinly sliced fried sandwich meat. Chill thoroughly in the refrigerator. Place in the refrigerator until thoroughly chilled. King Arthur Baking Company, Inc. All rights reserved. I used Betty crocker homestyle instant Mashed potatoes, Becel margarine, and canned coconut milk. Roll each portion of dough between your palms to form a small ball. ¾ cup Crisco vegetable shortening, well-chilled 4 to 8 tablespoons ice cold water Stir flour and salt in large bowl until blended. Stir together. Lefse is a traditional Norwegian flat bread made of potatoes and flour. Pie Crust with Lard or Crisco 1 lb. Pinch off pieces of dough the size of a biscuit and form into balls. Divide dough into 3 equal size portions. Place on a damp towel to cool slightly and then cover with damp towel until ready to serve. A favorite is with butter or margarine and sugar. Lefse is a traditional, soft Norwegian flatbread. I usually cool overnight in the fridge and place some saran wrap directly on potatoes to avoid a 'skin'. It is eaten with butter This is very good. No longer a daily bread for most, lefse is a must during the holidays. When eating Lutefisk, it’s typical to eat it together with Lefse, and put the lutefisk inside the rolls. It is simple easy and best of all tasty. I cheat and make lefse using instant potatoes. The second batch, I did the potatoes mixture, left it over night in the fridge, added the flour by hand the next evening, pieced them out, rolled and cooked. Once cooled, lefse freezes well. Serve at room temperature, spread with butter and dark brown or cinnamon sugar. Cut in cold butter until mixture is crumbly. And it’s no wonder it tasted so great as a kid – potatoes, Crisco, and cream! Makes 50 lefse. Lefse recipe by Sharon Tucker, is from Our family favorites, one of the cookbooks created at FamilyCookbookProject.com. A sprinkle of sugar or cinnamon-sugar makes it a light, sweet snack any time of the day. Cook the lefse about 2 minutes or until very lightly browned, turning about halfway through cooking (top surface will be bubbly). salt 1 c. (2 sticks) butter or margarine 1 c. Half & Half 6 c. water 4 1/2 … 7. No one believes that it is made with instant potatoes. baking powder 1 tsp. May 23, 2016 - Norwegian Potato Lefsa With Baking Potatoes, Heavy Whipping Cream, Butter, Salt, White Sugar, All-purpose Flour Thanks for the recipe. The dough should be a little sticky, but not too much. Facebook Instagram Pinterest Twitter YouTube LinkedIn. Bake the lefse dough on a preheated 500 griddle for approximately one minute per side until you get some small to medium size brown spots. Store lefse flat, wrapped in plastic, for several days at room temperature; freeze for longer storage. Use care to press lightly with rolling pin when forming into rounds as they are much more tender than pie dough. vinegar 1 egg Beat egg in a one cup measuing cup, add vinegar. Roll out on floured board. It is great for making frosting fluffy, making it a top choice for many bakery frostings. Once all the balls of lefse dough have been cooked, cover the stack with a kitchen towel while they cool. Add ... thin and bake on lefse grill that has been preheated to 500 degrees. Making Lefse is is really easy. Dec 21, 2018 - Explore Karen Usher's board "Potato lefse recipe" on Pinterest.