A most unique form bearing heavily curled green leaves provides an interesting texture. Acer Palmatum Shishi-gashira - Japanese Maple. This very special cultivar has a unique foliage by its relief and form. If he did sell it it would probably go for around $650.00 +/-. ‘Yama Kagi’ Fernleaf Acer japonicum ‘Yama Kagi’ Fern leaf Japanese maple… Acer palmatum 'Shishigashira', Japanese Maple Tree, H:50cm excluding the pot.. A very slow growing cultivar with upright habit and gorgeous green foliage in spring and summer. Popular for bonsai and as a container subject. In today's video, we get to discover the many wonderful traits of the Shishigashira (AKA Lion's Head) Japanese Maple! Bright green very crinkled foliage is denseley packed on the short branches! The compact stubby growth makes this ideal for Bonsai containers and small landscapes. Free Shipping On All Orders Over $99. Lions Mane Japanese Maple, Acer palmatum 'Shishigashira'. With bonsai repotting is all about keeping the tree healthy long term. Reply. Maple is my favourite species for making bonsai because they continuously change colour throughout the year. A Lion’s Head Japanese maple is similar in form to other Japanese maple trees but has curled, green foliage that fits tightly against the branches and resembles the hair of a lion’s mane. In this tutorial you will learn how to re-pot a Japanese Maple Bonsai, scientific name Acer palmatum. Acer palmatum - Shishi gashira Dwarf Japanese Maple Tree Lions Head - After 125 years in cultivation, the famous Lion's Head Maple (shi shi GA shi ra) is still acknowledged as one of the best and most unique Japanese maple cultivars. Japanese Maple can be large shrub or small tree and tends to leaf out early, so it may be injured by spring frosts. Susan, ... Casey, I have seen this Lion’s Head Japanese Maple in garden centers around here priced at $350 to … Acer palmatum Sango Kaku The Coral Bark maple has beautiful red winter twigs which are the attraction with this fine Japanese maple. This very special cultivar has a unique foliage by its relief and form. It is shown above in … The deeply lobed leaves grow in tufts along the branches giving a the tree a very distinc appearance, so called 'Lion Head'. I'm not sure if my boss wants to sell it since it was in his display garden for many years. This tree’s compact growth habit and closely set foliage make it a favorite subject for bonsai enthusiasts, who form it into ancient-looking, umbrella-shaped trees. Unusual dark green foliage with masses of small lobed leaves changing to a vivid orange in Autumn. Japanese Maples are the most desirable garden trees that exist.A tree in fall is guaranteed to turn heads and gather admiring looks and the enormous variety of leaf forms, colors and tree shapes means that no matter what your taste or space restrictions, there will be a tree for you. 'Shishigashira' is also unique in that it can grow up to 15 feet tall yet it is one of the best bonsai trees in the world. Your Lion's Head Maple (Acer palnmatum 'Shishigashira') is not an indoor tree. Mike says. Acer palmatum dissectum 'Lionheart' is the Japanese maple for you. It grows in semi-shade, cold climates and warm and is a very slow grower suitable for bonsai. Click on the pictures to see the crinkly leaves in detail. It is an upright green leafed tree that grows quite large and has variable but great fall color. Seasonal leaf colours include: light green, deep green, yellow, and orange and reds. This isn't a great picture, but this Lion's Head or Lion's Mane is in our nursery. You can buy Acer palmatum dissectum 'Lionheart' Japanese maple online mail-order. The popular "lion’s head maple" is a striking cultivar that is a slow upright grower with dense tufts of crinkled deep green foliage on each branch, looking somewhat like the mane of a lion. In early spring, the leaves are one colour, in summer they’re another and in the autumn they have stunning, vivid red hues. Best performance is in sun-dappled part shade, but best fall color is usually in full sun. This Japanese Acer known as the lions head maple or lions head in a pot-has a bushy habit and grows upright. Immediate Delivery. Like the Lion's Head Japanese Maple which is similar though much larger, Ojishi has yellow and orange fall color. Another view of the Japanese Lion's Head Maple in the backyard. These are trees that we grow for creating bonsai or Japanese garden trees. Trees And Shrubs Flowering Trees Trees To Plant Landscaping Around Trees Landscaping Plants Maple Tree Tattoos Tattoo Tree Bonsai Red Maple Tree. when established looks really architectural. Noteworthy Characteristics. This unique cultivar always attracts attention. Additional Information About ShiShigashira / Lions Head Japanese Maple. Lion’s Head Japanese Maple. It's a Japanese Maple hardy to zone 6a and wants to go dormant in fall, which is why it looses it's leaves. -Ryokan Taigu (1758-1831) Our Lion's Head Maple is by the mail box near the back gate. Shishigashira"Lions Head' Japanese Maple - 1 Year Graft Brand: Herter Nursery. I have others lace leaf and blood leaf Japanese but this is just unique. Japanese Green Leaf Maple Acer palmatum . Lion heart is a beautiful large red laceleaf Japanese maple. February 28, 2016 at 5:35 pm. Lion's Head Maple "In evening twilight I ascend Mount Kugami. Requires partial shade with well drained soil. Pics show more mature trees not the ones for sale. Japanese Maple Trees. Lions Head is a slow upright grower with dense tufts of crinkled deep green leaves on each branch, resembling the mane of a lion. Often this is the form of Japanese maple found in old gardens and arboretums. In Japanese, Shishigashira means “lion head” since it recalls a lion’s mane with his organge fire foliage in the fall. The growth characteristics is why it is a popular tree for bonsai even though allowed to grow naturally it can get to 15 feet at maturity. The tufts are in thick bunches that resemble a lions head, hence the name. It's 3-4' tall and 3' wide. I am surprised it's still alive. I've had this Japanese maple in my garden about 6-7 yrs. Lion’s Head Japanese maple grows well in moist, organically rich, well-drained soils in full sun to part shade. Japanese Maple Tree. 1 gal size @ $30.00 ; 2.5-3 gal size @ $45.00 - $75.00 Click here for more picture of the Lion's Head Maple. The Japanese Maple Tree is a favorite! Specially appealing in small gardens where odd foliage can be appreciated at close range. I have the following left: Lots of 2.5 gal starters approx 2’ $49 (1) 5gal 3-4’ 79 (1) 10gal 4-5’ $119 These are very special trees that do quite well in our area. It seems to do well with a lot of shade. There are very few diseases that affect this Maple. Reaches roughly 15' X 15' in size. A must for the collector. Small crinkly green leaves are closely spaced along irregular branches. Lion’s Head Japanese Maple: Japanese Maple Shishigashira, commonly called the lion’s head maple, is very popular and highly sought after cultivar. The Shishigashira above is still thriving under the shade of taller trees, surrounded by a ground cover that keeps its roots moist. The leaves are resistant to burning in full sun & develop a good golden yellow fall color brushed with red-orange. Arrive Alive Guarantee. A purchase of a Lionheart Japanese maple is a true investment in your yard! Acer palmatum, commonly called Japanese maple, is a deciduous shrub or small tree that typically grows to 10-25' (infrequently to 40') tall.It is native to Japan, Korea and China. Buy Shishigashira Japanese Maple Online. It is best to avoid hot and dry sites. ... STOUT SHOOTS. 8) Shishigashira Japanese Maple, Acer palmatum Shishigashira. THE FOLIAGE IS DEEP GREEN IN THE SUMMER, AND A STRIKING COMBINATION OF GOLD WITH ROSE AND … It has been in cultivation and published in Japanese literature books since the 1880's. Name translates to male lion. Buy this Lionheart Japanese maple tree online with confidence at our online Japanese maple store. The Coral bark maple is also known as Acer palmatum Sango Kaku, the Lovely green leaves turn golden yellow in fall. In Japanese, Shishigashira means “lion head” since it recalls a lion’s mane with his organge fire foliage in the fall. When I first saw it I didn’t know it was a Japanese maple. October 15, 2017 at 6:48 pm. Many varieties, such as Bloodgood and Crimson Queen, have exotic foliage that adds fiery bursts of color to the landscape all year long, and they only grow more beautiful year after year! Shishigashira - Lion's head Maple Another interesting cultivar/variety; this slow growing tree has tight pads of deep green crinkled leaves, which turn in on themselves at the edges. Voices of bellowing deer Are muted by carpets of Maple leaves that have Fallen quietly." The average size of a mature Japanese Maple … Hi Chris-The Shishigashira Japanese Maple (Acer palmatum 'Shishigashira') is a cultivar that can attract attention because of its unique stem structure. 3.6 out of 5 stars 9 ratings. Growing to about 6'-8', this makes a good bonsai subject. Mike says. Used (normal wear), Also called lion head or mane. COMPACT GROWTH MAKES IT POPULAR FOR SMALL GARDENS, CONTAINERS, AND BONSAI. I just purchased my first Lions head Japanese maple and I love it. Acer Palmatum 'Shishigashira' is a slow growing tree and perennial plant that can be grown in USDA Plant Hardiness Zones 5A through 9B. Our Japanese Maple is a seed grown variety. 'Shishigashira' has dark green leaves through out the growing season--I like the texture of the foliage. Reply. It’s about 5ft tall and beautiful I paid $280.00 for it and well worth it! Highly sculptural, ‘Lion’s Head’ Shishigashira’ is a favorite for bonsai, as a container and plant pots or small gardens. Japanese Maple Trees, Japanese Maple Bonsai Trees, acer palmatum seeds, lion head drawer pulls, Japanese Maple Orange Trees, Maple Body Electric Guitars, gold lion head pendant, Quilted Maple, Detroit Lions, japanese maple tree seeds It's probably not hardy in NovI, but should do fine in an unheated attached garage. Very distinct and attractive. Typically shishigashira are slow growing and pretty spendy. THE REAL NAME OF THIS MAPLE IS SHISHIGASHIRA. Avoid a site that is exposed to strong winter winds. Very seldom have I seen this tree perfectly shaped. It is a compact, slow-growing shrub, usually to around 2m, though taller trees are possible with good cultivation. That is how we manage to grow these trees for many years in very small pots and in very small amount of soil. The name 'Shishigashira' means "Lion's Head" or "Lion's … The entire crown of the tree, where the leaves are located, is considered the lion’s mane. Acer palmatum 'Okushimo' Okushimo Japanese Maple. Amazing fall colors of red and yellow if given plenty of sun. It is slow growing and has stayed compact (about 6-8 ' tall). General plant form is rounded to broad-rounded, often with low branching. 8) Shishigashira Japanese Maple, Acer palmatum Shishigashira. In the landscape, Lion’s Head Japanese Maple forms more of an ice cream cone shape, with a low-branched, vase-shaped trunk and a rounded top. This this compact, shrubby tree becomes purple-red with orange-red patterns for a spectacular fall show. Sango kaku will … Lions Head Japanese Maple - Acer palmatum 'Shishigashira' - 5 Gallon Pot An upright form featuring unique, crinkled, bright green leaves in tufts along the stems. This is the seed grown, species of the Japanese maple.