Thanks. As Off-The-Mark noted your English language skills are just fine, good enough to allow you to type into an Internet search engine search box ‘8 bit vs 10 bit’ and read about that subject until the cows come home. Only you can decide which is "right" for you, but it sounds to me you have looked at the differences and you prefer 50p, so if I were you, I wouldn't be concerned that other people prefer 25p. After all, if you shoot in 50fps, you'll need twice as much light to get the same exposure and colour/image quality for your videos. Hi, I have a GH5 with which I only take videos in UHD and I would like to know, hoping that you will not make fun of me. This problem has been improved. Review: The DJI Pocket 2 is a vlogging machine you can take anywhere (even in your pocket), Canon EOS Rebel T8i (EOS 850D / EOS Kiss X10i), Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-100mm F4.0 IS Pro, Dario's desk (because I don't have one) by adriparro. Above all I make only documentaries in UHD where there are sunny days like in Africa and South America. The quality of the colours is another matter entirely. The [Adjust.] It doesn't quite work the other way around. As for the choice of a frame rate, it's just one detail in the whole process of producing a good quality documentary video, so don't get fixated on it. Reset OFF, Constant Preview ON, Peaking ON, HIGH, Display Color, Histogram ON. I hope you understand my bad english and you tell me your suggestions. The professional documentaries you see in TV are being shot in 25fps. The inconsistency is due to the fact that the test pattern is only defined for video levels, because that's how the test pattern is … To check brightness, luminance or chroma colour balance. Hi, I have a GH5 with which I only take videos in UHD and I would like to know, hoping that you will not make fun of me. Other important settings in the Panasonic GH5. In other words: would it be better to focus on 50p or 10bit? 4. They're just colour presets. If I ask 100 guys the question about 25p and 50p, it seems everybody answers to shoot at 25p. Once out there in the field, you'll have other more pressing concerns, anyway. IF there is a lot of action (animals moving quickly, people dancing quickly) then 50p 8-bit. The luminance level of photos ... GH5 Firmware Version 2.6 / GH5S Firmware Version 1.4 / G9 Firmware Version 2.0. Does the doc look like crap, I don't think so. You should realise that changing the aspect ratio to anything else than this will actually crop the sensor, meaning that you’ll lose pixels. in my same conditions do you prefer to shoot at 50p 8 bit or 25p 10bit? I'm the travel organizer, the director and the filmmaker. Luminance level for video with gh5. If I ask 100 guys the question about 25p and 50p, it seems everybody answers to shoot at 25p. It’s totally over to you. Only me and you prefer 50p. I stand corrected, thanks for putting that right! 709 Like Gamma (ITU-R BT.709) & Knee Control. Find out if it'll make your life easier in our detailed review. Panasonic is proud to introduce the new LUMIX GH5 - the latest flagship model of LUMIX G Digital Single Lens Mirrorless cameras based on the Micro Four Thirds system standard. IF there is NOT lot of action (animals walking slowly, people sitting and talking or standing still or walking slowly), then 25p 10-bit. Which is actually easier to accomplish in 25fps. S1 ・ Previously, some users experienced a blue clipping effect in V-Log recording. Expanded compatibility with Profoto wireless transmitters (All) I shan't comment on the bit rate but only on the frame rate. What’s the best camera for around $2000? What's the best camera for travel? Strength points shooting 25p: 1) the video has a good cinema appearance. Due to the technical limitations of your GH5, as you have observed, 10-bit recording is not offered on your GH5 when shooting at 50p (at least not internally, have you looked into whether you can record in 10-bit with an external HDMI recorder)? 02 - YouTube These values only apply to Rec709 (HLG and V-LOG L are always 0-255), in that case I would suggest 16-235 which is industry standard video levels. If you're looking for a high-quality camera, you don't need to spend a ton of cash, nor do you need to buy the latest and greatest new product on the market. Master Pedestal, Highlight and Shadow and Luminance Levels are critical settings that, depending on what you're doing, need to be adjusted or left alone. Rather than waiting to get your pre-existing beliefs being confirmed by the crowd, (which is the typical modus operandi online), keep an open mind, take notes from those who are doing what you aspire to do, and implement the things you learn. In fact my camera has 25p 10bit. You might consider shooting a typical scene first in 50p and then without changing anything shoot the same scene at 24p and then view the clips and choose that which pleases you most. Therefore which option do I have to choose for 25p 10bit? We're glad you asked. Yes, the rewrap approach is probably the best way to go (I don't have the camera yet) The information above, and the little discovery by Justin is of particular interest to me as I am working on If you ever want to share your videos with the world, following the common practises used in the industry won't hurt. 'They can also be used to deliver a quick preset for a certain colour curve like REC709 when you're shooting with a 'flat' colour curve, but they don't make or break the quality of your footage. If you want to shoot documentaries, I'd recommend going for 25p and use 50p for the few clips you want to appear in slow motion in the final video. Broadcast flexibility for post -production. Premiere isn't wrong. You get three options (10-bit values in brackets): 0-255 (0-1023) 16-235 (64-940) 16-255 (64-1023) Here’s the simple answer: Pick 0-255 (0-1023) and never look back. A time stamp in motion pictures used for editing and camera sync. Sorry but in the GH5 there isn't a default setting. It's kind of like asking people what the best food is, or what the best music is. All content, design, and layout are Copyright © 1998 - 2020 Digital Photography Review All Rights Reserved. 5. in UHD 50p 8bit I see on the GH5 menu [0-255] / … etc.) ... Rolling shutter distortion, compared to the LUMIX GH5, is suppressed by approximately 1.3x with high readout speeds when recording video or using an electronic shutter. Good preparation does a lot to the quality of your videos. Same goes for the polarizing 24p nonsense. Your shooting in 50p only means you'll be shooting in 50fps, which may suit certain kinds of genres like, say, live sports events, or whenever you want to have a particular short clip in your documentary to appear in slow motion. There are a lot of photo/video cameras that have found a role as B-cameras on professional productions or A-camera for amateur and independent productions. It depends. ・The luminance level of photos (including 6K/4K Photo and Post Focus images) can be preset when played back over HDMI output. I thank you for your suggestions. I'd save the higher frame rates for possible slow motion highlight clips only. Sony F3/F5/F55 (& temp FS7/FS5) Screen Grabs/Footage, General Discussion & Previous DVXuser Fests, Hallows Fest - Individual Film Discussion, If this is your first visit, be sure to 1. Well, just for the heck of it, consider for a moment the notion that there might be a good reason for why people do what they do, even though it might feel 'incredible' to you.But whatever you do, don't leave details like that for the online crowd to vote on. Good on you. Again, just to reiterate; while today's consumer mirrorless cameras are truly awesome, they still do have compromises that we have to deal with. When you've figured out the big picture, details like frame rate will get sorted automatically along the way. It's decoding the levels according to the full range flag set in the H.264 stream, which depends on the luminance level setting in the camera. In this case it doesn't really matter. 7. S1 ・Previously, some users experienced a blue clipping effect in V-Log recording. In as much as you are not only the director but also the customer you can select the frame rate that pleases you, In my opinion 50p is absolutely not a bad choice whatsoever and in fact 50p or 60p is arguably your best choice. 6. What you are telling is right but my dubt is different. Panasonic LUMIX GH5 Mirrorless Camera Body $1,999.99BUY NOWAquatica AGH5 Housing $1,799.00BUY NOWIkelite GH5 Housing $1,695.00BUY NOWIsotta GH5 Housing $2,600.00BUY NOWNauticam NA-GH5 Housing $2,650.00BUY NOWSubal GH5 Housing $3,499.00BUY NOW + Related PostsOlympus E-PL10 Underwater Camera & Housing Review Striking a balance between value, … This problem has been improved. As of this time, the only "consumer" camera I know of that records 4K 10-bit 50p internally is the Fuji X-T3. Could you tell me why UHD 50p 10bit is a a bad choise? 2) There is the possibility to modify the color of the clips more easily in post-production. This problem has been improved. It’s good to have a choice, but sooner or later you’re going to have to make a decision, and when that time comes it won’t be the GH5 it will be the G9 for stills and GH5S for video. Depending on the circumstances.As long as documentaries are concerned, shooting the entire documentary in 50fps would accomplish no quality gain, perhaps even the opposite. Time Code. V-LogL & LUT Display Function* Therefore I reformulate the question: in my same conditions do you prefer to shoot at 50p 8 bit or 25p 10bit? My $.02. Changing the aspect ratio can be used as a way to boost your creativity, for instance, landscapes often look great with a 16:9 ratio, or for sharing on Instagram, a 1:1 crop might suit you better. There are, or course, compromises. I don’t really believe you need to be told to take what you read during your socializing visits with a grain of salt. Meaning, shooting at 25p with a 1/100th shutter speed is probably not going to look a whole lot different than shooting at 50p with a 1/100th shutter speed (but try it out because I can't confirm either way). Unless you're shooting a b-roll clip in slo-mo, for example. I like to understand better and all your replies are important for me. Out of curiosity: do you like to use 25p 10bit or 50p 8bit for documentaries?My choice would be 50p 10bit but I can't choose it. AE can be locked with the [AF/AE LOCK] button when ISO Auto is set in M mode. GH5 Masterclass - Luminance Level verstehen - Ep. I thank you for all your suggestions. Alternatively, I would suggest investing in a good ND filter (or two) especially if you are going to a bright area. You don't.It would be advisable to leave the shutter speed dial alone. The Panasonic GH5 (Amazon, B&H) has a multitude of features.It is a ground-breaking camera in every way because it’s the first time you have professional-level video features available in … Trust that there's a reason why those people do what they do in a certain way. That's something you normally don't have to worry about. Study those who are doing the thing you want to do, and focus on the bigger picture first, not just some single detail like frame rate. Panasonic crammed as many great features as they could into the GH5 while keeping it under US $2,000 price point. Vaporware no more: the much-speculated-about Zeiss ZX1 has arrived. My understanding is that professional documentary directors almost invariably ask the customer, be it National Geographic or whoever what frame rate they want. I don't make videos for youtube. The GH5, while only providing 50p in 8-bit internally, does provide 4:2:2 chroma sub-sampling, while the X-T3 only has 4:2:0 chroma subsampling when shooting 10-bit 50p 4K footage internally. The are for me only and I watch them on my 65" TV or I make projections on a 2 meters screen. ・ Ability to lock (with the [AF/AE LOCK] button) when ISO Auto is set in M mode. >You are the customer so do that which pleases you based on simple experimentation, >is my suggestion. Doesn't matter. Undoubtedly there are some flea pluckers who deliberately raise contention points with the not-so-hidden agenda of getting a flea plucker quarrel going loud and strong so they can, presumably, sit back and watch the action. i know that I have shot 24p here in the states at 1/100th and 1/200th shutter speed and it didn't seem to cause any issues. Just bring a set of quality ND filters, backup cards, batteries, a travel tripod/monopod and a good bag and enjoy your adventure on the continent.Mazola Mazola! Luminance Level 64-1023 / 64-940 / 0-1023 (10bit) For choice of video luma levels. Why do I have to shoot in 25p 10bit? check out the. In this case, for no good reason. No problem. The limited range like 16-235 is intended as 'safe range' for traditional broadcast TV standard and TV screens. Improved operational stability ・ Operational stability when using an XQD memory card has been improved. it seems everybody answers to shoot at 25p. In this buying guide we’ve rounded up all the current interchangeable lens cameras costing around $2000 and recommended the best. Clamp the levels in post if needed. In other words: would it be better to focus on 50p or 10bit? Consider social media and online forums as public watering holes where the gearhead mammals gather together to pluck flees from each others' fur, not as places of education.Sure, you may get some great advice over the watering hole, too, but if you're 'asking 100 guys' without doing some research of your own and focusing on the relevant, you're mostly wasting your time and getting more confused. LUTs are a means to stylise and colour grade your edited footage. Sharpness -5 -5 -5 -3 for non-GH5 Micro 4/3 cameras Noise Reduction -5 -5 -5 Saturation [NA] -5 -5 Hue [NA] 0 0 Luminance Level [NA] 0-1023 (0-255 for 8bit) [NA] Set your zebras to match the profile for ETTR highlight clipping avoidance (for HLG use Mode 1 for viewing as it favours highlights): V-LogL Cinelike-D Hybrid Log Gamma Additional Notes If you're shooting a documentary for some particular client like, say, RAI or something similar, you need to go with the specs they're providing. In this buying guide we've rounded-up several great cameras for travel and recommended the best. You should perhaps repeat that experiment choosing a different scene but still within the bounds of your documentary. 3. is there a way to change how final cut pro reads the native 10 bit files from the gh5? Luminance Level 64-1023 / 64-940 / 0-1023 (10-bit) For choice of video luma levels. Master Pedestal, Highlight and Shadow and Luminance Levels are critical settings that, depending on what you're doing, need to … 709 Like Gamma (ITU-R BT.709) & Knee Control. Or at least be cautious about getting stuck in the perpetual vortex of meaningless minutia which won't get you anywhere. ・ Ability to lock (with the [AF/AE LOCK] button) when ISO Auto is set in M mode. Only me and you prefer 50p. The Leica Q2 Monochrom is a version of the Gold Award-winning Q2 that only shoots images in black and white. ・ A [Luminance Level] adjustment function that complies with 10-bit. V-LogL & LUT Display Function* So you either need twice as much light, or you need to open up the aperture of your lens, or find a faster lens to compensate. 'What's the best mirrorless camera?' Also ... Monitor Luminance 9. I assume that you're doing your videos mostly for yourself and for others to enjoy via YouTube. Help! Note how he's using 60p for some carefully picked slow motion b-roll clips only in his sample video, like the ice cutting clip, whereas the rest of his doc is shot in 24p (or sometimes 30fps). Keep it constant throughout your video. It's only when Sage. ... That has nothing to do with the Luminance levels, or the codec. in UHD 50p 8bit I see on the GH5 menu [0-255] / [16-235] / [16-255].If instead I want to rec. Here’s an explanation of some settings you might find confusing: Luminance Level. Re: Luminance level for video with gh5. Good luck with your documentary projects. I never made videoediting at 25p 10bit, but I made always it at 50p 8bit. As long as you're doing videos mostly for yourself, you can choose any frame rate you want. Adjust.] I'm the travel organizer, the director and the filmmaker. A lot of people tend to prefer 25p and a 1/50th shutter speed because it provides similar motion blur to movies that we have grown up with. If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our. The GH5 is a hybrid, and as with the Auto industry at the moment, this mix of formats seems to be where trends and favour lie for 2018. In our latest buying guide we've selected some cameras that might be a bit older but still offer a lot of bang for the buck. Above all I make only documentaries in UHD where there are sunny days like in Africa and South America. The huge benefit of going that route is that you avoid having to sort through a mountain of information and misinformation that might come your way. You should realize that changing the aspect ratio to anything else than this will actually crop the sensor, meaning that you’ll lose pixels. I thank you for your suggestions. You don't 'have to' do anything. You are the customer so do that which pleases you based on simple experimentation, is my suggestion. For this reason on my previous post I wrote the best option for me is 50p 10bit but GH5 doesn't have this option and I need to choose what it is giving me. He's got more videos that might be helpful to you as well.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqk8Nzo6wWE&frags=pl%2Cwn. Adriano, I am a retired layabout and have been hybrid shooting for years and mostly for fun as against doing so ‘professionally’. FWIW, I think you may be overthinking the whole frame rate issue way too early in the process. level gauge will be adjusted. Points of weakness shooting 25p: 1) You can't shoot fast moving scenes. For this reason I wrote I'd like to shoot at 50p 10bit because for me 50p is important but even 10bit is important, but it is impossible for me to shot with the option I like most. Time Code. Could you tell me why UHD 50p 10bit is a a bad choise? >The huge benefit of going that route is that you avoid having to sort through a >mountain of information and misinformation that might come your way. ・The luminance level of photos (including 6K/4K Photo and Post Focus images) can be preset when played back over HDMI output. THANKS. Good catch. I've corrected. >iment choosing a different scene but still within the bounds of your documentary. You can use other means to dim your scene down when necessary, like ND filters and such, and even dial down the ISO, within certain limits. I don't own a GH5 but that setting should be OK. What you'll see in most screens will be normal REC709 colour space, anyway.Like said, the other settings like 16-235 are settings you can normally ignore. level 1. My understanding is that sports broadcasts where there is lots of motion will shoot at higher frame rates (like 50p) so as to reduce the amount of motion blur and make a "sharper" image. S1 ・Previously, some users experienced a blue clipping effect in V-Log recording. The luminance level of photos ... GH5 Firmware Version 2.6 / GH5S Firmware Version 1.4 / G9 Firmware Version 2.0 1. If it's set to 64-940 or 64-1023 10 bit files work just fine. I believe his documentary film Sriracha was shot in 24fps. I appreciate the fact that you are on a mission to learn things, but I don't think crowdsourcing online forums to confirm your own pre-existing beliefs is the ideal way to go. I thank you for all your suggestions. Hold the camera in a horizontal position, and press [MENU/SET]. Out of curiosity: do you like to use 25p 10bit or 50p 8bit for documentaries?