Any advantages or disadvantages that I missed? Here are some other advantages and disadvantages of 35mm film that you may or may not have thought of. I also wanted to give a shout out to one of my favorite cameras (that I still do not own) that I believe is the truly the best of all worlds, the Mamiya 7 series. Cool factor: although the cameras attracting attention can be advantageous, if you're looking to concentrate on your photography, strangers walking up to you to chat may not be desirable. Good article. How to Use Your Digital Camera and Edit Photos in Photoshop, Lighting, Retouching, and Shooting for Magazines. Rangefinders are an exception to this, but once you get used to the mechanics of one, it can be even faster than shooting with an SLR. As most medium format cameras also have a high pixel count, the level of detail is also very high. Heres a couple more things you might want to consider: - The finder on a MF camera is so much larger than 35mm, and the depth of field much. Shallower depth of field: there's a reason portrait and wedding photographers from the 70s to 90s were all about medium format. Not only do they offer superior film resolution, but many other processes, such as tintype, make the variety of images you can create unparalleled. The biggest disadvantage of medium format cameras for most people is their price. Medium format cameras, all of them, are bigger, heavier, slower to use, and not as good in low light as 35mm cameras. Scanning is also more expensive. There has to be enough of a difference to justify the trouble of film and DSLRs are great. I never could justify the price of a digital back and ended up selling the AFDii to pay for a D800. HoBykoYan: Pentax SLR Lens Discussion: 16: 10-06-2011 12:28 PM: What are the advantages and disadvantages … Much like digital sensor sizes, there are advantages and disadvantages to each. Meanwhile, the Hasselblad H6D-100C and Phase One XF 100MP have a 53.4 × 40.0mm sensor while the Leica S (Typ 007) has a 37.5Mp 30 x 45mm sensor. Pretty please? The biggest disadvantage of medium format cameras for most people is their price. More light means, less noise and higher quality images. These plates were available in a wide ranges of sizes, but the term ‘whole plate’ is used to describe plates that measure 8 1/2 x 6 1/2 inches (215.9 x 165.1mm), while half plate is 6 1/2 x 4 3/4 inches (165.1 x 120.65mm). In this tutorial, I'll show you why this old format still reign… Many labs won't even offer flatbed scanning, and you'll have to spring for drum scanning. This means they gather more light. A view camera is amazing for it's swings and tilts. Familiar format: if you've shot full-frame digital, getting used to framing a shot is easy as it's the same viewfinder you're used to (albeit it's usually easier to manual focus on film cameras than digital). Square format was popular, with Hasselblad’s cameras being the aspirational models for many photographers. Hopefully the images above will give you an idea of the differences. I really like the results of the images, but I absolutely love the experience of slowing down, metering the light about a dozen times, and thinking a lot more before I press the shutter. mlewis. 6x7 cameras (one of my favorite sizes) can be a bit bulky and heavy, with tripod use becoming more of a necessity for stability, although some 6x7 cameras feel great in hand as well! Consequently, in the UK you can buy the Fujifilm GFX 50R from Wex Photo Video for £3,999 while in the US, Adorama sells it for $3,999. I have nightmares trying to get anything close to right when I scan myself compared to lab scans. In the past, analog-based medium-format cameras were a dime a dozen. You can pick up a used camera for a few bucks, and they're so ubiquitous that some people just give them away. I've thought about picking up a 645D, actually. Nice work again! What are your thoughts? Older manual lenses can be had for pennies on the dollar of their original price as well. For equivalent apertures and final output resolutions, we do expect medium format to yield a slight resolution advantage, thanks to its lower demands on resolving power of lenses. Many medium format cameras even have autofocus. Is Fujifilm Acros II Worth the Extra Cost? If you have a waist-level finder, the viewfinder image is also laterally reversed, so that does take some getting used to. Color tends to fool the eye, and we often accept a poorly composed image if it has punch and color. It definitely doesn't have the DOF advantage my Pentax 645 has. Great timing with this article. Pro: The dynamic range of medium format digital is huge compared to smaller formats, and especially film. With compact digital cameras that feature manual modes and even auto bracketing, you’re set to get started with high dynamic range photography. July 14, 2020 Matt Mills Tips and Tricks 0. Easier to scan than 35mm film: with a larger negative, the film doesn't curl quite as much, making flatbed scans easier. I prefer to shoot black and white, since it requires me to concentrate on the composition of my subject. However, 645 cameras like the Mamiya 645, Bronica RF 645 and Pentax, What is a mirrorless camera: key technology explained. Consequently, every medium format sensor pixel captures more light and this enables the sensor to generate a stronger image signal. I'm partial to medium format and larger for the groundglass on which to compose the image, and for the extended controls that the larger cameras bring to the game. With all these advantages to rangefinder cameras, why aren't they as popular? But with that quality and variety there is a cost. Digital medium format cameras have image sensors that are larger than those in so-called ‘full-frame’ cameras, but the actual size of the sensor varies. Agreed, the "look" (color palette) of film is unmistakable to anyone who shoots a particular stock regularly, just as the depth of field creates the "medium (or large) format look" people talk about so often. I use an Epson V700 and can usually get decent results with Silverfast or Epson Scan. 35mm is by far the cheapest way to go when getting into shooting film. The New Sigma 35mm f/2 Contemporary: A Better Choice Over Sony or Samyang? Medium and especially large formats are where I think film truly shine and where you start to notice how the different film sizes affect depth of field, etc. Fortunately, more and more camera brands are coming out with lighter and more compact camera bodies (in mirrorless camera form) with the same medium format shooting … I certainly don't profess to be the best scanner in the world, but I'll look into it! Learn the advantages and capabilities of medium-format cameras and examine all aspects of medium-format operations, including SLR, twin lens, panoramic, rangefinder, wide angle, press, and view cameras… The Goldilocks factor: medium format cameras inhabit the Goldilocks zone of cameras, with much of the speed of 35mm and a taste of the quality of large format. Good timing with the article! 645 Medium-format film starts off at 6x4.5 centimeters, commonly referred to as "645." Or maybe you just like to give great prints as gifts? Cropping: The 35mm frame does not lend itself as well to typical crops such as 8x10 and 11x14. Although drum scanning is nowhere near as expensive as it used to be, it ain't cheap. Shooting is speedy as well, as the viewfinder shows you almost exactly what your shot looks like in real time. Disadvantages of Medium Format Cameras. Each kind of camera comes in both RealRaw and digital, and comes in most formats, 35mm and medium format. It has given me a greater appreciation of film photography. Looking back I wish I had gone with the 7. Almost any mom and pop camera store will develop it along with national labs. Thank goodness for the wireless revolution, else Hans might have to learn to photograph in a full body cast. What was your preferred format when you were starting out? Medium format sensors also capture more dynamic range. Cameras that accept 35mm film are known as small format cameras. I haven't had the pleasure of using the Mamiya 7, although I hear everything I hear is pretty positive. Again, resolution and sharpness shouldn't be judged from this quick test as running back and forth and lack of control will cause shifts in quality of focus. I honestly see no advantage over shooting digital. But once you dig into the details, Hasselblad medium format … That’s over 66% larger. Advantage And Disadvantage Of Digital Camera … Shooting film in 35mm is not unlike shooting with the modern digital cameras. Here are a few key points for why moving to medium format digital made sense for me and my business: #1. Large format cameras used sheet film, that is individual frames of film, or plates that were anything from 5×4 inches (127 x 101.6mm) or larger. That said, with that weight comes the necessity to use a sturdy tripod, adding even more weight to your kit. View. Ease of scanning: with a larger piece of film, it tends to lay flatter and be easier to scan on flatbeds. However, 645 cameras like the Mamiya 645, Bronica RF 645 and Pentax  645 variants were very popular because they were a little smaller and you could squeeze more frames onto a roll of film. Pentax Medium Format Resources: 645 & 6x7 Cameras and Lenses, 645 & 6x7 Accessories: Adam: Pentax Medium Format: 9: 02-12-2017 03:38 AM: What are the advantages and dis-advantages of using a Focusing Screen? Good question. The standard frame size is 36 x 24mm, the same as the sensor in a full-frame digital camera. I set up a shot of myself (with my lovely wife on camera duty) and took a photo in 3 formats: 35mm, 6x7, and 4x5. Try not to focus much on resolution and more on how the feel of the image strikes you. Try that even with negative film… Here’s our take. The biggest advantage of using a medium format camera is that the pixels on the sensor are bigger than the pixels on a full-frame sensor. Image quality: nothing else in the film world comes close. Medium Format DSLR Cameras. What I was getting at is that of all the film choices, I would pick large and medium format over 35mm any day. Great article, love all the film attention! I just finished rolls in my Mamiya 645 and Cannon 7 this weekend. Medium format cameras are traditionally bigger and heavier than most cameras due to their large sensors. The color of properly exposed Portra 400 or 160 is unmatched by ANY digital camera in my opinion. There are exceptions to this as well, but when you decrease the size, you may lose some advantages the format offers, such as modularity. Did I mention it's cheaper? Mirrorless cameras really don’t have any disadvantages … The only difference between 120 and 220 film is that 220 is twice the length so you get double the number of exposures. I encourage photographers to not just buy medium format for medium format’s sake, but really know how it can benefit a photography business. I tried to keep the focal lengths and exposures similar. A little grain never hurt! “The medium format image has a lot more bite and a lot more contrast, a lot more richness, but again it comes down to that smoothness of transition of tonal range that is afforded by … Cost: although the cameras can be had cheaply, the film and development is very expensive. Types of Photo Cameras: Advantages and Disadvantages of Each Model. 35mm is fun, but I'm kind of in the same boat. In many cases, medium format cameras do offer better image quality when compared to full-frame cameras. If one doesn't have multiple formats available to them, 35mm is a good introduction to the world of film for those who have never shot it and far more readily available. As the sensor is the most expensive component of a camera, increasing its size sends the price shooting up. Pumping out negatives that makes 35mm cower in fear, they rule the roost in the image quality department. He is looking to document the every day person in an extraordinary way. From 6x4.5 to 6x6 up to 6x17 panoramics, medium format probably has the most versatility in choosing your frame. Another issue is that the large sensor needs a larger camera body to house it. Variety: the 120 film size can be used with most cameras, so you don't have to switch to a different film type every time you switch medium format sizes. … Looking at a slide of even 4x5 film may make you cry. If so, is it enough for you to deal with the inconveniences? Very concise article with a lot of great information for those new to or considering film. I'm pretty sure you will be happy with the results. Would really appreciate an article about colour correcting film once scanned. Some press cameras were made to be shot handheld, but they are the exception. For example, Fujifilm has managed to reduce the price of the GFX 50R in comparison to the GFX 50S by streamlining it a bit and making it less modular. If you plan on regularly printing above 11x14, you might want to take a serious look at the other formats. The difference in quality is there, but it's totally acceptable, easy to scan and it still looks like MF. Square format 6x6 cameras are a lot of fun as well, with Hasselblad being the big name in the bunch. They exist, but right now, they are expensive. Going on vacation to the eastern Sierra's next week and am taking a 35, 645 and 4x5 system. It is a 6x7 film camera that offers all the advantages of the 6x7 format while maintaining a very small/light form factor (not much larger than a typical dslr) due to the fact that is a rangefinder, and it offers a wide variety of modular and high quality glass that make it great for everything from documentary to portraiture to street. One of these is the ability to continuously shoot photos one after the other. I can look at an image, and guess correctly probably 90+% if it was shot on film or digital. mlewis 16 1.5k. Do take advantage of affordable online printing to get poster-sized prints made of your dogs to hang over your mantle like a fine Rembrandt? Your camera may be 12, 15 or even 20 megapixels, but a medium format negative or slide can be 50 megapixels. His subjects thank him for not falling down on them. As someone who loves 6x7 and especially 6x6 (I have a thing for my Hassy and the square format) I can say that even they look small in my hands after shooting 4x5. Here are some other advantages and disadvantages of 35mm film that you may or may not have thought of. And naturally, the lenses have to be larger to get a big enough image circle. Although other film formats exist, most medium format film cameras use 120 or 220 film. So, let’s proceed and see which the advantages are and which the disadvantages are. Speed: loading and unloading film, even on completely manual cameras, is pretty intuitive, quick, and easy. Modularity: a lot of medium format cameras are modular, so you can separate the film back and the prism from the body. While medium format digital cameras offer the best overall image quality for landscape photographers, they are often large, heavy and very expensive. This makes the kit less portable. Hans Rosemond has been known to fall down a lot on set. Cool factor: not only do the cameras command attention, but if you're into shooting portraits of strangers, the wow factor of the camera itself will often help subjects become more agreeable. Greater depth of field: If you're looking to get shallow depth of field, especially at wider angles, it's much more difficult with a smaller format. Sound off below! Personally, I don't shoot 35mm film for DOF. Alternative processes: because of the size of the medium, it's easier to introduce different processes from tintypes, pinhole, to shooting directly onto paper. Any help would be appreciated. Questions about the formats? Speed - From the autofocus (if it exists) to loading the film, using a MF camera is inherently slower. You can make image adjustments that are simply not possible with the mainstream digital cameras. Size: medium format cameras tend to be larger than their 35mm counterparts, and with that size comes weight and inconvenience. From the film to the development to the cameras, if you're looking to keep the budget tight, it's hard to beat 35mm. For ease of comparison, the surface area of a full-frame sensor is 864mm². I agree. First I'll explain each camera type, and then the advantages and disadvantages of each. There are other advantages and disadvantages besides, though – read on to find out which you should choose. Higher cost: with less exposures per roll and less variety of films available, cost may become an issue. Cropping: some of the formats, especially 6x7, lend themselves to magazine layout much better than 35mm. That said, I also happen to have all the options available to me. Here are the lenses, settings, and films used: 35mm: Nikon f100, f/5.6, 1/60 s, Kodak Portra 160, 6x7: Mamiya RZ67, f/5.6, 1/125 s, Kodak Portra 400, 4x5: Shen Hao 4x5, f/5.6, 1/30 s (bellows compensation), Kodak Portra 400. This represents a huge advantage as you can switch films in mid-roll simply by changing the film back. Availability of lab development: if you're looking to use a local lab to cut down costs, you can still find the occasional drug store that will develop 35mm film on the cheap. Cheaper than Medium Format … Take a look at the way the depth of field falls off as well as the differences in size. Even with a pretty nice flatbed scanner I don't seem to be getting the type of scans I see other people getting from the same equipment. Resolving Power: the jump from 35mm to medium format greatly increases the image fidelity you can achieve in your prints. It was an absolute dream to shoot once you get used to the fact that it is a rangefinder and the images are incredible. Many older cameras used plates covered in photographic emulsion instead of sheets of film. This means that less gain needs to be applied to signal and the image has less noise. Great article. With bodies ranging in size from a few pounds to the size of a truck (literally), large format cameras are the big daddies of the photography world. Oh, ive used a 645 before, but I was referring to the Pentax 645D. All rights reserved. A few people have asked what it means and how it relates to full-frame and APS-C format photography. The Process of Restoring a Leica Film Camera, Apple ProRAW Redefines the Meaning of Raw Files. 6x4.5 (that's centimeters, not millimeters) is the easiest to shoot, as many of the cameras are similar in form factor to 35mm SLRs. If you're just getting into shooting film, one of the first decisions you'll have to make is what format you'll be shooting. Both 5×4 and 10×8 inches (254 x 203.2mm) were popular sheet film sizes. I had a chance to get either a 7 or AFDii a few years back and went with the AFDii because of the AF and ability to add a digital back. Medium format has traditionally referred to a film format in still photography and the related cameras and equipment that use film. ... medium format cameras often have to stop down much further than 35mm cameras to achieve the … I'm only showing 35mm cameras … I shoot color neg film on 35mm for it's color. You can actually shoot a person with the sun in the image behind them, have detail in the shadows and avoid blowing out the highlights. Jabber Digital Media Ltd. - 4 Beau Street, Bath, BA1 1QY. The Business Advantages of Medium Format vs DSLR. Leicas are popular street cameras for a reason! The camera has difficulty in changing the settings stopping you from uses all that the camera has to provide. smaller, so manual focus on MF is a lot easier … When you look at scans from a medium format camera compared to 35mm, the size difference really starts to add up.