npm-windows-upgrade --npm-version latest The tool will show you a list of all the published and available versions of npm (including pre-release and beta versions). # nvm install node or # nvm install -lts or # nvm install Check all the available version of node on the system: # nvm ls. It is my understanding that you should be able to update npm using npm install -g npm, but the command has no effect on the npm being used:. If there is a new minor or patch release and we type npm update… I'm having issues with npm in a Vagrant box I'm setting up. I noticed that the npm version is somewhat old, so I wanted to check the problem with the latest release.. npm install npm@latest -g. Method 3: Using PPA repository (only for Linux). Steps to Upgrade Node.Js. npm publish will tag your package with the latest tag by default. The n feature allows you to interact with different Node.js versions.. 1. Usage: npm-windows-upgrade [options] 👍 Use the following steps to install or upgrade node.js to latest available version. To install latest version of node, use the following command. Update npm to latest version: # npm install -g npm Method 4: Using cache cleaning & stable installing (only for Linux). node -v v5.4.0 Clean Cache Forcefully – Now clean all npm cache from your system forcefully. Now those 2 files tell us that we installed version 1.3.1 of cowsay, and our rule for updates is ^1.3.1, which for the npm versioning rules means that npm can update to patch and minor releases: 1.3.2, 1.4.0 and so on.. Note: If you have linked a git repository to a package, updating the package version number will also add a tag with the updated release number to the linked git repository. Choose the one you want to install and let it do its thing! Update Node using Binary Packages 4. Now, if we update a package using npm update command npm will only update the minor and patch versions because of versioning rules it adds to package.json file like ^3.9.0.. Updating all packages. If you need to add a tag to a specific version of your package, you should use: npm dist-tag add @ [] Publishing with tags. Update Node using Version Manager 3. If you want to upgrade Node.js from the command line, use the n model within the npm command. Use a particular version # nvm use . Yes, it shows that 4.4.1 as the latest, but when running npm -g update npm it downloads 4.4.2. running npm -g install npm@latest installs 4.4.1. Step 1 – How ‘npm version’ works. When this command gets executed, the next logical version gets written to the ‘package.json’ file. npm update -g. Method 2: Using npm@latest command to update the node package manager. Before we can create a script or tool that injects the package version into the ‘package-solution.json’ file, let us take a short look in the command named ‘npm version‘. But not for major version changes that break compatibility, which means, in this example, 2.0 and higher. Current NodeJs Version – First check current nodejs version on your system using following command. Before updating the Node.js release, check which version you are currently using with: Update Node using an installation wizard (MacOS, Windows, Linux) 1. Advanced Usage. For example, if you were using date-fns version v2.9.0 and wanted to update to version 2.16.1, you would run: npm install date-fns@2.16.1 --save Updating the package by using npm installs the specified version of the package in your project and updates the version number in the package.json file dependencies and the lock file used in your project. How to upgrade node using pre-installed Node Package Manager (npm) In my case it is v5.4.0. I'm not a node/npm developer, but it would seem to me that it hits github's api for releases and doesn't filter out "Pre-release". If you are using the -tag flag, you can specify another that you want to use. sudo add-apt-repository ppa:chris-lea/node.js sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install nodejs npm. To update all packages to its latest (major) version, we need to install a new global package called npm-check-updates.