Oregano oil can be taken orally for any cold or cough symptoms. Send thanks to the doctor. Seems So: I am not aware of any reason why not. Dr. Mark Diamond answered. A 44-year-old member asked: Is it possible for me to take oil of oregano if I am breastfeeding? There are some folks out there who swear by oil of oregano for cold prevention, while it’s also used for cold and flu symptom treatment. Oregano oil for colds and flu is extremely useful. But may i ask what for? oz of liquid daily to maintain healthy immune function. X. This remedy is another easy, non-complicated method for use. You can use it in many different ways and many different combinations. Anyone know if oil of oregano is safe while nursing? The ultimate decision to breastfeed while taking medications should be based on an informed decision including available data, discussions between a mother, her physician, and the infants’ pediatrician. Because it is wild, oil of oregano is reportedly made without any additives or chemicals. Cold and flu have become extremely common today. Oil of oregano, also called oregano oil, is a herbal supplement most commonly used to prevent or treat certain respiratory illnesses. Send thanks to the doctor. Not advised while breastfeeding. However, the same thing that makes oregano oil so potent can also create complications for people with certain medical conditions. Immunity: The dietary use of oregano oil has shown immunity-modulating properties in some animal studies due to its antioxidant potential and ability to alter gut microbiota (5) (6) . No data exist on the excretion of any components of oregano into breastmilk or on the safety and efficacy of oregano in nursing mothers or infants. Oregano oil is an Essential oil extracted from the leaves of an oregano plant called origanum vulgare. Oregano oil can cause skin irritation if used straight. 0 comment. I personally used oils while breastfeeding and I would again. And while it is popular, there is no science to support the use of oil of oregano for any medical condition. Seems So: I am not aware of any reason why not. Mothers can mix essential oil I their babies bathing water only after mixing with a carrier oil as it’s a hot oil. Obviously, eating the oregano herb is fine because it is much less concentrated than the essential oil. Always dilute oil of oregano with unrefined coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil prior to using it; the usual mixture is 50/50. 45 years experience Pediatrics. If you drink excessive amounts of alcohol or take medication, consult your doctor prior to taking Oil of Oregano. Always dilute with a “carrier oil” like coconut and jojoba and test on a small area of skin before using a lot of it. Take oregano oil for colds and coughs. Oregano oil is a popular condiment and flavoring substance in several cuisines . All remedies given under are based on diluted oregano oil. 2. Can i take oil of oregano while breastfeeding ? It can help with chest congestion and coughs. It has been used for centuries to help treat colds, ... and back several times per day while you are coughing. Oil of oregano is a natural substance that is made from wild oregano plants. Collapse. Pregnant or breastfeeding women and people with diabetes should also refrain from using it. This is due to its expectorant, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antiseptic, and antioxidant properties. While oregano oil contains a significant amount, the compound thymol occurs most abundantly in thyme. Oil of oregano has anti-biotic, anti-bacterial, anti-viral, anti-parasitic and anti-fungal properties, capable of fighting infections, colds & flu viruses, allergic reactions, and reducing fevers. True Oil of Oregano Oil of oregano is a completely natural substance derived from wild oregano species. But I have used it while breastfeeding and I have used it on my children from 4 months of age topically, and 6 months of age orally. While the evidence on vitamin C's ability to fight colds is disappointing, the research on oil of oregano and garlic is more promising. In addition, oregano oil extract is not generally recommended for women who are pregnant or breastfeeding. 1 doctor answer. Internal use while breastfeeding is a divided topic and up to your discretion. Oregano oil is one of the best natural remedies if your immune system is under attack by a cold virus, the flu, respiratory infections, or any other illnesses. SUMMARY Oregano oil extract can be purchased in … Below are some of the general uses of oregano oil for non-pregnant individuals . If ingesting oregano oil daily, allow the liver to rest for a few days a week. * Add one to two Oregano oil drops to a veggie capsule to support healthy respiratory function. Oregano may cause an allergic reaction in people who have an allergy to plants in the Lamiaceae family, which includes basil, mint, rosemary, sage, savory, marjoram, oregano, hyssop, thyme, lavender and perilla. Use oregano oil which is a diluted oregano oil in olive oil or coconut oil for your sore throat. I don't usually take much over the counter stuff for colds except for oil of oregano and cold and flu. Of all the things I am exposed to by breathing and eating food, I believe the oils could only help her. Possible Risks from Using Oregano Oil during Pregnancy. Fighting Colds. Oregano oil is a rich source of vitamins and minerals. Suggesting that this herb is can effectively treat serious medical conditions like diabetes, asthma, and cancer is foolish and dangerous. Oregano oil is different from oregano essential oil. While there are innumerable home remedies for cold and flu, we often neglect little lesser known superfoods. Drape a towel over your head while situating yourself a safe distance above the pot. She is a strong, healthy 4-year-old so it went well for us! But may i ask what for? Oregano oil's aroma acts as an enhancer and equalizer in essential oil blends. Beyond that, oregano oil treats both the symptoms and the underlying infections. The recommendations I have seen for the use of oil of oregano for thrush treatment include topical use of the oil on baby's feet and mother's nipples and internal use of the oil by the mother. While most mothers want oils to help increase their milk production, there are others who actually suffer from overproduction of milk. 0. 0 thank. One of the compounds—thymol—can be toxic in high doses, so consult an expert before taking oregano oil regularly or giving to children. You can either mix three drops of the oil with a glass ... Children under the age of five and women who are pregnant or breastfeeding should avoid taking oregano oil internally. 0. It has been in use from ancient times to treat common ailments like skin diseases, stomach problems and respiratory infections such as cough, cold and flu. Before looking into how oregano oil cures cough, let us first understand what is oregano oil. ... subjects infected with Staphylococcus aureus bacteria (the cause of staph infections) were given oregano oil while others received regular antibiotics. Do not exceed recommended dose. Oil of Oregano while pregnant? Another use for oregano oil is fighting the common cold and its symptoms. If you feel the symptoms of flu coming on and want a natural go-to remedy to stave off falling sick, there's evidence to suggest that oregano oil can help. Naturopaths suggest that oil of oregano can help treat a variety of symptoms and aid in weight loss. Oregano oil has major health benefits for colds that can help you feel better when you’re sick, and there are so many reasons to keep this supplement in your kitchen this cold season. of course the bottle says "not if you are pregnant or breastfeeding" but they all say that :P This sinus cold is killing me and I want it gone! 45 years experience Pediatrics. Tea tree oil is antibacterial, antimicrobial and antiviral, which makes it one of the best essential oils for colds. Pregancy, Breastfeeding, Babies Guideline. Many people use the oil for naturally treating colds or sore throats, nail fungus and even herpes sores. Digestively, it has been shown to kill unwanted enteric (gut) bacteria, intestinal parasites, and even Candida Albicans yeast overgrowth, a particular hard condition to treat for many. Feeling congested? Taking oregano oil for colds works! Oil of oregano is popular essential oil known for its antimicrobial and antioxidant properties. Let's see in details. Oregano Oil for Colds. I do not recommend that breastfeeding mothers use oil of oregano to treat thrush... Oil of oregano (Origanum vulgare L.) is sometimes suggested for treatment of thrush (candida/yeast). Similar to the previously mentioned oils, tea tree oil works great when added to the diffuser or when diluted and applied to the chest area. It can also be mixed with mild vegetable glycerin or raw honey and massage. Oregano oil is promoted for its antibacterial properties but there’s no research on taking it while breastfeeding. Dilute oregano oil in milk or a milk alternative. : I'm really sick guys. Never consume pure oil. “I worry that it would decrease supply, though, because peppermint and sage both decrease supply a fair bit,” says Lamond. Following are 3 effective ways to use it to soothe your sore throat. Boil a small pot of water on your stove, tap is fine. Taking oregano oil orally can also help to fight infection. Oregano is another oil that is warned against using while breastfeeding for its milk decreasing properties. I've read crazy things about oil of oregano causing miscarriages and other complication and I shouldn't take it. Oregano oil has been advocated as a treatment for lactation-related Candida infection of the nipples;[1] however, no clinical studies have confirmed the safety or efficacy of this use. Posts; ... oil of oregano for colds during breastfeeding. Oil of Oregano is not recommended during pregnancy or while breastfeeding. ... but if you are taking any prescription medications or are pregnant or breastfeeding, check with your doctor before use. One among these is oregano oils. Then add 5–7 drops of oregano oil to the boiling water. Not suitable for children. Dr. Mark Diamond answered. Peppermint essential oil during breastfeeding can help reduce milk supply in nursing mothers who have a tendency to overproduce breast milk. Does anyone have any idea about that and some suggestions on how to get better? Another way to use oregano oil for coughs is to take three to five drops daily when you have a cough. If you have a dropper, you can take two droppers full if you feel any cold symptoms coming on, including a cough. I have not used wild oregano oil whilst pregnant. Uses. Collapse. Here are top 21 benefits of oregano essential oil: 1. can i take oil of oregano while breastfeeding ? Take one drop of Oregano oil in a veggie cap or 4 fl. Oregano. Oregano oil taken in medicinal amounts should be avoided during pregnancy due to concerns about miscarriage. Answered on Jan 27, 2019. The maximum amount of oregano oil to be used for 3+ month’s babies is not more than 1 or 2 drops per ounce of any carrier oil.