Pantua Is A Traditional Indian Sweet. Bengali cuisine (Bengali: বাঙালি খাবার) is a culinary style originating in Bengal region in the eastern part of the Indian subcontinent, which is divided between Bangladesh and the Indian states of West Bengal, Tripura and Assam's Barak Valley.There is an emphasis on fish, vegetables, and lentils served with the staple rice. by Madhushree Basu Roy | Oct 25, 2019 | Food, Foodblog, Uncategorized | 0 comments. Jagu Mayra shop. This post is however a recipe which is re-visited and with couple of additions. FreeArt provides Free 8x10 inch prints. Download this stock image: Pantua is a traditional Indian sweet. ”Panta Ilish” is very popular in Bangladeshi tradition specially in Pohela Boishakh and as boishaki recipe www.nirhara.com. All sides need to cook evenly. Here comes a sweet that’s synonymous with Bengali cuisine. Pantua (Bengali: পান্তুয়া) is a local confection of eastern India and Bangladesh. Rose water, cardamom or other flavourings are sometimes added to the sweet. You can follow us on Pikturenama recipes for more recipe ideas. Let the pantuas remain in the syrup for an hour. There shouldn’t be any cracks. Free art print of Pantua is a traditional Indian sweet. Each piece weighs 50-55 gm. Prices and download plans . Knead very well for about 5 - 6 minutes till the dough becomes very smooth. Pin this for your recipe board ? I found the recipe of pantua in Purnima Thakur’s Thakurbarir Ranna and in another ‘ Adhunik rannar boi by Shakuntala Bhattacharya. I was totally confused by this. Add semolina, flour, ghee and mix it thoroughly. Not as popular as its counterparts like Rosogolla or Pantua, however, it is still quite popular among Bengali sweet-preferring community. Sandesh is a Bengali sweetmeat to the core. This elongated deep-fried sweet made with chhana, khoya and flour, with bits of cardamom in it, and like most fried sweets, soaked in sugar syrup, the Langcha is now made all over Calcutta. Pantua can be considered as a Bengali variant of Gulab Jamun. When it is hot enough and about to rise add the lemon juice/calcium lactate powder, stir it till the milk curdles. When the water has completely drained off, take the chhana in a mixing bowl and knead it well. The distinctive feature of ledikeni is its molten sugar syrup of lightly flavored cardamom powder. It comes in a variety of colors, mainly light pink, light yellow, and white. Grate the khowa and mash them. In the meantime make sugar syrup by boiling with sugar and equal quantity of water in a pan. Turn off the gas and keep aside. Complete the entire dough and then get ready to fry them. In a deep vessel, boil the milk. Rose water, cardamom or other flavourings are sometimes added to the sweet. In a kadai or another heavy bottomed pan, take the sugar and water to make the sugar syrup. Stock Image - Image of food, asian: 38524227 . Always fry one ball and see that it is working out beofre adding more semolina or flour. There was a time when ‘Shukto’ was mandatory for Bengali’s lunch. Sign in Sign up for FREE. Pantua | Kalo Jam | Chanar Potol | Bengali Mouthwatering Sweet Preparation | Street Food Online. The first thing to do is to make chhana by boiling milk, adding lemon juice and letting it curdle. Shaktigarh in the Bardhaman District of West Bengal is famous for this sweet item.Langcha is one of the most delicious Bengali Sweets. In a mixing bowl, take the chhana and mash it with your fingers. Traditional sweet potato dumplings stuffed with coconut and made only during winters because of the use of nolen gur or date palm syrup. I made the first batch with sweet potato and chhana but it hardened in the refrigerator. It is a traditional Bengali sweet made of deep-fried balls of semolina, chhana, milk, ghee and sugar syrup. Then , my friend you have to come to Bengal(now West Bengal after the division).Bengal has its own charm & sweetness, because here … Pantua is a traditional Bengali sweet made of deep-fried balls of semolina, chhana, milk, ghee and sugar syrup. Pantua and Lady Kenny are very similar, in their look except that the latter has a raisin inside it and coated in castor sugar. It’s not a Bengali sweet but an apple jalebi is a definite party pleaser during Diwali. You can do it in oil as well or a combination of ghee and oil. In a kadai, heat ghee for deep frying. Do try this recipe and share your feedback. Let them soak in the syrup for at least an hour. No membership needed. Most of our Bengali sweets are chhana based. Gulab Jamun is one of the most popular Indian sweet world wide. Simple yet heavenly, these soft and spongy balls soaked in sugar syrup make for the ultimate comfort food for many. Pantua is very similar to the cheese-based fried sweet ledikeni. So, I did not use shabeda but instead I used semolina. Bhapa Doi A variant of the Bengali mishti doi, bhapa doi is made by blending yogurt and condensed milk which is then steamed. Remove the cardamom seeds from the pods and keep them ready. - DJ6P9T from Alamy's library of millions of high resolution stock photos, illustrations and vectors. ... or chum chum is a traditional Bengali sweet that is also popular in Bangladesh and is made with flour, cream, sugar, saffron, lemon juice, and coconut flakes. It is a traditional Bengali sweet made of deep-fried balls of semolina, chhana, milk, ghee and sugar syrup. Cardamom is added as flavouring to the sweet. But the signature recipe of Shaktigarh remains. Mixed with a little bit of semolina and flour, the dough is deep fried and then dunked in a sugar syrup. Frankly, it’s one of those shops, which you won’t even look back twice if you pass by it. Whereas, pantua is a chhana (chhena) based sweet. #sweet #rangaaloo #Bengalirecipe #Bengalicuisine #Indianrecipe #sankranti #festival #Pikturenama You can use ghee for deep frying. It is a trial and error method. Then prepare a basic sugar syrup with sugar and water. Or Do you want to take a joy ride of one of the most culturally prosperous state of India. Pantua is a Bengali sweet which is made up of ingredients like semolina, Chhena, milk, ghee and sugar syrup. Then add semolina, flour and a little bit of ghee and further knead it to a smooth dough. I did not quite understand the differences until a few years back. Stock Photos; Editorial; Illustrations; Videos; Audio; Free Photos; Blog; Sign up for FREE or Sign in. After an hour, they are ready to be served. I have blogged about the recipe way back in past as well. Chhanar jilipi shapes like a jalebi. Image of desserts, semolina, dessert - 38503616 . These are smooth textured and come in several colors, like light brown and yellow, but mainly white. May 4, 2013 - Pantua (Bengali: পান্তুয়া) is a local confection of eastern India and Bangladesh. Once the pantua balls have become a nice brown colour, take them out of the ghee and dunk into the prepared sugar syrup. Finally after some trial and error, I managed to make a perfect batch of pantua. You can follow us on Pikturenama recipes for more recipe ideas (Link). Unknown View my complete profile I called my friend Debjani and she told me that most sweet shops use shabedar aata, ie, chiku flour. Among the traditional Bengali sweets, sandesh and rosogolla define the taste of Bengal to the world. About Me. However, if you keep them longer, they absord more syrup and become even more soft. It is similar to gulab jamun, and is also known as the Bengali variant of that dish. Most unimpressive exterior and the landmark is D. N Mitra Studio. This seems only natural since they are, as a group, known for having a sweet tooth. During our food festival at Mustard, I saw Debjani using semolina while making komola bhog. It is a traditional Bengali sweet made of deep-fried balls of semolina, chhana, milk, ghee and sugar syrup. [2] A sweet very similar to the modern pantua and ledikeni, but made of rice flour, is mentioned in the 12th century Sanskrit-language text Manasollasa. You can flavour it with cardamom as well. Indian Eagle shares some tidbits of the best five Bengali sweets at the behest of our customers who are flying to Kolkata. Pantua is a traditional Bengali dessert, of which variants such as Langcha and Ledikenni are available. I did use a little bit of flour for binding. While rounding them, it is very important to smooth out the balls completely. Similar to gulab jamuns, these pack a delicious punch and you should definitely not miss out on this one. Although this is a traditional Bengali sweet, it is popular across the entire Indian subcontinent. Sweet potato gulab jamun or mishti aloor pantua as it is popularly known in Bengal is one heavenly dessert that make good use of superfood like sweet potatoes and a must have in our home during Sankranti festival Print RecipePantua (Bengali Sweet) Heat the 1.5 liter milk in a big pan. Whereas, pantua is a chhana (chhena) based sweet. Bengali traditions have a wide horizon. Once the milk has separated, stran it in a muslin cloth and separate the whey. Photo about Pantua is made of deep-fried balls of semolina, khoya, milk, ghee and sugar syrup. Stock Photo - Image of desserts, semolina: 38503616. Squeeze out as much water as possible. It takes a bit a of time to fry the pantua balls. You can check our youtube channel for some more cooking videos . Chhana or homemade paneer is quite an essential ingredient in a Bengali household. Deep fried Bengali sweet made with chhana or homemade panner and then dunked into a syrup. Mixed with a little bit of semolina and flour, the dough is deep fried and then dunked in a sugar syrup. Pantuas range in colour from pale brown to nearly black depending on how long they are fried. It looks like a gulab jamun but is made with different ingredients. You can reach out to us at our social media handles: Instagram, Facebook or any of our personal Facebook (Madhushree and Anindya) and twitter profiles. Search This Blog. Chhana or homemade paneer is quite an essential ingredient in a Bengali household. If you have tasted pantua, this is similar to it. When the milk has boiled, add the lemon juice and turn off the heat. It is a traditional Bengali sweet made of deep-fried balls of semolina, chhana, milk, ghee and sugar syrup. When it has completely curdled, strain it and leave the chhana inside the strainer with a weight on top to drain out all the water. Langcha is a famous sweet of West Bengal.This is one of those popular fried sweets that India is famous for. Post a picture and tag us. There is kalo jam, chitrakoot and many more. The pantua balls should be added to warm ghee instead of hot. I will share a dessert recipe to start off New Year blog post-‘ Ranga aloor pantua ‘- sweet potato dessert, is one such traditional Bengali sweet recipe. Let the water boil and melt the sugar. Pantua (Bengali: পান্তুয়া) is a local confection from the Indian subcontinent, notable in West Bengal, Eastern India and Bangladesh. Like most of the deep-fried Bengali sweets, Chitrakut is also made with fresh cottage cheese of cow’s milk mixed with semolina and flour. bengali homemade sweet, bengali mishti, bengali mithai, bengali sweet, difference between pantua and gulab jamun, diwali mithai, diwali sweet, durga puja sweet, gulab jamun, how to make pantua in bengali, langcha, ledikeni, lengcha, lyangcha, pantua, pantua gulab jamun difference, pantua misti recipe, pantua recipe, sweet with chhana, Doodh Maach- A versatile stew that goes with any kind of fish, Chocolate Badam Burfi | Chocolate Almond Fudge for Diwali, Meathead – Pork belly Sandwich , the new entrant. If the popularity of Bengali sweets—known as mishti—such as rasgulla, sandesh, and mishti doi is anything to go by, the Bengalis from Eastern India know a great deal about sweet making. Some of them are well-known but there are many traditions which are unknown to the world. Pantua Is A Traditional Indian Sweet. Why would I use shabeda, which is a chiku, in a sweet? Incidentally, it’s quite similar in taste to the Pantua, which is of course shaped like a ball of sponge. There are several chhana based deep fried Bengali sweets ( in different shapes) with minute differentiation. To cut a long story short, Pantua is a fried sweet which is dipped in sugar syrup. When done, drain them and dunk them in the syrup. In a kadai, take ghee for deep frying. This here is an important point. [1] The name ledikeni is a rendition of "Lady Canning" and was first used by confectioner Bhim Chandra Nag, when he renamed his pantuas specially prepared on the occasion of the birthday of Countess Charlotte Canning, wife of Governor-General Charles Canning. Purnima Thakur’s book also speaks about adding sweet potato. There are several chhana based deep fried Bengali sweets … - BBCK31 from Alamy's library of millions of high resolution stock photos, illustrations and vectors. Balls made with a mixture of refined flour, baking powder, dried evaporated milk solids, Indian cottage cheese & sugar are fried in ghee and served hot. Keep the heat at medium and let the pantua fry very slowly. Do you want to see one of the most artistic culture of India? Pantua is made of deep-fried balls of semolina, khoya, milk, ghee and sugar syrup. 5. There is of course, many variations of this recipe. I have never referred to Bengali cook books before this. This prevents from the outside from getting burnt without cooking from the inside. Pantua (Bengali: পান্তুয়া) is a local confection from the Indian subcontinent, notable in eastern India and Bangladesh. There was no way I was getting it anywhere close to my house. Give it a stir and let it continue to boil till the water becomes a syrupy consistency- what we call a one string consistency. Stored with many micronutrients, probably much more than freshly cooked rice, Panta Bhat has high nutritional value and is a super immunity booster. However, to us Bengalis, it is it’s distant cousin, Pantua, which is favoured. It is a traditional Indian sweet made of deep-fried balls of semolina, chhana, milk, ghee and sugar syrup. Now make small balls, about an inch in diameter of the pantua dough. Pantua is a traditional indian sweet. Hence, it has a distinct taste as well. Sandesh . Insert a small khowa ball and one cardamom seed and seal the dough. Lately I decided to get a couple of recipe books in Bengali. It is then cut in rectangle or diamond shape before deep frying and soaking in a simple syrup. However, it is better to not use saffron (it is not a gulab jamun). while Gulab Jamun is also a milk-based desert but its primary ingredients are wheat flour and milk powder which are made into dough and cooked in boiling sugar syrup. Turn them around when one side has cooked. See more ideas about bangladeshi food, bengali food, traditional food. Pantuas range in colour from pale brown to nearly black depending on how long they are fried. Photo about Pantua is made of deep-fried balls of semolina, khoya, milk, ghee and sugar syrup. You can reach out to us at our social media handles: Pin this for your recipe board ? 1) Shukto Image Source This is basically a mixed vegetable platter. There was khowa used as well but only as a filling along with a cardamom seed. Make small tiny balls of the khowa. Pantua (Bengali: পান্তুয়া) is a local confection of eastern India and Bangladesh. You can also use only vegetable oil or a combination of both. Ghee adds flavour to pantua. [3], Pantua is similar to gulab jamun, and could be called a Bengali variant of that dish. This would make about 300 gms of chhana or 3 cups approximately. Download this stock image: Pantua is a traditional Indian sweet. Make it a nice round shape without any cracks and place on a plate. Pantuas range in colour from pale brown to … There is ledikeni- a pretty famous sweet named after and created for Lady Canning. Flatten it in the palm of your hand. She had learnt this trick from her father. Pantua (Bengali: পান্তুয়া) is a local confection from the Indian subcontinent, notable in West Bengal, Eastern India and Bangladesh. Place the muslin cloth with the chhana over a a large strainer and put a weight on top to release any excess water. I am not very fluent in bengali reading and most of my cook books are of baking or of International chefs. You might need extra lemon juice if the milk doesn't curdle. for me, a good pantua should have the outer crust light and inside should be fluffy. Again the syrup shouldn’t be hot. [4], https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Pantua&oldid=980419837, Articles containing Bengali-language text, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, This page was last edited on 26 September 2020, at 12:41. Anindya already had Chitrita Baerjee’s book and I also found two of my mother in law’s Bengali cookbooks. There are numerous traditions that are evolving from social structure, lifestyle and place of origin or location. It should be of room temperature or warm. Over an hour, the syrup gets soaked and then you can serve them. Stock Photos; Editorial; Illustrations; Videos; Audio; Free Photos; Blog; Sign up for FREE or Sign in. Flour, rose water, saffron, coconut, cream and sugar are mixed to perfection to produce this signature Kolkata sweet.