Best Guide for the Field - National Geographic Field Guide to the Birds of North America - With stunning artwork and comprehensive coverage, the National Geographic guide remains the favorite of many serious birders. Illustrator: David Allen Sibley Publisher: Scott & Nix, Inc. The second editions contain similar great content to Condensé et complet, ce nouveau guide traduit par Normand David traite de 650 espèces et de diverses populations régionales présentes à l'est des Rocheuses. To me, it's worth it just for that. The Sibley Guide to Birds . Ambiguity and bird identification. But it is a great presentation of Peterson's art, which, as you said, is classic. Turtleback. Those early illustrations laid the groundwork for our modern incantation: thick books filled with images of birds in their varied plumages, accompanied by range maps and text. I use both, but I find that the Peterson is a little bit easier to use. Every time I'm in the bookstore I flip through other guides but I always end up sticking with my Sibley's just because it feels so complete. Though newer guides have surpassed Peterson in usefulness and presentation, the colorful, lively artwork included here evokes an unmatched love of birds and birding. Peterson Guide to Woodpeckers of North America. Peek-a-boo! Peterson vs Sibley. ID Guides - Links to Bird ID Resources (PDF) opens PDF file . Peterson Field Guide to Animal Tracks: Third Edition Olaus J. Murie. Peterson released an enlarged and updated version in 2008, but at heart it’s still the same guide you used to find on your grandfather’s shelf. Sibley, like Roger Tory Peterson, draws patternistic birds, all in similar poses mostly in profile, against a white background. More than 850 species of birds inhabit the United States. And the Sibley app. We protect birds and the places they need. National Geographic Kids Bird Guide of North America. Check Price ... Combines the Peterson Field Guide to Eastern Birds and Peterson Field Guide to Western Birds into one volume. All mentioned guides are illustrative and informative and range between the $20 mark to $30. Archived . Stokes Guide to Bird Behavior, Volume 1. Membership benefits include one year of Audubon magazine and the latest on birds and their habitats. If you're going to purchase one field guide, I don't recommend one that only has actual photographs such as Audubon's or Stokes.. 46 used from $1.39. Simple observation always leads to new ideas and new discoveries, and one of my greatest satisfactions is learning new things about the natural world. Compare multiple birds on the same screen. It’s the least you can do. Can This Critically Endangered Bird Survive Australia's New Climate Reality? Overwhelmed and Understaffed, Our National Wildlife Refuges Need Help. Our email newsletter shares the latest programs and initiatives. Look for the second printing of 2014’s Second Edition if you want to avoid minor printing issues that caused a stir with the first printing. In addition to simply digitizing traditional guides, mobile technology offers birders new options for recording observations and for identifying mystery sounds. Hardcore birders love to debate which field guide format is best: photos or illustrations. COMPLETELY REVISED AND UPDATED: From renowned birder, illustrator, and New York Times best selling author David Sibley, the most authoritative guide to the birds of the West, in a portable format that is perfect for the field. Specialized field guides permit birders to dig deep into complicated identification issues and revel in the details of particular families. Compact and comprehensive, this new guide features 703 bird species plus regional populations found wes The Sibley Guide to Birds has quickly become the new standard of excellence in bird identification guides, covering more than 810 North American birds in amazing detail. Backyard Birds (Field Guides for Young Naturalists) $6.99. Voici enfin en version française le guide de poche de David Sibley tiré du Sibley Guide to Birds, reconnu comme LA référence en matière d'identification. (2) Sibley’s search engine uses broad categories including distinguishing features, all water birds, sparrow size, etc. Sibley’s Birding Basics $ 15.95 Add to cart. [–]WNC_beer_and_fish 1 point2 points3 points 1 year ago (0 children). use the following search parameters to narrow your results: birding. Now comes a new portable guide from David Sibley that every birder will want to carry into the field. Number one favorite: Sibley Guide to Birds of Eastern North America The Golden Guide’s Birds of North America, is extremely portable and accessible for beginners. Each of these books is an excellent companion for the advanced birder. whatever you want to call it, if you are looking at or listening to birds you should be frequenting /r/birding. Taking advantage of the digital format it includes more than 2,000 recordings of songs and calls, a compare species function, and a smartsearch tool that allows you to filter species by color, shape, and your current location. My question is, as a new birder, will I be at any great disadvantage for keeping the Peterson? REDDIT and the ALIEN Logo are registered trademarks of reddit inc. π Rendered by PID 10415 on r2-app-0f57c2fcf907b6a2c at 2020-12-03 19:07:00.882250+00:00 running a42a821 country code: US. Sibley Field Guide to Birds East 2nd Edition View recommended optics, books and apps on the /r/rbirding wiki. Identification of Belding’s Savannah Sparrow. 23 new from $3.50. Sibley is my favorite field guide, but it sounds like you can wait for the new one. BirdsEye, also connected to eBird, allows users to see a customizable map of birds recently seen nearby, a huge help to those with lists of target species. But things get pretty complicated after that, which is why birders (of every skill level) have guides to help them sort one species from another. Certain segments of the bird world require a more in-depth look than a traditional field guide can give, and a host of specialized field guides have sprung up to help. Best Classic - Peterson Field Guide to the Birds of North America - Roger Tory Peterson invented the modern field guide when his Guide to the Birds was released in 1934. Legal Notices Privacy Policy Contact Us. and picked up a copy of the Sibley and Peterson guides for North America to see which I like more with the intention on returning the other. Peterson Birds for the iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad is the only app that guides you through identifying a bird, and gives you range maps, bird songs, sightings records, life lists, and much more for your birding … Good day for Sacred Kingfisher, bad day for crab, Beautiful Northern Pintail spotted this weekend in Northern Virginia. Redpoll investigation widens to include “Greater” – another manifestation of subjective impressions of ambiguous features. It includes a greater number of illustrations and portrays more of the various ages of the birds. CDN$22.72. The Sibley Guide to Birds, second edition, brings the genius of David Allen Sibley to the world once again in a thoroughly updated … Are the Trump Administration's Environmental Rollbacks Built to Last? My first real bird guide book was a paperback copy of Roger Tory Peterson’s “A field Guide to Birds of the Eastern United States” that I got when I was Alex is correct - a new Sibley guide is planned for next year. Bird Finder creates lists for counties, provinces, and hotspots in … . The Sibley Guide to Birds. Best Guide for Visitors to the U.S.: The Crossley ID Guide: Eastern Birds. https://www.chewy.com/sibley-guide-to-birds-second-edition/dp/157910 The Sibley Field Guide to Birds of Eastern North America, written and illustrated by David Allen Sibley. 4.2 out of 5 stars 19. I also included the Peterson and Audubon mammal, tree, and wildflower guides to see if there was a consistent difference in the citation patterns between the two series, hypothesizing that the Peterson guides would be more heavily cited. The new Sibley Birds app has arrived with comprehensive, up to date information of over 930 North American species. Note - poster from book on butterflies is missing. Get an ad-free experience with special benefits, and directly support Reddit. BirdLog allows birders to record observations made in the field, and submit them instantly to a user’s connected eBird account. The Warbler Guide, released last year, stands out for its comprehensive and multi-pronged approach to a large group of beautiful birds. Like Peterson Birds of North America app, Peterson Feeder Birds includes information from the Peterson Field Guide to Birds of North America and 7 other Peterson Field Guide series books. More. Other guides that Reviewed in the United States on March 14, 2006. Type in your search and hit Enter on desktop or hit Go on mobile device. Alex is correct - a new Sibley guide is planned for next year. For birds in Europe I'd recommend any output from "Collins" or in the UK, the RSPB has some great field guides. Sibley is much more comprehensive in terms of showing subspecies, variant plumages, non breeding plumages, juvenile and immature plumages, male vs female, etc. Verified Purchase. by Steve N. G. Howell and Brian L. Sullivan | Apr 3, 2018. I’m David Sibley, author and illustrator of the Sibley Guides and other books (and now apps as well) about birds and nature.I’ve been an avid birdwatcher for most of my life, with drawing and painting as a way of exploring nature. Beginning with the publication of The Sibley Guide to Birds in 2000, David Allen Sibley has gone on to establish himself as North America’s premier naturalist and illustrator of birds. The 2008 Peterson guide is fairly up-to-date, although it doesn't have all the latest splits and name changes that the new NatGeo guide has. (4) Waite’s Guide and iBird offers the iBird Journal where birders can save observations. and picked up a copy of the Sibley and Peterson guides for North America to see which I like more with the intention on returning the other. Captured in pencil and gouache, Sibley’s birds are as scientifically accurate as Peterson’s or … [–]fleur-jaune[S] 1 point2 points3 points 1 year ago (0 children). Account & Lists Account Returns & Orders. Very detailed and inexpensive. • Revised taxonomic order and most current common names for every species. • 85 bird family pages now cross-referenced to species accounts. Sooty & Short-tailed Shearwaters (PDF) Bell’s & Sagebrush Sparrows. Size: 24 × 36" Sibley’s first wall poster “field guide” for every backyard birder. I’m David Sibley, author and illustrator of the Sibley Guides and other books (and now apps as well) about birds and nature.I’ve been an avid birdwatcher for most of my life, with drawing and painting as a way of exploring nature. Reviewed in the United States on March 14, 2006. He is also the author of the Sibley Guide to Trees (2009), the Sibley Guide to Birds-Second Edition (2014), and guides to birds of eastern and western North America (2016). The Sibley Guide to Birds . At first glance the Peterson Field Guide to the Birds of North America almost seems “un-Peterson-ish”. The great innovation of the new Crossley guide is the use of multiple photos for each species, showing the bird from the variety of angles that one might encounter in the field. Audubon does not participate in political campaigns, nor do we support or oppose candidates.”. Identification of “Black Petrels” (PDF) Morphs of the Parasitic Jaeger (PDF) Occurrence & ID of Leach’s Storm-Petrel (PDF) Seabirds of the World. Visit your local Audubon center, join a chapter, or help save birds with your state program. Simple observation always leads to new ideas and new discoveries, and one of my greatest satisfactions is learning new things about the natural world. Since the Sibley Guides were released a few years ago, they’ve almost completely displaced Peterson’s among birders who actually need field guides. Photo: Dick Dickinson/Audubon Photography Awards, In a blind at a Royal Society for Protection of Birds (RSPB) reserve at Rainham Marshes, Essex. (I also find the writing kinda poetic which is nice haha). (NOTE: this guide currently only comes in an Eastern U.S. version, so this isn’t the one to get if you’re visiting the West Coast). What lifts it into the realm of art is Sibley’s illustrations—330 of them, many life-size. Large number of drawings per species, excellent Sibley art, large number of bird calls, compare 2 birds. Just made a new account on Reddit for birding. The Peterson gull guide is in the most need of an update and renovation, though the depthless complexities of gull identification often mean that book is necessary, anyway. If you have a photo you want identified, please post to our monthly monthly identification thread. Seabirds. Skip to main content.sg. David Sibley has written an excellent field guide. New birders will definitely appreciate the ease of use with The Sibley Guide to Birds. Unfortunately, the range maps are all in the back of the book. (5) BirdsEye’s My Bird List requires the use of an eBird account. Fitting pegs in holes. 4.7 out of 5 ... Peterson Guide to Bird Identification―in 12 Steps. twitching. Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy. Now my life list is over 250. and join one of thousands of communities. 2 Books: Butterflies - A fascinating guide to this beautiful insect species, National Audubon Society - The Sibley Guide to Birds - written and illustrated by David Allen Sibley. “Any new Sibley book is an event . He is America's most gifted contemporary painter of birds. A little too large and heavy to be a good field guide. The Border Wall Has Been 'Absolutely Devastating' for People and Wildlife, Rulers of the Upper Realm, Thunderbirds Are Powerful Native Spirits. Peterson Guide to Woodpeckers of North America. I have to admit that I have never owned the actual first edition. Peterson Field Guide to Birds of North America. Sibley's Birding Basics: How to Identify Birds, Using the Clues in Feathers, Habitats, Behaviors, and Sounds David Allen Sibley. Its compact size and relatively light weight—more than a pound lighter than Sibley—makes it the best guide to take on a hike. The Sibley Guide to Birds by David Allen Sibley is recognized as a leading bird watching book authority. A sprightly, information-packed encyclopedia of bird behavior. The newly updated Peterson is a work of art as well as a fairly easy-to-use guide. Check Price ... Combines the Peterson Field Guide to Eastern Birds and Peterson Field Guide to Western Birds into one volume. • For bird pet care, go to r/pets or r/veterinarian All the detailed artwork from David Sibley’s Guide to Birds Second Edition is included as well as thorough descriptions and distribution maps. The Sibley Guide instantly became the industry standard when it was released in 2000, and it remains on top thanks to its comprehensiveness, cleanliness and simplicity. Now comes a new portable guide from David Sibley that every birder will want to carry into the field. All Hello, Sign in. Good species details, multiple song vocalizations. • Revised taxonomic order and most current common names for every species. Alfred A. Knopf. Peterson Birds is a powerful app that draws from eight Peterson Field Guide titles and is based on thousands of hours of observation in the field by more than ten expert authors and illustrators. The "Peterson" and "Sibley" guides are published in regional editions and the "National Geographic Guide" includes all the birds found in North America. Features include: • A new easy to navigate menu system on iPhone. Close. One, obviously there are more species listed since this publication is for all of North America. The Crossley ID Guide. England. birdwatching. In 2000, David Sibley published his mammoth Field Guide to the Birds of North America, which was quickly recognised as being a great guide, but rather too large for most coat pockets. Related products. All the detailed artwork from David Sibley’s Guide to Birds Second Edition is included as well as thorough descriptions and distribution maps. in stock. (That tenth birder is the one who misidentifies a lot of birds, by the way.) Its compact size and relatively light weight—more than a pound lighter than Sibley—makes it the best guide to take on a hike. This special, large-format volume is geared as much to nonbirders as it is to the out-and-out obsessed, covering more than two hundred species and including more than 330 new illustrations by the author. Want to see more of our favorite ID guides? Here’s where each shines. Sibley: Audubon: Nat Geo: Peterson: Strengths: Search engine, zoomable images, large amount of data per species, has both photos and drawings. “The views expressed in user comments do not reflect the views of Audubon. Geographic, and Sibley bird guides. I see that the Sibley guide is much preferred by the community but after looking at both I much prefer the Peterson guide for layout, descriptions, etc. The paintings are not overwhelming and the information is easy to digest. Photo: Howard Arndt/Audubon Photography Awards, Great Egret. Bird ID is a great topic, and we encourage it here. Posted by 1 year ago. NOT for bird care or rescue. minerals).It is generally designed to be brought into the 'field' or local area where such objects exist to help distinguish between similar objects. Sure, all of them have the same basic structure: two wings, feathers, a beak on the face. 1 point2 points3 points 1 year ago (0 children). England. Peterson vs Sibley. CDN$30.30. Photo: Richard Baker/In Pictures/Corbis. Updates include new paintings and maps. Best Photo Guides: The Stokes Field Guide to the Birds of North America and the Kaufman Field Guide to the Birds of North America. Thanks for your input! I've always found the the Peterson guides don't provide quite enough information for trickier IDs. The name Sibley has become as synonymous with the field guide as Peterson was for decades. In North America, I found the Sibley guides are outstanding as is the recent National geographic field guide. It's the same issue I have with most photographic field guides, they'll help you identify adults in breeding plumages but not much else (obviously a generalization, some are better than others). Skip to main content.sg. The illustrations were done by a variety of artists, so there isn’t the single style found in the Peterson, Sibley, or Golden guides. Cons . The 2008 Peterson guide is fairly up-to-date, although it doesn't have all the latest splits and name changes that the new NatGeo guide has. Or take action immediately with one of our current campaigns below: The Audubon Bird Guide is a free and complete field guide to more than 800 species of North American birds, right in your pocket. Larkwire and Chirp! The Sibley Field Guide to Birds of Eastern North America: Second Edition (Sibley Guides) by David Allen Sibley | Mar 29, 2016. SKU: 1218 Category: ID Guides. Click here to see it on Amazon! Peterson Reference Guides: Birding by Impression. National Audubon Society Other posts just asking for an ID will be removed. are interactive learning experiences, teaching bird vocalizations through games, challenges and comparisons. Peterson Field Guide to Birds of North America by Roger Tory Peterson. Sighting and life-list built in. Account & Lists Account Returns & Orders. listing. Amazon.com. I’ve got both as well. Paperback. All Hello, Sign in. To help you navigate the growing world of bird guides, here’s a handy rundown of the different choices available. This book surpasses National Geographic's "Field Guide to Birds of North America" and the Peterson's Series of Bird Guides. Also includes access to 3 hours of video podcasts. Hi all, I'm planning to get started on birding (well already started technically!) Roger Tory Peterson’s first field guide to birds was published in 1934 and has since evolved pleasantly to be one of the most widely used guides on the market. Both books are in excellent condition!!! A larger book in physical dimensions than "A Field Guide to the Birds of Eastern and Central North America", the information included is nearly identical to the above with four notable exceptions. Even more helpful, species accounts can now be accompanied by actual audio of bird vocalizations, an overwhelming improvement on ridiculous, though necessary, phonetic text (“a gentle, rolling popopopo”). Best Overall Guide: The Sibley Guide to Birds. Birding Basics and introductory topics On the psychology of bird identification: Judging size of birds. But it is a great presentation of Peterson's art, which, as you said, is classic. Peterson has done well for me. Very detailed and inexpensive. Save $5.00 when you buy $20.00 of select items. The 2008 Peterson guide is fairly up-to-date, although it doesn't have all the latest splits and name changes that the new NatGeo guide has. as of November 30, 2020 9:03 am . Design is really important to me and I just find Peterson way more intuitive, I think I'll stick with the one I like. 4.7 out of 5 stars 569. Hardcover $15.00 $ 15. Buy Now. 00 $17.95 $17.95. Hope you all like a picture of an inquisitive robin! Peterson Field Guide to Birds of Eastern and Central North America $ 19.95 Add to cart. Spine secure, pictures vibrant. Spread the word. As a teenager I discovered Roger Tory Peterson's bird books,and found him to be an amazingly accurate illustrator.I am a grandmother now and an avid bird watcher. Covering just half the continent, these classic guides help you narrow down your choices to the birds where you live. 4.0 out of 5 stars Nat'l Geographic vs Sibley and Peterson Bird guides. Updates include new paintings and maps. • 85 bird family pages now cross-referenced to species accounts. If you get this one, you’ll be missing a few of the rarer species. Whether you’re just getting started or looking for the perfect warbler app, you’ll find the right guide here. 5. View Peterson's Birds of North America for Android. It’s easier to draw a bird into the position and plumage you want, the argument goes, but photos more accurately portray how a bird actually looks in the field. The Sibley Guide to Trees: david-allen-sibley: Amazon.sg: Books. The mentions of abundance levels were appreciated and the overall appearance of the guide is just plain ascetic. Of these two excellent guides, Kaufman is more compact and portable, while the heftier Stokes has more photos of each bird. (1) Peterson includes Hawaiian birds, however, their information is noticeably incomplete — including non-existent range maps. I took the advice of several experienced birder reviews on this page and bought the Sibley and Peterson Bird field identification guide books in addition to this National Geographic guide book. Birders today have many more options for choosing a field guide than ever before, and mobile apps have changed the playing field even further. National Geographic Field Guide to the Birds of North America is very popular and accessible, but a bit large. While each of the following books takes that approximate format,  each takes a unique approach. The Sibley Guide to Birds, second edition, brings the genius of David Allen Sibley to the world once again in a thoroughly updated and expanded volume that every birder must own. The National Audubon Society protects birds and the places they need, today and tomorrow, throughout the Americas using science, advocacy, education, and on-the-ground conservation. Offres spéciales et liens associés. Audubon protects birds and the places they need, today and tomorrow. One warning: Sibley’s Eastern and Western field guides are both derived from the much larger Sibley’s Guide to the Birds. However, the most useful elements are the large background habitat photos, putting each species in a context that no other guide can match. Reinforce the shelving on your bookcase, make sure your iPhone is charged up, then get out and find some birds. Tell Congress to stop efforts to strip away critical protections in the Migratory Bird Treaty Act. The Peterson Guide to the Birds of Eastern and Central North America, or The Peterson Field Guide to Birds of Western North America. The significance of the in-your-face Northern Flickers is not lost on those familiar with R.T.P. Stokes Guide to Bird Behavior, Volume 2. It' s that well respected. When I took an ornithology class in 1985, the professor required the Peterson Field Guide. Hi all, I'm planning to get started on birding (well already started technically!) Features of iBird Pro Guide App: Interactive field guide for every species (924) … Compact and comprehensive, this guide features 650 bird species plus regional populations found east of the Rocky Mountains. The new Sibley Birds app has arrived with comprehensive, up to date information of over 930 North American species. [–]whatisacho 1 point2 points3 points 1 year ago (1 child). (3) BirdsEye is the only app that shows hotspots on a range map. View Peterson's Birds of North America for iOS (iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad) Sibley eGuide to the Birds of North America. Let us send you the latest in bird and conservation news. Bald Eagle. The Crossley ID Guide. The Sibley Guide to Trees: david-allen-sibley: Amazon.sg: Books. Score A book’s total score is based on multiple factors, including the number of people who have voted for it and how highly those voters ranked the book. The Sibley Guide to Birds 2nd edition is what a complete bird watching guide book should be. The color and style is more modern, the typeface cleaner, and the overall feel much smoother. Add to cart. Bird Subspecies names in the Sibley Guide to Birds. Peterson Birds for the iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad is the only app that guides you through identifying a bird, and gives you range maps, bird songs, sightings records, life … Verified Purchase. A curious young Cooper's Hawk giving me a proper staredown. The Sibley Guide to Birds has quickly become the new standard of excellence in bird identification guides, covering more than 810 North American birds in amazing detail. iBird Pro Birding App. © 2020 reddit inc. All rights reserved. Modern field guides are rooted in the paintings of John James Audubon and other early naturalists who worked to identify and record the breadth of American birdlife. Compact and comprehensive, this guide features 715 bird species, plus regional populations, found west of the Rocky Mountains. Common grackles are always pretty intense looking but this scene and light took it to another level! Sibley is my favorite field guide, but it sounds like you can wait for the new one. National Geographic Kids Bird Guide of North America. Ask ten birders to recommend a guide and nine of them will at least mention Sibley, if not list it outright as the best. Sibley Birds West & Sibley Birds East. Certainty in sight records. • If you "found" a bird, please either leave it alone or take your questions to /r/wildliferehab. . I think you’ll be fine! It actually offers far more content—ID tips, illustrations, photos, images, facts—than any other option. Features include: • A new easy to navigate menu system on iPhone. The Sibley Guide to Bird Life & Behavior. A field guide is a book designed to help the reader identify wildlife (plants or animals) or other objects of natural occurrence (e.g. In a blind at a Royal Society for Protection of Birds (RSPB) reserve at Rainham Marshes, Essex. So, three years later, two much more compact (and manageable) versions appeared: Field guide to the Birds of Eastern/Western North America. In What It’s Like to Be a Bird, David Sibley answers the most frequently asked questions about the birds we see most often. To me, it's worth it just for that. Here are a few of our recommendations for beginners, from Amazon: The Sibley Guide to Birds. I found Peterson Field Guide to Birds of North America to be nothing less than one would expect of one of the best bird illustrators of the twentieth century. DAVID ALLEN SIBLEY is the author and illustrator of the series of successful guides to nature that bear his name, including the" New York Times" best seller "The Sibley Guide … The standout here is iBird, the only one that didn’t start out as a paper guide. Sibley is another good bet, but unlike the book, there is no second edition of the app yet. In a photo of a bird, you are seeing one individual of that species, in … national geographic field guide to the birds of western north america Oct 03, 2020 Posted By Jeffrey Archer Publishing ... purchase instantly members save with free shipping peterson field guide to birds of western north america fourth edition peterson field guides vinyl bound illustrated march Click here to see it on Amazon! by Kevin Karlson and Dale Rosselet. Peterson passed away in 1996 but in 2008 a new edition to his guide was published to celebrate what would have been his 100th birthday. Sibley Backyard Birding Flashcards quantity. Sibley Birds West & Sibley Birds East. Also includes access to 3 hours of video podcasts. National Audubon Society Field Guide to the Night Sky National Audubon… 4.8 out of 5 stars 238. 4.0 out of 5 stars Nat'l Geographic vs Sibley and Peterson Bird guides. Best Classic - Peterson Field Guide to the Birds of North America - Roger Tory Peterson invented the modern field guide when his Guide to the Birds … Burrowing Owl--Cape Coral, Florida. The migration of bird guides to mobile apps has been a revelation for birders—what was once a hefty tome can now easily slip in a pocket. Bird Field Guides with Photos - Not Recommended If It's Your Only Guide. I n 1934 when Roger Tory Peterson published his first field guide, he set the standard for all the other field guides that have followed. Covers 810 species and features all of the drawings, range maps, and explanatory text found in the Sibley Guide to Birds. At that time I was a city kid who didn’t know there were more than 4 or 5 different kinds of birds. Each of these apps is basically a traditional field guide that fits in your pocket. Your support helps secure a future for birds at risk. ( 2) Sibley’s search engine uses broad categories including distinguishing features, all water birds, sparrow size, etc.