agmina et immeritas ferro decrescere gentes. Loeb. Perchance they are his words, which we deem to be the gods’; ‘tis he that gives this counsel! Within, glowing Mulciber had carved a thousand likenesses of the god: here wreathed Pleasure clings to his side, here Labour drooping to repose bears him company, here he shares a couch with Bacchus, there with Love, the child of Mars. Thebaid Liber viii. Was it thus I taught thee all the secrets of the sky and the wandering flight of birds? Even so a crowd of nestlings, seeing their mother returning through the air afar, would fain go to meet her, and lean gaping from the edge of the nest, and would even now be falling, did she not spread all her motherly bosom to save them, and chide them with loving wings. The First Nemean Games, Thebes Preparing for War The goddess of devotion to country, etc. 1-7 (Hardback): Language: English. This epic recounting the struggle between the two sons of Oedipus for the kingship of Thebes is his masterpiece, a stirring exploration … Like the political, the religious discourse traces a route of crisis and reconstruction. Nor did he pity the Pelasgian camp or the Tyrian forces, but it saddened him that so many warriors from outside 1 should perish and innocent peoples be diminished by the sword. Jocasta hath her sons, and sees them leaders and kings: but we must make cruel expiation for the war, that the brothers, sons of Oedipus, may exchange their diadems – doth this please thee, O author of the blow?27 But why complain I of men and gods? – to lose so favourable a night, degenerate one? 27, never, apparently, by other poets. [580] The crowd is filled with the strife of opposing tongues, and spreads discordant passions; some, with no muttered voice, but outspokenly and in open tumult, bid the brother restore the kingdom; in their distress all reverence for their prince is lost: “Let him come, and here make up the count of his bargained year, and salute – unhappy exile! viii. Book 10, Tydeus' son is abroad (Ahl (n. 12) 2867). Thebaid, Volume II Books 8-12. The poet is Statius and the hero Capaneus, whose aristeia and death take up much of the tenth book of the Thebaid. hostilem servare fugam, ne forte Mycenas, Book 1 The Thebaid opens with a priamel in which the poet rejects several themes dealing with Theban mythology and decides to focus on the House of Oedipus (Oedipodae confusa domus), and following this is a recusatio and a passage in praise of Domitian. For lo! Battle & Death of Capaneus, Deaths of Polynices & Eteocles This is the third and final book in the Statius volumes of the Loeb Classical Library. Before the eyes of Dymas it fell, who by chance was in front: he halted; but Aepytus, proud of soul, cared not to lose his throw, and transfixed the back of Hopleus, grazing thereby the shoulder of Tydeus as he hung. 4-1/4 x 6-3/8 inches. Ease, and Silence with folded wings sit mute in the forecourt and drive the blustering winds from the roof-top, and forbid the branches to sway, and take away their warblings from the birds. quas deus et casus tempestatesque gubernant. The watchword gives sentries their sign and turns of duty are settled. The Danaan is Perseus, son of Danaë. `Wilt thou allow the idle sons of Inachus,’ he cries, `– restore then those Parnassian wreaths, give me back my own gods! [176] Now had he reached the inner council-chamber and the revered home of the standards, where Adrastus, long distressed by the dire disasters, takes fruitless counsel for their desperate plight: the new-appointed chiefs stand about him, each the next successor to the slain, and gaze at the empty places of the mighty princes, feeling no joy but rather grief that they are raised so high. Necromancy of Tiresias . not clear to the sight, or “two-headed,” literally. contenti rediisse, petant: dat tessera signum In the eighth book of Statius' Thebaid the Argives meet to appoint a successor to the dead seer Amphiaraus (275 ff.). Category: (P) Professional & Vocational; (U) Tertiary Education (US: College). Add to Wishlist. BOOK 11. BOOK 11. [49] But far away a suppliant train of Pelopean dames, prostrate before their native altars and on the threshold of the Argolic fane, implore the help of sceptred Juno and the return of their loved ones, and press their faces to the cold stones and painted doors, and teach their little children to kneel. Rather come thou – what worthier antagonist? And now the hero’s left hand has been cut away, though Amphion bade them use no violence, and the boy is dragged along by his hair with face upturned. “ancipiti” here may mean “doubtful,” i.e. [718] So spake he, with his arms in close embrace about his son’s neck, but the youth, once vowed to the gods, was moved by neither tears nor words; nay, at their prompting he met his sire with secret fraud and turned his fears: “Good father, thou art mistaken, thy fears are vain. Theoi Project © Copyright 2000 - 2017 Aaron J. Atsma, New Zealand. [883] Meanwhile about Jove’s throne the Argive and the Tyrian deities were clamouring in diverse factions: the impartial sire beholds their wrath blaze high around him, and marks that he restrains it. He feels the flame hissing within him and his helmet and hair afire, and trying to push away the galling cuirass with his hand, touches the scorched steel beneath his breast. 14. It has been thought by many to stand second only to Virgil among Latin narrative poems." 20. Edited and translated by D. R. Shackleton Bailey. Possibly top of a stela. Will any come forward, ready to exalt themselves to mighty fame, while the Fates allow? of thine own will and pleasure slain, ay, even against the will of Fate, thou forcest an entrance to the gloomy shades. What gods are ye, who have turned again to Argos in her distress? The Thebaid Store The Online Store for The North American Thebaid book — a large-format book of fine-art photographs of Orthodox Christian Monastic Life — to be published by St. … [531] But the Tyrians – their only means of safety – crown the summit of the battlements, and hurl charred stakes and shining darts of steel against the foe, and stones torn from their own walls, and missiles that catch fire as they go through the void of air; a fierce deluge streams from the roof-tops, and the barred windows spew forth hissing javelins. Beneath his stepmother’s31 gaze Liber regards his sire askance, and makes lament: “Where now is that ruthless hand?” he cries, “where alas! Mute they go with long strides through the sad silences and grieve that the exhausted gloom is paling to the dawn. Ye too are consecrate, though my sons soar for a less lofty lyre, and will go down the unforgetful years. I shall try what sacrifice avails, and whether Apollo be false.” He speaks, and climbs with alternate step exultant against the captured wall: even as the vault beheld the Aloidae30 amid the clouds, when impious earth rose high and was like to look down upon the gods; not yet had mighty Pelion been added and Ossa already touched the affrighted Thunderer. [552] But now the trumpet’s clangour smites the city with dismay, and its harsh sound penetrates the barricaded doors. vii. So may thy temples be marked with the grey hairs of age, and thyself be a parent, and come, rash boy, to fear like me: lay not my home desolate. Bridal of the Adrastides [249] Beside the rest the seer takes with him Agylleus, son of Hercules, and Actor: persuasive of speech is Actor, the other boasts strength equal to his sire’s; with each go ten companions, a troop that even in open fight the Aonians would fear. quas deus et casus tempestatesque gubernant. x. hostilem servare fugam, ne forte Mycenas, contenti rediisse, petant: dat tessera signum, excubiis, positaeque vices; dux Martis operti, sorte Meges ultroque Lycus. “magnae data fata neci” seems hardly Latin, but I have kept the MS. Reading; “fama” merely repeats the idea of “Gloria praeceps”; “necis,” Klotz’s suggestion, may be right. The main narrative of the Thebaid … HARDCOVER. Their choice falls on Thiodamas son of Melampus (277–9); he, however, is … 27. 18. Its theme is the war between Eteocles and Polynices, sons of Oedipus, for the throne of Thebes. Thus upon Pholoë’s height a rearer of swift coursers rejoices when the breeding-time of prolific spring has renewed his stud, and he beholds some straining up steep mountain-paths, some swimming the stream, others vying with their sires; then in idle thought he ponders which he shall tame to bear a gentle yoke, which will make good riders, which are born for trumpets and arms, which best fitted to win the palm of Elis: such was the aged chieftain of the Achaean host. Their choice falls on Thiodamas son of Melampus (277–9); he, however, is overwhelmed by the prospect, which he regards with a mixture of joy and apprehension (281–5). [405] Dymas had turned and seen, and knew that battle was joined, and doubted whether to use arms or prayers against the oncoming foe: wrath urges arms, fortune bids him try prayer not daring; neither resource brings confidence. But restore to the Tyrians by my death their temples, fields and homes, children and wives; if I, your chosen victim, have pleased you, if I heard the prophet’s oracle with no panic-stricken ear, and took it to my heart ere ever Thebes believed it, reward Amphion’s town in my stead, and reconcile, I pray, the sire whom I deceived.” So he speaks, and with his glittering blade tears at the noble soul that long has disdained its body and grieved to be held fast, and probes for the life and rends it with one wound. None of the Danaans could have made a deeper thurst.”. should perish and innocent peoples be diminished by the sword. – his Cadmean home and his father’s blindness; why should my blood atone the fraud and the royal miscreant’s traitorous crime?” Then others: “Too late is good faith now, he would rather conquer.” Others in tearful suppliant throng implore Tiresias, and ask – the only solace in adversity – to learn the future. That were too dearly bought, nor would he himself wish for the pyre at such a cost.” So speaking, he tore a mighty gash in his breast, and casting him down upon the lad with his last breath murmured: “Yet receive meanwhile this burial with me!” Thus in the longed-for embraces of their chiefs do both the noble-minded pair, Aetolian alike and famed Arcadian, breathe out their peerless souls and taste of death. BOOK 12. What design hast thou, that is weightier than war? Therefore with spirited words the prophet rouses the hearts of the downcast Achaeans: “Chieftains, it is the high commands and awful counsels of the gods that I bring you; these words come not from my own breast; he gives the oracle, whom your solemn word, he too consenting, constrained me to serve and to assume his fillets. Each side is alike distressed, but Thebes has solace in the four Danaan bands wandering without a chief: like alder vessels on the billowy deep that are widowed of their helmsmen and steered by God and Chance and all the storms. Semele’s ashes and her tomb are in my power! . Antigone & Argia Theseus & Burial of the Dead. No roar of the sea is here, though all the shores be sounding, nor yet of the sky; the very torrent that runs down the deep valley nigh the cave is silent among the rocks and boulders; by its side are sable herds, and sheep reclining one and all upon the ground; the fresh buds wither, and a breath from the earth makes the grasses sink and fail. 33. once again the birds of night are auspicious; I follow them, and though my comrades’ troops lie idle, I go alone! Everyday low prices and free delivery on … On, men, with me to open conflict! ISBN-10: 0674012097 ISBN-13: 9780674012097 Pub. Brand new Book. Lo! ISBN 978-0-674-01208-0. Buy Thebaid: Bk. Buy Thebaid: A Song of Thebes: The Song of Thebes (Masters of Latin Literature) by Publius Papinius Statius (2008-10-23) by (ISBN: ) from Amazon's Book Store. Agylleus borrows the arms of truculent Nomius; for what would the bow and shafts of Hercules have availed him, battling amid deceiving shades? Buy New $28.00. In the closing book, the poem attempts to re–establish imperial values; the broken structure makes pessimism and exemplarity coexist. Death of Opheltes, Funeral of Opheltes also Theb. [449] But fierce Amphion sends in triumph heralds to report his doings to the king, and inform him of the crafty attack, and deliver back the captured bodies; he himself proceeds to insult the beleaguered Pelasgians, and to display their comrades’ severed heads. Therefore the Tyrians are emboldened to keep watch no more on their own camp, but rather on their foes’ retreat, lest haply they seek to return with all speed to Mycenae; the watchword gives the signal to the sentinels, and posts are set; Meges by lot, and Lycus at his request are leaders of the night’s enterprise. 1. [262] Then, lest the brazen hinges groan too loudly, they leap down from the steep battlements of the fortress wall; nor is it long before lo! atthe! a sudden frenzy, heaven-inspired, seizes Thiodamas, and in awful tumult bids him show forth the fates, whether Saturnia11 fired him with this resolve, or kindly Apollo incited his new attendant. Dimension: 168 x 122 x 34. Rumour repeats the counsel, the folk of Cadmus, certain of thee, rejoice; take the gods’ word to heart, and snatch a glorious fate. Thebaid, Volume II: Books 8-12. “Forward, friends, withersoe’er delight in carnage unsated takes you, and have strength for the work I pray, since heaven shows us favour!” Now with loud voice the seer exhorts them, “See ye the cohorts lying in base torpor? Any of lesser name I am ashamed to challenge. The Tradition Of Jocasta’s Suicide In Greek And Roman Drama And In Statius’ Thebaid" published on 01 Jan 2008 by Brill. This means the lighting of our comrade’s pyres, this means their burial. Index. The day was already spent in entreaties: night comes and adds its cares, and the altars keep vigil with high-piled fires. he meets his fate, and mirthfully his life passes to the shades, saving the pains of cruel death. Thebaid LIBER I. Fraternas acies ... quo carmine muris 10 iusserit Amphion Tyriis accedere montes, unde graves irae cognata in moenia Baccho, quod saevae Iunonis opus, cui sumpserit arcus infelix Athamas, ... Book 1 Book … Thebaid 12 is a problematic ending to a disturbing poem. Accipit ille preces indignaturque moveri. When suddenly the prophet fell into the pallid shades, shattering the homes of death and the secrets of the buried king 1 and throwing the ghosts into confusion with his armed corpse, all were … Current price is , Original price is $28.0. He stands nevertheless, and turning towards heaven pants out his life and leans his smoking breast on the hated battlements, lest he should fall; but his earthly frame deserts the hero, and his spirit is released; yet had his limbs been consumed a whit more slowly, he might have expected a second thunderbolt. He himself, since he goes to unwonted battle and ruse of war, lays down the sacred leaves, the emblems of Phoebus, and entrusts the glory of his brow to the bosom of the aged prince, and dons helm and corslet, the welcome gift of Polynides. [738] Meanwhile impetuous Capaneus drives o’er the battle-plain the troops that issue from the breached gates, now squadrons of horse, now regiments of foot, now chariots that trample the corpses of their own charioteers; he it is that rends high towers with stones and many a whizzing dart, he it is that routs the cohorts and reeks in gore. 31. 5. Nor did he pity the Pelasgian camp or the Tyrian forces, but it saddened him that so many warriors from outside 12. Deaths of Polynices & Eteocles Creon & Exile of Oedipus. $28.00 • £19.95 • €25.00 ISBN 9780674012097. The epic genre gives a doubled representation of power, divine and human. book 10. book 11. book 12. From them I may renew my torch, and awaken my smouldering oaken brand.” Even as he spoke, the thunderbolt struck him, hurled with the whole might of Jove: his crest first vanished into the clouds, the blackened shield-boss dripped, and all the hero’s limbs are now illumined. Book 10 Book 10. Fear points the truth, nor suffers doubt: he is benumbed by anguish, and any icy dread assails the father’s heart; even so does the Trinacrian21 coast sustain the sea hurled back from the Libyan surge. This is duty, this is true honour; there lies but empty glory and wind-blown renown and a name that will be lost in death. – nay, they eagerly ply their engines and impel great rocks against him. 15. their prey lies vast upon the ground, as though already lifeless and slain by many a sword. He with his own nodding visage9 nods assent to the goddess’ command; o’erweighted with the caverns’ gloom Iris goes forth, and tricks out her beams, made dim by showers of rain. Pre-Order the Thebaid Book at our new Online Store One of several prototype cover designs you can see at the Thebaid Store. Fierce Capaneus fastens his heavy sword on Actor, not deigning himself to go by stealth against the foe, or to follow where heaven leads. You will recognize Thebaid's pattern as their squires ‘rummage, locate, (fail to) retrieve’ Tydeus' and Parthenopaeus' corpses (scrutari campum, 359, quaeritur, 370). Battle & Death of Tydeus, Battle & Death of Hippomedon – ‘tis he we search for.” The goddess stooped her horns and made bright her kindly star, and illumined the battle-field with near-approaching chariot. But now my belief is sure. quattuor errantes Danaum sine praeside turmae: ceu mare per tumidum viduae moderantibus alni. The light about the chamber is weak and fitful, and languid gleams that woo to earliest slumbers vanish as the lamps flicker and die. Statius' Thebaid. – rose up again from the chasm of earth, even as he was – the shades had touched his team alone – and came towards me: ‘tis of no vain phantom of night, or vision of sleep that I tell. imperiis properata Iovis, nec castra Pelasgum As when the tempests sit motionless in the clouds over Malea or tall Ceraunia’s mount and are ranged about he darkened hills, then suddenly swoop upon the sails beneath: so is the Argive host overwhelmed by the Agenorian arms; yet the relentless rain turns aside neither face nor breast, the warriors keep their gaze steady upon the walls, forgetful of death and seeing nought but their own weapons. 22. Books Best Sellers New Releases Children's Books Textbooks Australian Authors Kindle Books Audiobooks Books Education Studies & Teaching The threshold is guarded by shady Quiet and dull Forgetfulness and torpid Sloth with every drowsy countenance. Achilleid. As for the other material in the book - the introduction is decent, and shows the translator's background in comparative literature; aside from descriptions of Statius' life and times, most of it is devoted to comparing the Thebaid … Calpetus, lying on the cold ground beneath his trusty chariot-wheels, scared with his heavy breathing his Aonian steeds as they cropped their native grass: his mouth o’erflows with liquor, and his slumber wine-inflamed grows agitated; lo! [827] So far of arms and trumpets, of swords and wounds I tell; but now Capaneus must be raised high to do battle with the star-bearing vault. But when they saw their naked swords and arms all red with recent carnage, a fresh shout leaps upward to the broad sky, and eager throngs hang from the rampart’s top, while each one looks for his own. Statius: Thebaid, Volume I: Books 1-7 (Loeb Classical Library) (Volume 2) (English and Latin Edition) (Latin) Hardcover – February 17, 2004 by Statius (Author), D. R. Shackleton Bailey … From THE SAINT BOOKSTORE (Southport, United Kingdom) AbeBooks Seller Since 14 June 2006 Seller Rating. Part of the problem is the unsatisfactory nature of the final book. Inconsistent with l. 204, but he supposes that the seer’s body has been burnt, and that therefore his shade will be charred black, cf. Night-time Foray Sacrifice of Menoeceus Battle & Death of Capaneus. Antigone & Argia Theseus & Burial of the Dead. Rude is thy guerdon now, maimed limbs and human blood, but if ever, O Paean, thou wilt bestow on me my native home and the temples that I long for, O Lycian god, forget not my vow, but demand as many sumptuous gifts and as many bulls for thy sacred portals.” He spoke, and recalled his comrades from the glad work of arms. And now universal silence reigns: even the horn-footed steeds refuse to stand, even the fires are quenched in sudden ashes. Even so at Amphitryon’s son did his Lydian mistress24 laugh, when putting off the bristling hide he marred the Sidonian raiment with his vast shoulders, and wrought confusion in the distaff and smashed the timbrels with his hand. Book 8 Book 8. Night-time Foray Sacrifice of Menoeceus Battle & Death of Capaneus. aut Tyrias miseratus opes, sed triste tot extra Thebaid, Volume II: Thebaid: Books 8-12. illic arma et equos, ibant quibus ante superbi, The Thebaid has been thought by many to stand second only to Virgil among Latin narrative poems. Our reward is in our hands, gone are the proud leaders of the host, and the chieftains’ crests displayed along the sevenfold array; formidable indeed is Adrastus’ dotage, and my brother’s more cowardly manhood, and Capaneus’ frenzied arms! 11. 399-435 and 436-41). “Was this then lacking,” he cried, “to crown our woes, that I should dishonour and betray Argos in her hour of need? i.e., the standard, emblem of each one’s fate, whether sad or glorious. Online version at Harvard University Press. Thebaid's night-attack in Book 10 is to recover Tydeus' corpse. From lofty heaven she sees the city-gates closed and the rampart guarded by sleepless sentinels; the stings of anger thrilled her frame, and stirred her hair and shook the awful diadem: no more fiercely did she rage, when alone in heaven she felt wrath against Alcmene for her offspring and for the Thunderer’s twofold4 adultery. Everyday low prices and free delivery on eligible orders. Then thus began to speak the golden fashioner of clouds8: “Sleep, gentlest of the gods, Juno bids thee bind fast the Sidonian leaders and the folk of ruthless Cadmus, who now, puffed up by the issue of the fight, are watching in ceaseless vigil the Achaean rampart, and refuse thy sway. Thebaid!1.1345!!! 207, Cambridge, Massachusetts, Harvard University Press, 2004. [628] Come, now, tell who fired the youth with joy in a noble death – for never without haven’s aid is this mind given to men – begin thou, unforgetting Clio, for the ages are in thy keeping, and all the storied annals of the past.