Early December Dec 5–24 ... November 10, 2020 August 30, 2019 by James Ian. The other activities are not as dependent on the year’s weather, fortunately. If you liked this post, please share the love and Pin it to your Hudson Valley and Fall/ Autumn Boards for later! If you are planning to visit New York City, read about some New York experiences: With the holidays just around the corner, check out my NYC Experiences Gift Guide. The Catskill Mountains form the backdrop and the reservoir is the foreground, but it is the brightly colored fall foliage that lines the water that is the star attraction. An exhaustive, searchable community, arts & entertainment events calendar for the Mid-Hudson Valley. We have reviews of the best places to see in Hudson. Worth a read if you are interested in history. A shared helicopter ride. For a completely different view of the spectacular fall color in the Hudson Valley, treat yourself to a helicopter tour! Many of the farms listed in the Corn Maze section below also have apple picking. A Christmas Carol Drive-In Performance Hudson Valley Plein Air Festival. On the weekend, there is also a brunch buffet 11:30am-2:00pm for $81 per adult. Nov 27–Jan 3 Ticket are $25 apiece ($10 for non-drinkers) and give guests access to … The Great Jack o’Lantern Blaze is held at Van Cortland Manor, an historic home in Croton-on-Hudson not too far north of New York City. Ever. Cross County Center, Yonkers; 914.968.9570; www.crosscountycenter.com, Capitol Holiday Lights in the Park Do you often think to yourself, “What is there to do in the Hudson Valley this weekend?” I’m here to tell you that Hudson Valley Winter Events are many that it can be sometimes are to find. Facebook Pinterest Email. If you make a purchase through these links, I earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. It is roughly divided into southern (about an hour north of NYC), central (about 2 hours north of NYC) and northern (about 3 hours north of NYC). Find your guide in the morning at Pier 78 just adjacent to th Top Things to Do in Hudson River Valley, New York: See Tripadvisor's 54,618 traveller reviews and photos of Hudson River Valley tourist attractions. Nov 27–29, Dec 5–6 Hudson Hall, Hudson; 518.822.1438; www.hudsonhall.org. Dutchess County Fair. Please accept cookies for optimal performance. Day access to the hiking trails only is $27 per person on the weekends. Park on the grand lawn, tune the radio to station 100.5, and watch the performance on the raised outdoor stage. Rhinebeck; www.sinterklaashudsonvalley.com, A post shared by Hudson Hall (@hudsonhallny), Winter Walk There are plenty of similar places in the Hudson Valley to enjoy the fall foliage, and plenty of other things to do to enjoy autumn. Visit top-rated & must-see attractions. Dinners with Santa, discounted tickets to The Museum at Bethel Woods, and special promotional nights will be also available. At the end of this short path are dramatic views over the Shawangunk Mountains below, completely covered in trees all drenched in the reds, oranges and yellows of fall. Four of my favorite places for leaf peeping are: Minnewaska State Park  includes more than 23,000 acres of forest. The currency in the United States is the U.S. Dollar (USD). We have reviews of the best places to see in Hudson River Valley. Friday, Nov 27 th, 2020 - 10:00 am- 5:00 pm - Hudson Valley Art Market at Locust Grove Read more about Hudson Valley Art Market at Locust Grove. and submit their time virtually to be considered for awards. Updated Oct 06, 2020; Posted Oct 06, 2020 . Includes all events from Almanac Weekly's calendar and web-only entries. But it is fun to visit Sleepy Hollow in the southern end of the Hudson Valley and see where it was set. You really feel transported back to another era here. Overlooking the Hudson River from high on a bluff, Locust Grove is a 200-acre … This is just not the same as going into a field and seeing the vines withered. As a treat – it’s worth it – you can choose to eat there, and get access to the grounds and house as well. 48 Hudson Ave, Albany December 4, 4-7 p.m. and December 5, 12-2 p.m. Minnewaska State Park - Recharge your mind, body and soul by spending time with Mother Nature. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Sunday, Nov 29 th, 2020 Beacon Farmers Market - 9:00 am; Sunday, Nov 29 th, 2020 49th Annual Craft Fair at Dutchess Community College - 10:00 am; Sunday, Nov 29 th, 2020 Rhinebeck Farmers Market - … Planning and Packing for the Hudson Valley, check out more details and availability here, rent one easily for the day or weekend here, buy the Moon guide to the Hudson Valley here, 20 of The Most Common Travel Scams to Avoid. Kensico Dam Plaza, Valhalla; 914.231.4600; www.wwinterwonderland.com, A post shared by Bethel Woods Center (@bethelwoodscenter), Bethel Woods Annual Holiday Market Enjoy views of the stunning fall color from the porch and then enjoy a fire at night. Read my Disclaimer for more information. Communications Coordinator, Local Business. Hudson; 518.822.1438; www.hudsonhall.org, Caramoor Virtual Music Concert Nearby, bright red trees form a stunning foreground. Many sell bottles of cider and warm apple cider donuts – a personal favorite! An entire cottage nestled in nature. Over the course of two weekends, this free holiday market will feature goods from a variety of regional vendors to provide an enjoyable shopping You can do a day trip in the Hudson valley from New York City, but having a weekend getaway will give you more time, so you won’t feel so rushed and will be able to unwind more. So, wondering what to do in the Hudson Valley this fall or what is there to do in upstate New York in October? Top Fun Things to Do in Hudson Valley - 2020 | Airbnb® Skip to content Tune into BardavonPresents’ YouTube channel to participate in this free virtual sing along of Handel’s Messiah. Peering over the edge, I see a carpet of red, orange and yellow trees stretched out to the horizon. As an Australian, this was not a thing when I was growing up. TBH, when I read Sleep Hollow recently, I was underwhelmed and not at all scared. Pin It and save it for later: Please note that some of the links below may be affiliate links. The Hudson Valley is the name for the area either side of the Hudson River between Albany and New York City. This is an easy introduction to the history of the Hudson Valley, based on stories of things that happened and people who lived along the Albany Post Road, the main road between New York City and the state capital in Albany in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. meaningful travel that actively engages with the environment and culture. Visitors are allowed to get out of their cars and walk through the 3D wonders of Frosty’s Magical Adventure. Facebook. Nov 19–Dec 20 Albany, NY. Bardavon, Poughkeepsie; 845.473.2072; www.bardavon.org, Virtual St. Peter’s Cardiac & Vascular Center’s 2020 Albany Last Run 5K Our favorite pumpkin patch is Jenkins Leuken Orchards . The few that were available were about $50 each! From there, you catch a connecting Bee-Line Bus (routes 10,11, 14), take a local taxi, or walk (not a very nice walk along a major road, but possible – I have done it). Stop of at the Rail Trail Cafe for a wood-fire pizza and drink along the way. It is also on the edge of a small lake ad there is an easy walk up the opposite hill to a fire tower and dramatic views over the surrounding area. Fri–Sun only; reservations are required. I love going to a farm, grabbing an empty bag and a long pole with a cup on the end and heading into an apple orchard. Mohonk Preserve has multiple trails and costs $15 for day hikers. Stay tuned to Hudson Hall’s Facebook for more information about the upcoming performance lineup. 30- and 45-minute tours available. Things to do Things to do in the Hudson Valley The Hudson Valley is a cradle of possibilities, offering award-winning restaurants where famed chefs hold court, a craft beverage scene that rivals anywhere else on earth, and a family-friendly vibe that welcomes all … Over the course of a one-mile drive-through holiday light experience, encounter the 120-foot Twinkle Tunnel, Groovy Way, Santa’s Workshop, and more. Click here for resident & visitor information. Weekends beginning August 1 Kaatsbaan Cultural Park, Tivoli. They planted new trees a few years ago, and now have a lot of different varieties. Size of corn maze: a little over an acre. 35- and 45-minute flights are available. Nov 27–Jan 3 There are a ton of things to do in the Hudson Valley each month. In the gilded age, the rich families of New York built enormous mansions on the east side of the Hudson River. I love doing active things when I travel and visiting New England for the cranberry bogs (a great experience), but I recommend visiting the Hudson Valley for all other things fall/ autumn. It’s a converted milk barn. Videos. Hudson Valley fall foliage is some of the best in the country. This carnival-like annual event has been transformed into a drive-through experience featuring displays like Peace on Earth Place, featuring floating stained-glass angels, Take Flight Way, with a 50-foot white dove flying into the night, and Magical Woods, surrounded by dozens of illuminated dancing trees. Find what to do today, this weekend, or in December. Visitors are allowed to get out of their cars and walk through the 3D wonders of Frosty’s Magical Adventure. Find activities to book and tips and recommendations from the locals who know Hudson Valley best. You stroll along a path from one scene to another, with synchronized lighting and soundtrack to add to the effect. Peering over the edge, I see a carpet of red, orange and yellow trees stretched out to the horizon. Check prices and availability here. As patrons dine on this decadent meal, they get to listen in to a live radio play of It’s A Wonderful Life. Find the best local events in Ulster, Dutchess, Columbia & Greene counties. I’d love to hear about them. Stone Ridge Orchard is at 3012 Route 213. If you just want to see the valley, one of the most beautiful train journeys in the world runs daily between New York City and Albany, right alongside the Hudson River. Entrance is $10 per person. Location: 209 Perkinsville Road, Highland. If you don’t have a car, you can take the Metro North from Grand Central Terminal in New York City on the Hudson line to Croton-Harmon station. Learn how your comment data is processed. It’s not cheap, but there are multiple stations of food spread throughout the restaurant, and it’s a wonderful treat. Roe Park, Highland Falls. If you don’t have a car, you can rent one easily for the day or weekend here. A private tour (4-5 people). Find what to do today, this weekend, or in December. Check prices and availability here. I use cookies to analyze my traffic, which helps ensure that I give you the best experience on my website. James Ian has traveled to 82 countries and all 7 continents. Cost: $6 or as part of a $12 activity package. Head to Hudson to enjoy brightly lit and decorated shops and homes, shop at local favorites for the holidays, and check out Santa's Village in the 7th Street Park - all while maintaining safe physical distances. The fee for parking at Minnewaska is $10 per car. There are plenty of farms that have u-pick apples. A few options are: This is at 69 Yankee Folly Rd (Route 299 & Yankee Folly Road) in New Paltz, NY. You can find a list of farms throughout the Hudson Valley here but here are a few suggestions: Dr. Davies Farm: Open for apple picking beginning Sept. 7 … This is the place to pick up different varieties of squash, garlic, sweet potatoes, and more. Visit top-rated & must-see attractions. Nice location. I hope this blog is useful resource for you when planning your fall travel to the Hudson Valley, but if you want a guidebook as well, to supplement this, buy the Moon guide to the Hudson Valley here. Here’s What to Do in the Hudson Valley This Week, 9 Perfectly Giftable Books From Hudson Valley Authors, Score Big With These Local Black Friday and Cyber Monday Deals. To reignite the spirit of arts and culture in the Hudson Valley, Kaatsbaan Cultural Park hosts its first-ever summer festival of art and dance. Nov 28–Dec 20 In the small town of Rosendale, it goes over the 940-foot/ 286-meter long Rosendale Trestle bridge, 150 feet/ 45 meters above the Rondout Creek, which dates from 1872 and was recently restored. Rip Van Winkle, a classic story of a man in the Catskill Mountains who fell asleep for twenty years, was supposedly inspired by the views of the Catskills from Poet’s Walk, so why not read the book, visit Poets’ Walk and then drive up into the Catskills yourself? Most have guided house tours, but you can just visit the grounds and go for scenic walks. The Hudson Valley in upstate New York is absolutely one of the best places to be in fall. Updated: 8/22/2020. November 29, 2020 Calendar of free events, paid events, and things to do in Mid Hudson Valley, NY You can do these things as day trip in the Hudson valley from New York City, or have a weekend getaway so you won’t feel so rushed. This popular event is a drive-through experience this year, with stops in Frosty’s Enchanted Forest, Glistening Gardens, and Candy Cane Lane. It goes from late September to late November. It also makes an incredibly beautiful setting for fall color. The Center for Performing Arts at Rhinebeck, Rhinebeck; 845.876.3080; www.centerforperformingarts.org, Photo courtesy of Bethel Woods Center for the Arts, Peace, Love & Lights at Bethel Woods Agritourism is alive and well in the Hudson Valley, and one of the best things to do in the Hudson Valley is to visit one of the many farms that open up for the fall. Wallkill River School of Art, Wallkill October 13-18 In-person Participating artists in this annual festival are chosen by a jury of respected plein-air painters and are required to produce three original paintings in plein air during the week-long competition held at scenic locations throughout the Hudson Valley. Fri–Sun only; reservations are required. Rosendale Public Library - Widely known among those who live here, this site is worth exploring. Albany; 518.434.5090; www.albany.com, *Rescheduled: Hudson Jazz Festival For the lake, drive further uphill and park as close to the end as possible, so that you don’t have to hike along the road to get to the trails. Hudson Valley Attractions There’s no place like home in the Hudson Valley, where you can visit grand historic mansions up and down the river. No shows Nov 26 and 27. Kevin and I always get one each, plus a little one for Cleo our cat. And my Trip Planner to help you plan each stage of your trip. Near the house, but separate is a private preserve. Over the course of a one-mile drive-through holiday light experience, encounter the 120-foot Twinkle Tunnel, Groovy Way, Santa’s Workshop, and more. Find what to do today, this weekend, or in November. Most of the mansions are separated from the river by the railway line, but here, the line goes slightly inland, so you can actually walk all the way down to the edge of the Hudson  River. Apr 23, 2020 - Things to do around the Hudson Valley Area. When Kevin and I moved to Sydney, Kevin was terribly homesick and desperate to buy a pumpkin for carving. Check prices and availability here. ... 9:00 am Mid Hudson Valley, NY. Vanderbilt Mansion National Historic Site. Travel on two wheels and enjoy the fresh air when you go on a small-group bike tour of the West Side of Manhattan. Historic Hudson Valley 639 Bedford Road, Pocantico Hills, NY 10591 Tel 914.366.6900 People often ask me if winter is a good time to do things in the Hudson Valley and I excitedly say, “Yes, it is!” Also This Month… Virtual St. Peter’s Cardiac & Vascular Center’s 2020 Albany Last Run 5K Dec 8–14 On the first weekend in October, the Walkway Over the Hudson State Historic Park partners with the Hudson Valley Rail Trail to host a Walktoberfest Essential Farmers Market. Winter Walk 2020 kicks off on Saturday, December 5 with fireworks at 8pm and continues for twenty days, until December 24. Set on a violet farm in the Hudson Valley in the late 1800’s, this saga about a mother and daughter is a real page turner. Highland Falls - July 3, 5-6pm & July 4, 8am-9pm Canceled for 2020 Family-friendly fun all weekend includes games, races, music, parade and fireworks. Top ten things to do in the Hudson Valley in the Fall, Practical Tips: Great Jack o’Lantern Blaze, Getting to the Great Jack o’Lantern Blaze, 9. Our top priority is the safety, health, and wellbeing of our community, its residents and visitors. Twitter Tweets by @dutchesstourism. As you walk anti-clockwise around the lake, soon after you pass the far end and start to walk up the slight hill, there is a tiny path off to the right. Interested Reply . He helps people have similar experiences that involve active participation in activities and festivals; engaging with the local food and handicrafts through lessons and food tours; and interacting positively with environment by hiking, riding, rowing, diving and low/no impact animal encounters. The drive-through experience includes holiday scenes of yesteryear and new lighting displays. Now that you’ve arrived, you can stay in the safety and comfort of your hotel and watch the world spin past…or you can embrace this new place you’ve come to. The week leading up to Sinterklaas Day (Dec 5), children can pick up a free sweet surprise from Samuel’s Sweet Shop, and, on Sinterklaas Day, the community can watch a 10-minute shadow puppet movie and a recorded blessing of the honorary animal on the Sinterklaas Facebook page. Antiquing at the fall Rhinebeck Antiques Show, 10. Top Things to Do in Hudson, New York: See Tripadvisor's 1,202 traveller reviews and photos of Hudson tourist attractions. Welcome, traveler, to Hudson Valley. Book far in advance for the full experience. Share. Note that this is unpredictable and varies slightly each year, so there are no guarantees about fall color. Dec 12 There is a small parking area at the Ashokan Promenade and from there you can walk along a path on the top of the dam. Free Things to Do in Hudson Valley . Contact Us: 800-445-3131. Shops on Warren Street will be festively decorated as always. Most pumpkins that you buy have really hard skins and are not good for carving. Although the annual festival is canceled this year, the folks behind Sinterklaas have ways to honor this tradition: Annual stars are for sale on their website and in stores in Rhinebeck, which will help keep Sinterklaas alive for future years. Bethel Woods Center for the Arts, Bethel; 845.583.2000; www.bethelwoodscenter.org, Frosty Fest I buy something every time I go! It sells out, so I recommend buying tickets far in advance. Whether you are looking to buy the perfect gift for a loved one or buy something special for yourself, shopping at Hudson Valley Malls or small shops in the region is the way to go! This is such a great fall tradition. You really need a car to get around the Hudson Valley. There is a Visitor Center which is open 9:00am-5:00pm daily and you can pick up trail maps there. Plus, both breakfast and brunch options include access to the Mountain House all day, hiking trails, the House History Tour (11:15am daily), Afternoon Tea & Cookies (4:00pm daily), Greenhouse and Victorian Gardens, and Evening Entertainment (9:00pm daily). It is 22-mile path through the woods and countryside along a former railway. Coming from New Paltz, the farm stand is in the left and then just down the hill, the actual farm and u-pick is on the right. There are several small antiques shops scattered around the Hudson Valley, but for concentrated antiquing, it is hard to beat the semi-annual  Rhinebeck Antiques Fair  It’s held at the Rhinebeck Fairgrounds on Saturday and Sunday of the Columbus Day/ Indigenous People’s Day weekend. This is a self-contained unique place to stay. Your journey has landed you here, and new adventures are calling your name. In addition to u-pick apples and pumpkins, many have corn mazes. Check my guide on Choosing the Best Hotel for tips on what to look for. Kind of in the vein of Nick Hornsby, so if you like his books, chances are you will love this one. Nov 23–Jan 3 This is self-catering, which means you can cook the food you buy! So, we go up at 4:30am and drove to the Sydney Fruit and Veg Market, where there was one lonely box of thin-skinned orange pumpkins designed for carving. Previously scheduled for five weekends in November and December, the festival has been moved to spring 2021. There are so many fall Hudson Valley attractions and Hudson Valley activities that are perfect for families or couples that is hard to limit them to just ten. Any of the hikes you can do in the Hudson Valley (and there are many) are spectacular in the fall. From things to do & … There are two great options (possibly more, but I have been to both of these places and love them): Twin Star Orchards have free hard cider tastings from Brooklyn Cider House and  artisanal wood-fired pizza in their pavilion. Buy the ingredients for fall cooking. There are more than 7,000 Jack o’Lanterns carved and arranged in vignettes. Show More. Also, check out my Essential Packing List for packing ideas before you travel. Check price and availability here. The following won't even cost a cent. Caramoor has partnered with TENET Vocal Artists to present a virtual concert through livestream. Things to do in Upstate NY this weekend - October 2020. Dec 8–14 For those interested in architecture, you cannot pass up a … Top to stay are: The room are rustic (which I like) and there are great views over the fall color. Welcome to Travel Collecting.  I’m James  Ian.  I’ve spent my life traveling – 82 countries and 7 continents so far.   I focus on doing activities and having experiences that give me meaningful and active interaction with the local culture, people and environment when I travel, and I can help you do the same.