embroidery thread that is a bit heavier than a 40 wt., but it isn’t as common. But Moore steps to a neutral corner, pointing out the difficulty in relying too heavily on one’s personal preference: “Discussing thread-type preferences in the embroidery industry can be more difficult than a heated discussion of religion or politics. I know this is of course only possible because I am a hobbyist so quality goes before quantity. Medcraft concludes: “I prefer rayon simply because it runs better on my machines. Though the price per spools looks great, we often find embroiderers hating polyester embroidery thread because, not knowingly, they were using a polyester embroidery thread knock-off. Since ninety percent of what we do requires durability to include casual washing practices, I lean towards polyester.”Ah, there’s the rub. It has a natural shine that I have yet to see any polyester match. It is also great if you want to hind your stitches when stitching in the ditch. There’s nothing I love more than the texture of quilting. It is a good choice for most machine and hand sewing projects. Threads produced using rayon, cotton, polyester, silk, and so forth are utilized for embroidery. Where cost is a factor, polyester is the less expensive thread. Not once did it break and I also ironed over the top with the iron set on cotton to smooth down slightly afterwards, nothing melted or was effected. A benefit of polyester thread is that it resists fading, bleaching and ironing which makes it a workhorse for clothing … ; Embroidery floss or stranded cotton is a loosely twisted, slightly glossy 6-strand thread, usually of cotton but also manufactured in silk, linen, and rayon. Industrial embroidery threads. Browse our collection of educational articles. But, ask any embroidery machine and she will say “I prefer polyester embroidery thread”. Polyester embroidery thread boasts that their embroidery thread runs smoothly without thread breaks at high embroidery speeds, will not fade when laundered and is very economical in price. AllStitch Embroidery Supplies3031 James St, Baltimore MD 21230410-646-0382. Embroidery Hoops for Single Needle Home Machines, Embroidery Hoops For Multi-Needle Machines. For best results, we suggest digitizing to an average 8.0 density and using a … So for cotton fabric I use the rayon threads. Rayon is the original embroidery thread of choice. Less abrasive than polyester thread, it is gentle to embroidery equipment. The Rayon embroidery thread boasts of luscious looking embroidery designs, designs that are soft to wear and can be laundered in water up to 203 degrees. 10 Tips to Successfully Sew on Lycra or Spandex Fabric, How to Embroider a T-Shirt – 6 Simple Steps, Top 10 Reasons to Buy a SINGER Heavy Duty 4452 Sewing Machine, Trilobal polyester has a sheen equal to rayon. Dtex X 2 refers to two-ply thread. Polyester vs. Rayon: What's The Best Embroidery Thread To Use? Both have amazing embroidered results, both have a hundreds of colors and both work well on numerous embroidered fabric types. In summarizing not only his own approach to the professional decision of which thread to stock up on, but also recommending the most logical one for the industry, Moore concludes: “The percentage of times that I reach for polyester has less to do with my personal preference than it does with the project at hand. There are two embroidery thread camps – the Rayon Embroidery Thread VS Polyester Embroidery Thread. not only to the skin, but to the working parts of your embroidery machine. Maintains its soft hand when the stitch count is high, keeping a balance between embroidery and fabric. Alice Wolf is the marketing communications manager for Madeira USA. Rayon also gives a nicer hand to the embroidered garment, where I think poly feels heavier and stiffer. Embroidery machines WANT to run without thread breaks. “I think that the tie-offs behind the embroidered garment can actually be irritating to the skin when poly thread is used.” Considered the most flexible of embroidery threads due to its softness and pliability, rayon can be stitched out in any direction and will lie flat and not cause any thread looping. But when it comes to embroidery, most experienced embroiderers are more than happy to let you know which camp they are in; polyester or viscose rayon. If it can’t keep up with our sewing and embroidery machines, we kick the entire brand to the curb and search for something new! Required fields are marked *. However, I chuckle that forty-three of our forty-five design awards have been created in polyester and often noted for their vibrant color blends! Selecting a quality brand of thread and a type that meets the project’s needs is more important than an embroiderer’s personal preference.”. Click below for a preview of this class. Don’t be afraid to test a thread before you use it if you are unsure of the quality or have never tried it before. This can be a good thing; however it is often abused if the tensions are too far off. A Thread about Thread: Which Thread to Use for Beautiful Quilting. To me it is like painting. One of the popular brands when it comes to polyester thread is the Hemingworth polyselect embroidery thread… Whether you are quilting or embroidering, once you find an embroidery thread that is trouble free, stick with it. Better shelf life. For the custom embroiderer, I recommend the use of rayon thread.”. High conductive threads; Technical speciality threads; Heat and flame-resistant; Underthreads; Embroidery stabilisers. Rayon is a semi-synthetic fiber that contains some cellulose in its structure. Threads used for machine embroidery is made from rayon and polyester… The images below show what happens when rayon and polyester threads are exposed to brightening agents. No slouch when it comes to washing, a good rayon will stand up to water temperatures of more than 200°F. Now, poly is just as popular. By: Alice WolfPrintwear MagazineMarch 2008. Rayon has a high luster and is eye catching. FS premium; CR easy to use; Wool and Cotton; Technical threads. When it comes to commercial laundering, or swimsuits that will spend much of their time in chlorinated water, all will agree: A good quality 100 percent polyester is the workhorse for the job. Both threads are integral in every embroidery shop. While rayon maintains its soft hand even when stitch counts are high, if the target garment is destined for bleach orthe commercial laundry, polyester would be the better choice. Perle cotton/ Pearl cotton. Which camp are you in? Should you switch? The thickest thread in the Classic Rayon embroidery thread family, Classic Rayon #12 is a soft, satiny 2-ply embroidery thread. “The luster and shine provided by rayon is and should be the standard for quality embroidery. Effect of thread on your machines and performance In general, most of the high-quality rayon or polyester … Look what happens when the gloves go on:“I absolutely prefer rayon,” begins Pat Williams, custom-contract digitizer and owner of Arizona-based Image Embroidery. The larger the number, the finer the thread, the easier it will break. I tried two spools of Isacord and was happy with it but after washing the blouse (100% cotton) I went about the ironing with a steam iron on cotton setting and it melted the thread. Are you on the right one? Whether it’s a straight, formal grid, a swirl of freemotion stippling, or … Rayon is fairly universal in its appearance and texture, however polyester can come in many forms. Round TwoSounds like a no-brainer, doesn’t it? Embroidery thread is yarn that is manufactured or hand-spun specifically for embroidery and other forms of needlework.. Threads for hand embroidery include: Crewel yarn is a fine 2-ply yarn of wool or, less often, a wool-like acrylic. Not all colors are available in either poly or in rayon, so I buy for the color; but, I like the rayon sheen better.I frequently change colors more often than the design itself calls for. So why feed her with thread that does not preform top-notch all the time? Subscribe Me And Sewing Mastery Email Updates, 10 Things I Love About the BERNINA L 850 Serger. Threads made from rayon, cotton, polyester, silk, etc. There are other good brands out there but we found that this combination gives us the most colors to play with! Embroidery thread that comes on spools rather than in hanks is usually either made from rayon or polyester and sometimes nylon. Polyester: Made from 100% polyester, Madeira Polyneon polyester embroidery thread is strong and constructed of a specially developed raw material intended to eliminate looping, puckering and thread … Less abrasive than polyester thread, it is gentle to embroidery equipment. $5 Hooping Fix Every BERNINA Embroiderer Needs! Or maybe we should ask your embroidery machine which one it prefers? Madeira USA offers embroidery thread in a variety of machine embroidery thread colors for every job and project, from Classic Rayon and Polyester embroidery thread to Luna Glow in the Dark embroidery thread! Polyester vs viscose rayon: choosing the best thread for the job When discussing children and politics, broadcasting our favourite is generally not the done thing. Fusible backings; Embroidery … Many times we find the problems is the embroidery thread. No matter the brand of embroidery machine, good quality polyester embroidery thread is the best choice.