If you have a cat, you will never enjoy privacy in the bathroom ever again. One of the reasons for your cat to follow you everywhere is so cute, you don't want to miss it. But only me and my mom. Why does my cat follow me to the bathroom? If you’ve been wondering, “Why does my dog follow me?” we’ve got answers. They do not perform or behave in such a way as to seek praise. Maybe your cat follows you around everywhere because he or she feels you’re his or her territory, and thus the behaviour is, at least in part, about territory. When he is affectionate, or curious, it is only in the times when he does not feel threatened. Cats also might enjoy the “cool, smooth surfaces of sinks and tiles,” or even water, Delgado adds. In fact, if you’ve got a cat that’s always by your side, you probably don’t even bother closing the bathroom door anymore! But for what reason? Seemingly cat owners across the world find that their cats just don’t want to stay out of the bathroom during their visit. Some people also leave their bathroom taps to drip a little after they go to the bathroom so their cats can get some fresh water as they know their cats to enjoy drinking this way. And forget about going into the bathroom alone; I am not allowed to close the bathroom door unless I … Like when i walk out he's sitting there staring rhen runs sometimes he walks in. And if you attempt to shut the door, this triggers their curiosity even more than usual. Like when i walk out he's sitting there staring rhen runs sometimes he walks in. Separation anxiety may also be a reason why a cat may suddenly follow an owner around more, especially after a return home from a trip. It’s not because they are purposely trying to annoy you, and it’s not because they are bored and have nothing better to do. Why is it taking so long? We Asked Scientists. my cat is 1 yr\half every-time i go to my bathroom to do whatever he follows me this is the only room that he does this he likes to be curled up in a corner all day and not bothered but if i get up and walk in there here he comes to the door meowing and rubbing my leg is … But trust me, even as knowledgeable as I am about the feline kind, I like to convince myself of this too when my cats follow me! I started to just let my cat come in to the bathroom with me because she made such a fuss if I closed the door. They want cuddles and to be pet from time to time so staying near to their owners is part of their plan to get that attention. If you’re not a cat owner, it’s hard to explain the situation, but here’s the gist: You go to the bathroom, and your cat rushes in next to you. We all know cats are curious, and—while we hope that curiosity never kills them—if you go to the bathroom and spend any amount of time behind a closed door, your cat is going to wonder what mysterious thing you’re doing in there, without him. Why does my cat follow me to the bathroom?! So, it appears that it’s either more popular an occurrence that people give it credit for, or it’s annoying enough for people to discuss. Perhaps this is one of the many reasons he is such an excellent hunter! Cats are curious and playful and we know that our cats like to be with us, but seriously…do they have to attend our potty breaks? My cat Vivian is all black and has green eyes sleeps in the corner of the hallway and when ever she hears some one coming to the bathroom she goes in there and pesters you. My question is why: Why does Porkchop insist on following me into the bathroom, why does my mom’s cat (Peter) fling himself chest-first at the shower door for the duration of his human’s stay in the rain box, why do basically all these gremlins understand their unflagging surveillance of intimate moments as acceptable behavior? Related Items: featured , weird cat behaviors , why does my cat follow me to the bathroom They will take advantage of the fact they have a partner, for their benefit, and they will also reciprocate. This can make for some seriously priceless photo ops. If you are going anywhere in your home, chances are that your cat will follow you. Why does my cat follow me into the bathroom? Even though cats are considered solitary animals, they have very specific behaviors when they’re in groups. My cat follows me into the bathroom (heck, he follows GUESTS into the bathroom!). Why Does My Cat Follow Me To The Toilet? However, following you into the bathroom is likely because they want to be near you. Even if we close the door, there’s always a paw stuck beneath it, attached to a cat wondering if he can slide beneath the door. If you’re trying to figure out why your cat is sleeping in your bathroom consider some of the following possible reasons: Nearly all of my cats seem to follow me around everywhere. Cats follow their people all over the place, but there seems to be a special fascination with the bathroom. If you usually do something your cat enjoys after the bathroom, these linked actions might cause your cat to follow you to the bathroom. But in defense of felines, neither do dogs! While we want our privacy, our cats simply do not care. If I don't let her in with me, she puts her paw under the door until she finds my foot to hold onto," onereddit commenter wrote. So when I sit on the toilet my cat sits on my feet. As loving as they can be, cats are not always the best at respecting human boundaries. Bit of a strange one but a subject that has been requested by quite a few of our loyal subscribers! If you want to say that they follow you because they “love you” and want to be near you. When we go into the kitchen, our cats like to follow us because it’s likely we will have food in there. Though there are so many unsolved feline mysteries, one of the strangest is their obsession with the bathroom — specifically, why cats seem hell-bent on following their humans to the toilet. According to cat researcher Mikel Delgado, a postdoctoral fellow at the School of Veterinary Medicine at UC Davis, scientists don’t have answers but certainly some ideas. It’s not exactly a social time for us excluding the mobile device that sometimes finds its way into the bathroom with us. She does this every single time and she does it to my mom too. If your dog follows you into the bathroom, it’s likely a result of their animal instinct and pack mentality. And forget about going into the bathroom alone; I am not allowed to close the bathroom door unless I want them to rattle it off the hinges! She’s got your back! My question is why: Why does Porkchop insist on following me into the bathroom, why does my mom’s cat (Peter) fling himself chest-first at the shower door for the duration of his human’s stay in the rain box, why do basically all these gremlins understand their unflagging surveillance of intimate moments as acceptable behavior? In the evening while getting a bath, my female cat lays by the door & comes in when I’m drying off. Thank you for reading ❤️ but he follows me to the bathroom all the time. But if you do this, my guess is you already know that’s a huge part of the reason why your cat follows you into the bathroom, so you wouldn’t have to look the answer to this question up. If you don’t want your cat to follow you to the bathroom, try to stop associating these actions. However, there is a slight chance that your cat wants a bath. “There might be various reasons cats like to join people in the bathroom,” she tells Inverse. My cat continuously contains the lavatory with me too. If you know cats, then you probably know that most cats love bathrooms.Does your cat follow you into the bathroom? Kitties love to dash off on their own, even when you’re cuddling and petting them just the right way.So, why does your pet insist on staying close when you’re in the bathroom, of all places? The bathroom! And, as we know, cats like food. Surprisingly enough I am not the only one. Contents. We all snicker at the images and videos of cats prying the bathroom door open or perching inside pants gathered around the ankles of the wearer when they are on the “john”. Cats are supposed to be such private animals, but aren’t we humans entitled to a little privacy as well? Your Cat Is Crepuscular Not Nocturnal—And Here’s Why, 19 Surprising Smells Your Cat Can’t Stand, Atlas & Trico Are Two Blue-Eyed Beauties Living Their Best Life After Being Rescued. Why Does My Cat Follow Me Into the Bathroom? I love you!” Via Giphy. And he does this with both me and my mom sometimes my brother and he's been doing that for since we moved to our new house. Maybe it jumps on the counter to lounge in the sink even when you're not around. And most importantly, will I ever eat again? Here’s why. Cats can think people, places (like rooms), and things (like litter boxes), are their territory. And this absolutely includes to seemingly odd places, like following me into the bathroom. Adventure; Bottom-line; Curiosity. When we are in the restroom, we prefer to hang out there alone. 1. My cat is almost three and he is a white and golden brown tabby and he's been fixed (or whatever you call it.) Whether I need to take a bath, a shower or need to pay a visit to the toilet, they always come. Anyone who owns a cat knows these fur babies are fiercely independent. When we go into the kitchen, our cats like to follow us because it's likely we will have food in there. Curiosity. All my cats like to follow me from room to room as I do chores around the house, sometimes tripping me along the way to make sure I pay them some attention. References. There are many causes that can make our cat follow us, specifically to the bathroom. 3. If you are going anywhere in your home, chances are that your cat will follow you. If you've got a question for me, don't hesitate to reach out: modi@cattitudedaily.com, @2019 - All Right Reserved. All my cats like to follow me from room to room as I do chores around the house, sometimes tripping me along the way to make sure I pay them some attention. General. Lorena Avila is a Marketing Engineer, Writer, cat figures collector, cat lover and cat owner, but above all a very passionate investigator of felines. Why does my cat follow me to the bathroom by dr kathryn primm shutterstock 136107539. If only we could control where cats sleep, right? The cat is curious and is trying to figure out what you are doing in that little room. This is a phenomenon that I’ve seen loads of people talking about online and has even come up in conversation with friends. very weird but id be interested to see if anyone else knows why! “Felines are territorial animals”, writes Dr. Marty Becker for Perhaps your cat is the outlier in the feline world that enjoys soap, water, and brushing and is trying to tell you that it is time for a bath. Here is a benefit that could come of allowing the cat into the bathroom with you. And if you attempt to shut the door, this triggers their curiosity even more than usual. She’s got your back! Cats are fluffy enigmas intent on prying love right out of their owners’ hearts — after they’ve fed them, of course. “Lap sitting is really popular in the loo — I assume this is characteristic opportunist behavior to find the warmest spot in the house and exploit the attention of their human servants,” Cancellare tells Inverse. When ever I go to the bathroom my cat always follows me. There are tons of stories like Phoebe’s, but no concrete evidence to explain them. Curiosity, of course! “I have two cats, and if I don’t keep the door open when I use the bathroom one will yowl like her entire heart is broken,” cat owner Phoebe Seiders tells Inverse. However, a more likely sign of true separation anxiety is inappropriate elimination during an owner’s absence or after the owner has returned home and to a normal schedule. And she purrs when she does it. It seems that this is a very common question that cat owners ask all the time and a question that doesn’t have a definitive answer. Some cats are also in the habit of guarding or monitoring their … Why Does My Cat Watch Me Shower? It might meow loudly and paw at the closed door and leave your cat outside. Many times I have found myself becoming frightened when I open my eyes after rinsing my hair in the shower to see him perched outside of the glass on the ledge between the shower in the tub in my master bathroom. If you try to lock the kitty out, it wails and scratches the door like a maniac. Even though you have a water bowl for them to drink, this water can … If your cat is always following you around the house, this is the article you need to read. he also tries to bash against it to get it open when I shut it behind me. If you’re a cat owner, you’ve probably asked yourself the same question I’ve asked myself over the years, “Why does my cat follow me?” The answer may surprise you. 5. If you want to say that they follow you because they “love you” and want to be near you, than you might be overlooking the hardwired nature of a cat. It then proceeds to watch you pee, like a fluffy little gargoyle. Cattitude Daily. “Their litter box might be in there, so it could be a room that smells very familiar. He is almost like a cat ninja, stealthily moving about my home when he is indoors. Does your cat do this too? It’s a phenomenon science has produced little to no explanation for. Your cat could be following you to the bathroom for all of the reasons listed above, and chances are those are the reasons over this one. Your cats are not like dogs. Why Does My Cat Follow Me to The Bathroom? Ask A Vet Why Does My Cat Follow Me To The Bathroom? They run into or out of rooms for no reason, push things off of counters, and follow you into the place where you want the most privacy – your bathroom. Perhaps it rubs on your legs while you are in there. So, he has to scratch, paw, meow, and bang on the door until he finds out! Your cat is following you essentially because they are nosy, and you’ve triggered their curiosity. I'm the owner of CattitudeDaily.com and the admin for the Tuxedo Cat Lovers group on Facebook. “Belly rubs for meeee? Even if we close the door, there’s always a paw stuck beneath it, attached to a cat wondering if he can slide beneath the door. She doesn't do this anywhere else in … I've loved cats ever since I was a young girl, and love to share my knowledge of them with the world! Cats are curious and playful and we know that our cats like to be with us, but seriously…do they have to attend our … More information Ask A Vet Why Does My Cat Follow Me To The Bathroom? Cats are visual hunters, and like to use their vision to keep track of where things are. Your cat may also follow you into the bathroom to get some fresh water. Maybe it jumps on the counter to lounge in the sink even when you're not around. She also just follows me around everywhere and likes to watch whatever I'm doing. One of them is the temperature: in the hottest months, that is, in summer, your feline will look for cool places where it can rest comfortably. 11.27.2017 8:57 PM. different cats in the previous have performed so too. That’s especially true when it comes to those cans that open. Why does my cat follow me to bed? Learn the reasons why your kitty shows this behavior so you can understand your feline friend better. Remember, cats are “micro-managers” and they must know what is going on at all times. Maybe you’re taking shower. by Dr. Kathryn Primm. Check it out. Why Do Cats Follow You to the Bathroom? Does your cat follow you everywhere? Belly Up. About Lorena Ávila. Cats are curious and playful and we know that our cats like to be with us, but seriously…do they have to attend our potty breaks? If only we could know all the questions going on in their little minds! Your cat, however, does not care what you are doing in there. This includes you when you try and sneak off to the bathroom, human! Cats also probably know that when we are on the toilet, we are a captive audience — nowadays we are so busy and distracted that many cats are probably looking for an opportunity to have our undivided attention!”. Fresh is key, but that warm temperature is high on their list of preferences, too. Canines who do this are referred to as “Velcro dogs,” due to their desire to be attached to your side. Once upon a time, your cat had a reason for trailing after you in there, but after a while, it just does … If that is the question running through your mind, here is the reason! To stay well refreshed, he likes the bathroom because it is the coolest room in your home and the toilet bowl and fresh bathroom tiles help to lower his body temperature.