He's a house cat so has never seen another cat since we've had him. ? we have decided to try and catch him and have him spayed then release him again, this will calm him down and make him … Watch the cats carefully for at least a couple of weeks. There will be some spitting, swearing and maybe even a swat or two as your older cat points out that he is boss cat (this may change over time) but an attack is very, very unlikely. Give him lots of love and reassurance and soon he will understand that the new cat is to be his friend and not his replacement. Zorro was just what Dervish needed. Any earlier may cause problems for a kitten taken from mom cat too soon. Not only can you prevent your older cat from hurting your kitten, you can also prevent a kitten that is too boisterous and playful making a serious nuisance of itself with a sedate older cat. Join Yahoo Answers and get 100 points today. you ought to provide them time to get used to one yet another. You just need time and patience. A lot of cat owners are caught off guard the very first time they are being attacked by their own beloved cats. Cat parents know the routine: You've just settled down to rest when suddenly, your cat pounces on top of your feet. Some enjoy having feline company, whilst others are much happier being the only cat. The last one was a tiny tortoiseshell kitten who was found abandoned in the middle of the road and we rescued her, temporarily we thought, and took her home to meet our resident old boy. And if it just so happens to be your feet nice and cozy under the covers, well, you better hope those blankets are thick my friend. We approached everything cautiously. will my cat attack my new kitten ? 5 Answers. I know she's suffering but i'm not ready to let her go. My cat came back later with a bite wound that needed expensive treatment. Also, wash your hands after petting your baby kitten before you pet your older cat. My cat is really aggresive towards my grown up son, for no reason at all, im so scared i will have to get rid of her but she also spits at everyone that comes to my flat, the only person she seems to like is me, im scared she will do real bad damage to my so she has only been like this for the past year, i ha e had her since she was a kitten … He might be a little territorial at first, and try and dominate over the kitten, but I think that after a while he will accept the kitten, as long as the kitten knows that hes boss it should be okay. Why does my male kitten 9mts attack my 4yr old cat by biting help please. whilst she stops hissing at it, then you definately can open the door and enable them to smell one yet another's noses for a couple of minutes on a daily basis for some days. new kitten with older cat by: Anonymous Thank you all for the good advice, I feel a lot better, this is my second attempt with a new kitten introduced to the house hold. well it can depend on the cat but usually yes they can have a little bit of a fight. Recognising your cat’s behaviour is important when understanding why your cat attacks you. What should I do? it all really depends on your cat you have now, most cats feel threatened by others and doubt he will be nervous when your kitten arrives. Don’t give the cat any other attention after the reprimand. They've all been neutered so they all get along. :) Have fun! You will need to keep them separate for at least one full day and night - preferably two or three. At this age, kittens really need to play. Give your cat lots of attention and don't leave them by themselves until you are sure that the kitten will be safe. When my male cat was almost 1 year old, we decided to get another kitten to keep him company (he is also an indoor cat). If he is not yet neutered, he is far more likely to be aggressive towards the kitten. Why doesn't my cat like the new kitten? I certainly have 4 cats and it particularly is by far the excellent approach of introducing them that I certainly have stumbled on. Attacks by the kitten may occur due to the following factors: Fear. Mixing their scents by handling one cat and then letting the other smell your hands, or wiping your cat's face (partcularly his cheeks) with a cloth and then rubbing it over the new cat will help. Do the comparable with the older cat, wipe her down with a washcloth and enable the kitten get used to it. ... My kitten is 13 weeks old, we got her at 9 weeks. It can be difficult for the first month or two - there will probably be hissing, posturing, hiding and perhaps a couple of attacks. My family took in a stray cat that we've now had for about a month or so, but we have a dog who is a rat terrier dachshund mix (he's smaller than the cat) and my cat will frequently approach my dog and attack him, and it seems unprovoked. And if you entice your cat to attack you, well, you just might be asking for it. In fact, the cat often hides behind some furniture and waits until a person walks by, and then dashes out and attacks the person’s ankles. You wont have to worry as long as you don't spend more attention with the younger cat instead of the older one. The older cat isn't aggressive he getts quite nervous, but the kitten canbe playful. try going to your shelter or ASPCA and find a kitten that you like and then ask a person there for an application and ask if you could set up a meeting between your cat and the kitten. The new kitten has only been here less than a week but they are slowly getting on . Don't freak out your old cat by letting the kitten have full run immediately. We've done this several times with complete success. I'm hoping for a miracle :o(? Still have questions? Dervish, our “big orange-and-white guy,” was about a year old when we were waylaid by the stray kitten with the Abyssinian-looking face and mottling. I know she's suffering but i'm not ready to let her go. If you are to get a new kitten, you must also ensure that your male cat is neutered if he isn't already. It takes time but its worth it. They stopped fighting and both went over the fence as I went to pick up my cat. When my old man cat (age 12) would get aggressive in his youth, I gave him a stuffed animal to "kill". It is good that your cat does not just sit back and take it, and attempts to fight back a little. He might not like the new kitten at first but eventually they will get along and play and all that stuff. I have just done this i got another kitten to keep my other cat company my older cat is 7 months old and kitten is 13 weeks plus they are both housecats. Is hatred of water instinctive with cats? you ought to never in simple terms throw cats in with one yet another!! A long, long time ago, I saw a similar scenario play out between the first Dervish and his “little buddy,” Zorro. Relevance. Either way, I think you will be fine to get a new kitten! And get them both neutered as soon as practicable. Remember with cats a week or two difference is a long time. The best option is to choose a cat that is younger, smaller and female, so that your cat will see them as less of a threat. I'm guessing this is to be expected so I tried to push my cat out of the room so I could get the kitten back to her new "safe room" and give the older cat the rest of the house. Both the Queens (the mother cats) and the Toms (male cats) who are members of the group may attack the strange male to defend the kittens. Hissing and a swat or two is normal. And it seems to be getting worse: now Manx will even bully Kitten out from under the bed and chase her into the corner of the closet … hope this has helped, dont be worried and good luck! Older one still hisses at him but each day they get more frendly and are startting to slightly play with oine another. Cats also rely very heavily on their sense of smell and the unfamiliar scent of a new cat is another reason they feel threatened. After lots and LOTS of research (!) I just got home from - Answered by a verified Cat Veterinarian. Would you rather own a horse the size of a cat or a cat the size of a mouse. Really, the kitten should be with its mum for a few more weeks, but never mind. ? If you are a cat owner and decide to introduce a new kitten to your household, you are almost certainly hoping your cat will take to the change well and that the two will become friends. There are lots of things you can do to avoid problems. What's the longest you've had your outdoor pet cat be gone for? as quickly as they provide up hissing at one yet another, you could enable them to work together for 15-30 minute increments 2-three times an afternoon. Unfriendly cat staring at me at cat cafe? My older cat (DC) was well into his Two's when I got my kitten who was four months old at the time. Remember to give your old cats just as much love as the kitten! And they are both males.Also we cant do isolation because there is not enough room, Your Older Cat Will Be Wary At First But Make Sure The Kitten Isn't To Playful Towards The Older Cat Or Annoys It Or Your Older Cat Could Become Distressed They Should Be Fine Just Give Them Space And Don't Make To Big A Fuss Over The Kitten Cause The Older Cat Will Think Your Leaving It Out And Will Become Moody...It Happened To My Older Cat When I Got A Kitten And My Older Cat Ended Up Running Away. Schedule Daily Cat Playtime. My cat has started to attack me...He will be laying next to me and out of the blue he lunges and grabs my arm with his teeth, not a playing bite, ... My new kitten, Spunky, is beginning to gnaw on our hands and feet. You must be able to provide some kind of safe room for the new kitten - preferably a spare room or even a bathroom. Why does my cat attack me? That pattern is that Kitten lives under the bed and Manx stays within view of her, even if it's across the house, so she can attack Kitten whenever Kitten emerges from under the bed. is it cruel to not feed a kitten as punishment for scratching you? Just one more suggestion - a good option in these circumstances is to ask at your local shelters if they need kitten fosterers (they always do!). I live in the basement in my mom’s house. I kept them separated for about a month by keeping her in the spare bathroom, mostly because she had a terrible URI from the Shelter, and DC would go up to the door and sniff around the edges and she would stick her … Get your answers by asking now. My kitten is very well natured and isn't hissing or … It all depends if the older cat like the kitten, it can go either way. A cat can be aggressive with its owner for many reasons. The older cat may be jealous and may not like the playfulness of the kitten. How the gridlock on COVID-19 stimulus hurts Americans, Virus raged 'like wildfire' in 'Duck Dynasty' family, NFL commentator draws scorn for sexist comment, Prolific bank robber strikes after taking 2-year break, Cyrus: 'Too much conflict' in Hemsworth marriage, Reporting on Elliot Page stirs controversy, Disgraced former CEO to face 'very different trial', Outdoor sportsmen say they removed Utah monolith, 'Beautiful and sensual' Madonna video banned by MTV, Three former presidents make COVID vaccine pledge, Trump backers edge toward call to 'suspend' Constitution. He's 11 months old. But one weighs almost 21 pounds.? Kitten will be frightened - cat will be freaked out - you will be in for 18+ years of trauma! My 15 month old neutered male kitten, Milo, has been pouncing and softly biting my 9 week old kitten, Jenny, over their first few days of meeting.