After the adult cat 'wins' does the kitten come back for more or run away & hide? We also have a 10 year old female cat. that is fairly exciting to demonstrate screen how they have interaction and artwork issues out. My older cat never gets closer than a foot to the kittens door, but today I was leaving the kittens safe room and my older cat was sitting right in the door jam so while staying in the room I cracked the door and the kitten got close, they were almost nose to nose. How the gridlock on COVID-19 stimulus hurts Americans, NFL commentator draws scorn for sexist comment, Prolific bank robber strikes after taking 2-year break, Cyrus: 'Too much conflict' in Hemsworth marriage, 'Beautiful and sensual' Madonna video banned by MTV, Reporting on Elliot Page stirs controversy, Disgraced former CEO to face 'very different trial', Trump backers edge toward call to 'suspend' Constitution, Three former presidents make COVID vaccine pledge, Goo Goo Dolls named 'classic rock group' at tree lighting, Outdoor sportsmen say they removed Utah monolith. Her cat is very calm and snuggly but my cat is a bit wild. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Even if she does swat the kitten away, I seriously doubt that the kitten will be hurt. I don't see why she'd hurt it if she's running away from it... she seems to know it's not right to hurt the kitten and is just avoiding him instead. His mother lives in the same apartment block and she and he have access to eachother's homes. This is what happened when I got a new kitten. The following tips will help you introduce your new kitten to your older cat. If you have a new kitten you may be concerned or paranoid about how you’re older cat will react to it. I recently bought a kitten to add to my household. My son brought in a 5 week old kitten and the 11 year old is always hissing when the kitten gets too close. The first cat, Sophie, was about two when my sister got a new cat, also about two, because she figured a kitten would drive Sophie crazy. Cats don't like to share these sorts of things. Well, today my wife decided since we are often gone most of the day, that our cat (1 year old) would appreciate having a playmate. Kitty then starts to hiss and scream. I have an 11 year male cat and a 7 year old dog. The older cat is feeling threatened because of fact there's a clean animal in his/her turf! you would be wise to isolate the kitten in a separate room while you aren't around to supervise them. The adult cat is showing dominance in rough play , they are prolific killers of small animals not of their own kittens . The cat trees need to be tall, with sturdy bases, so that when she zooms around she doesn’t accidentally knock the trees over and potentially hurt herself. Maybe rub a rag on each cat and place it near the other one for awhile. So if it wants to get home easier it sniffs the butter and comes back, but it wont walk far at first. The cat is just super curious of this new little thing in their home. Also leave your cat in doors for about 5 months before putting him out for the night if you do that with your other cat. Home & Forums | When the big day comes and you bring your kitten home, it may be tempting to introduce both kitties straightaway, but hold off! Our cat was a prolific hunter and never attacked kitten like it would prey . I need some help or advice to what can I do about this problem. that is natural behavior. No. Join Yahoo Answers and get 100 points today. Would an older cat fight or hurt a 2 month old kitten? Good Luck! i got a kitten when i had a cat that was older, it was awful at first and i thought she was going to hurt the kitten but she never really did. How to choose the right food for your cat. We put them together only with supervision because I am not sure if my older cat will attack this small kitten. your cat will get used to him in time and he might just feel a bit hurt that you brought a new cat in to the house,try puting the kitten i n a room were gus can't get him and then give gus extra attention every day then represent the kitten and he'll be more ok with the fact but after presenting the kitten … This is a pecking order . The above intervention techniques can be applied, but also consider several tips for adoption success (see below). No open claws used , bites were only nips . The kitten wants to be friends but the cat hissed at her for 2 weeks now, and … So far ive just been watching to make sure the little one doesnt get hurt but im worried that because my older kittin is still a kitten … I homed a few kittens while I had my older cat. Hi I am a cat behaviorist, and people forget that when you bring home a new kitten, it will be strange for your resident cat. The older cat will probably either ignore it or cuff it if it gets too aggressive. My friend wants me to watch her 2 month old kitten for a weekend but I have like a 4 year old cat already. Will our cat try and hurt the new kittens he is related to? 2 posts • Page 1 of 1. allyjoyrdz New Cat Chatter Posts: 1 Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:02 am. When introducing a kitten to an older cat, slow and steady (and then slow again) is the name of the game. ? It will help the kitten gain confidence and help him with constant access to a litter box (young kittens are like toddlers, they play until they HAVE TO GO! Prop the door enough that they can see and smell each other. Whatever you do, don't ask my sister for advice on this subject. This is a good way for the new cat to leave it scent. She will make sure the kitten knows who's boss, but that's ok too. ... but in the case of introducing a new kitten to an older kitten or adult cat, time is all you need. My sister has had two bad experiences with a first cat and then a new cat. But as time went on, he'd come out, and sniff the older cat, who seemed extremely patient with him, and before we knew it, the two would lay down together, play together, you'd see the two of them chasing each other thru the house-- that little kitten brought my ex's older cat back to life!! she will go up and sniff him but then when the kitten trys to play she makes a lil "yap" sound and runs off. A kitten under 16 weeks old is a baby, physically weak, and can easily be hurt by an older cat. My older cat seem to be scared of it. You must log in or register to reply here. Do not rush the introduction process. Praise your older cat when ever the kitten is around and she's showing neutral or positive behavior. Age Matters. My 15 month old neutered male kitten, Milo, has been pouncing and softly biting my 9 week old kitten, Jenny, over their first few days of meeting. Cats tend to know how to make another cat go away without actually causing damage. If you are worried, keep them apart while you are not home and supervise them when they are together. Although a bully kitten may be small compared to your adult cat, one day the kitten will catch up in size and the bullying behavior and aggression will be even more problematic. they should address their pecking order and settle on who's boss. My older cat is a female(5years old) and my new kitten about 8 weeks old is a male. we've 3 canines and four cats and each and every time there became a clean member of the kin added, we went by way of an adjustment era. You can sign in to vote the answer. Cat Articles | Do … The two are at different life stages, and the older resident may not have the same energy levels as the younger, or the same personality. When the new kitten comes home, while still in your arms or carrier, allow for the older cat to sniff the new kitten a little. I have a 4 year old cat and a 7 week old kitten. I didn't realize the size difference would be so great until I got my new kitten home. Today, I adopted a 7 week old male neutered kitten, as a companion. My older cat (DC) was well into his Two's when I got my kitten who was four months old at the time. Will your older cat hurt your new kitten? Let the older cat calm down a little for a day, and sniff around the hosue where the new kitten has been, to learn his smell. Needing a bit of advice here: We recently adopted a male kitten (he's about 12 weeks) a month ago. The vet said he had alot of bruising which was why he was shaking so bad. My vet told me my cat has probably has brain tumor. Do not force interaction between your cat and kitten. So far, we were dead wrong. Everytime they play,the little cat seems to have his ears go to the back and hide,and try to wrestle with the old one again. If your older cat likes the new kitten then everyone is happy all around and can live together with no issues. I think once your cat is used to the kitten and has established some house rules, they'll be fine. Can she, yes. Keep the new kitten isolated and feed both the older cat and kitten close the door. After 24- 48 hours, confine the residence cat to a room, and let the new residence cat roam the new place. I'm hoping for a miracle :o(? Now sometimes they cuddle together if they are tired, but as soon as my kitten starts running and having fun my cat pounces on her - especially grabbing her scruff of her neck then tackling her. TheCatSite.com participates in select affiliate advertising programs, including the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. Your cats just need time to get to know each other first. RIP Sophie. Don't worry, it sometimes take up to a week for them to like each other. . despite if, continual separation will in simple terms lengthen the approach. Is hatred of water instinctive with cats? My two adult males wrestle and play fight a lot. I would advise never leaving your cats in the same room together over night for protection reasons to your kitten. IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority. Please pray my 2 cats will be friends. I know she's suffering but i'm not ready to let her go. It’s important to keep both pussycats separate for a while so they can adjust to the scent of a new cat. Thank you!! Hope this helps as many of the answers are not correct from what I have read on this forum . The kitten will learn good behaviour from her. When you first adopt a kitten and bring him home, Dr. Bales recommends taking him straight to his own room and shutting the door. The older cat probably knows he is the boss, anyway. Very tough , no fear of dogs nor rough housing with humans . Make sure the kitten has his own food bowls, and separate litter boxes to help with territorial issues. I thought this would hurt the kittens, but they turned out to be fine. Also another thing is when you think your kitten is ready to go out side keep an eye on him but put butter on his paws it seriously helps and its something my family do. And it takes time! Hello guys im new in this website and I have a problem....my old cat stopped hissing at the new kitten in just 4 days,they now started playing/wrestling but it worries my a lot if the old cat is hurting the new one. Thank you for the advice,im gonna let them play now but I will only stop them when someone starts bleeding/getting injured. This is where you put the new cat on a room, where there is not place for them to hide under the bed. I did. Never scold her for being upset at a young kitten around. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Will my older cat hurt my new kitten? There are many things you can do to ease the transition for both cats. My older cat seems to want to play, but he bites the smaller one constantly, rolling onto his back and holding him with his paws. Not learning her lesson, my sister's husband got her a new kitten to "replace" Sophie. 4lbs vs. 1.2lbs. The little one just recently hissed at him when they are in the middle of playing about 3hrs ago prior to this post. I still didn't leave them alone for a few months but they used to have great fun play fighting. She's currently in my daughter's room, but I want to integrate her to the rest of my pets and house. And we went by way of it returned as quickly as we added the third canines. Loves to fight . Found a 4 week old female kitten in the woods , soak and wet in obvious distress weighed less than a pound . Active 7 months ago. Dervish, our “big orange-and-white guy,” was about a year old when we were waylaid by the stray kitten with the Abyssinian-looking face and mottling. in maximum circumstances, no, the older cat won't heavily harm the kitten The kitten gets the belief to circulate away the older cat on my own or they'll come to an be attentive to-how between the two one among them. Took her home , she wanted nothing to do with dog was OK with people and had our male sniffing her then hissing . After 24 - 48 hours, then crack a little on the door for the other cat to smell and start playing with them. If the older cat doesn’t wish to play, perhaps you can provide soft stroking for the older cat while dangling an interesting toy for the younger cat. My older cat seem to be scared of it. Keep it this way for about seven days. Allow your older cat to observe this exploration and retreat if it wants to. Hello! Sometimes they act protective, as your home is their turf (and was theirs first!). It took a week and the kitten was cuddling up to big cat. ideal now, it will be the older cat however the kitten in simple terms hasn't figured that out yet. So surely, a cat biting this area to assert dominance on a kitten is a similar behaviour. I have an 11 year old female domestic short hair cat. What's the longest you've had your outdoor pet cat be gone for? I always recommend confinement to new adopters. Ask Question Asked 5 years, 5 months ago. Let the kitten and resident cat sniff each other through the door, but not actually meet face to face. Have plenty of cat furniture for your kitten to climb and explore. My experience is that the kitten is a bit nervous about the older cat, and so it is taking an offensive position to prove how fierce it is. However, if your older cat hates the kitten it is unlikely to show you the hate. Start to prepare before the kitten arrives. Kitten food might hurt your older cat, and the one ingredient to be wary of is fats. actual, while you're in touch, i could save them separate once you are able to not be there to oversee. We have a 7 month old male kitten/cat. How do you think about the answers? The boisterous young cat been living with 3 adult females — Cricket, Kilah and Tikvah — and none of them had the slightest interest in playing with him. Now all of them get alongside in one way or yet another. This site uses cookies. TheCatSite.com is a community of cat lovers dedicated to quality cat care and cat welfare. hard to say. it was like she was 10 years younger again! I have never had cats before. and if they can't see a box, they might just use a corner). She has always been a very good cat non aggressive. This helps us offset the costs of running this site, so thank you for your support! So far he is doing really well and is getting stronger everyday. the middle canines and the only center cat are associates, now commonplace to locate them putting out jointly. After this, you can put the new cat or the resident cat on a cage, and they will start introducing each other. that is going to save you from hectic. When clicking a link here and buying, we may be able to make a small commission, at no additional cost to you. About TheCatSite.com. Well, the two cats hated each other and some of the fights were vicious. The little one also cries when he gets pin down while being biten by the old cat,is this normal? A kitten and an older cat aren’t necessarily going to play together even after they’ve been introduced. Have an adult neutered male orange tabby . If your cat has a favorite interactive toy, such as a feather wand or laser pointer, try playing with both cats at the same time. My older cat was scared of the kitten and yelp at the kitten and even try to scratch my kitten. This is normal, and you will just have to let time pass and as it does they will get along better, probably. They are not as vicious as before but the "2nd cat" has drawn blood a few times when the kitten gets too close. My sister had to keep them apart. Still have questions? If the kitten is hiding, getting fur pulled out or bleeding then yes the Adult cat is being to rough. In time, your cat … After about a week, let your kitten explore the house under your watchful eye. As the kitten eats the adult will sniff , you will hear the kitten growl and the adult will fall back .The kitten hissing and growling is their way of showing their limits as well . If he wants to smell her or have any kind of contact with her, he can go to the door that she's in and smell under the door.