Our tests showed the older lens to be sharper at maximum aperture, but the 18-140mm improves significantly when stopped down. We've combed through the options and selected our two favorite cameras in this class. Which is the better lens in terms of sharpness and overall picture quality, and the autofocus speed? I guess you have to work on your technique first, as it may be the primary reason for bad images. I would like to have a nice sharp images. At 18mm there's 4.2 percent barrel distortion, which gives images a rounded look, like a mild fish-eye lens. With the new Pro Display XDR Calibrator and accompanying firmware update, users can now recalibrate their Pro Display XDR monitors. A lens that goes from 18/300 is a bad compromise, or you have bad performance all over, or shared, good on one end and bad on the other. And, many DSLRs allow you to apply lens corrections, in camera.. you just have to take 5 seconds to turn them on. Third in this group test is the Nikkor DX 18-135mm, introduced as the standard kit lens for the Nikon D80, although now also available bundled with other bodies. Using a wide angle to help you emphasize depth and space is where the wider fields of view come in handy. It's priced a bit higher, but covers a longer zoom range. Fairly compact. Find out if it'll make your life easier in our detailed review. In the majority of cases those are well done constructions with a good price/quality ratio. Not good - 18-105 in that chart sits in front of the 12mp d300, while the 18-140 is tested with the d7000. The lens, with a 35mm-equivalent of 25.5-105mm, will be available in mid-January for $799. Nikon have always been strong on the shorter-range kit lenses, but this is a first for something with this big a range. And if i lose that sharpness can i recover it using Smart Sharpness filter from PS? Only problem I had was with the tulip hood and the 67 to 72mm adapter. DxOMark has recently tested the Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR, which in some markets will be sold as a 'kit' zoom with the latest D5300 SLR. Looks pretty good on the D7100. Sigma's new primes promise very good performance and light weight, when paired with L-mount and Sony E-mount mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras. Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED Vibration Reduction Zoom Lens with Auto Focus for Nikon DSLR Cameras International Version (No Warranty) 4.7 out of 5 stars 97 Nikon D7200 DX-format DSLR w/ 18-140mm VR Lens (Black) 4.7 out of 5 stars 557 Our test showed the Nikkor 18-105mm to be sharper at 18mm f/3.5 (2,500 lines), but that advantage is negated at f/5.6 and f/8, where its image quality is in line with the 18-140mm. The Leica Q2 Monochrom is a version of the Gold Award-winning Q2 that only shoots images in black and white. Everytime I import into ACR, everything is amazingly fixed !! Survivability performance top. :-). Zoom out for an 18mm wide-angle view that’s great for group shots, landscapes or any time you need to fit more into the frame. The display of third-party trademarks and trade names on this site does not necessarily indicate any affiliation or the endorsement of PCMag. Here is a zoom test with the NIKKOR 18-140mm Lens. Yes, I've been loving it. You'll love the Fuji system. As you can tell this announcement did not warrant its own preview video. Canon 24-240mm f/4-6.3 RF. We compare the Canon EOS R6, Nikon Z6 II, Panasonic S5 and Sony a7 III. For APS-C only. Best Smartphone Gimbal (DJI OM 4, Zhiyun Smooth XS, Moza Mini MX). Still, one could extrapolate that the 18-105 is still a very good performer, on par with the new lens. to get uncorrected raw images out of interest (which looked awful "in their underwear"). Have a look at our initial sample gallery taken on a full-frame Sony body. hmmm.. all you have to do is shoot RAW to see the uncorrected output, not really breaking the system and something that many people will do on DPR. Stopping down to f/8 doesn't do much to improve the overall score (2,497 lines) and the edges improve to just 1,242 lines. But i am needing some answers because i can't afford to buy another kit lens. Optically stabilized. When testing lenses, we aim to show what users will get out of them when using their cameras as designed. Canon 1DXm3 1.2.1 (Oct 2020) Canon 5DmIV 1.3.0 (Oct 2020) Canon 6DmII 1.1.0 (Oct 2020) The 18-140mm doesn't get quite as sharp as the lens it replaces. So i am wondering if i should by this D7200 & 18-140 or the D7200 & 10-105 kit(for 100 euro less). All content, design, and layout are Copyright © 1998 - 2020 Digital Photography Review All Rights Reserved. I suppose there is something wrong either with the methodology of your comparison, or your technique or with your new camera/lens being broken.There is no way a non-broken 18-140 is worse then the lens in a 20 year old Sony DSC-H1. There isn't a night and day difference between 24 and 28, and I actually think more consumers would be inclined to "want to get it all in" versus zooming from far off. Our lens test data is produced in collaboration with DxOMark. The former can be alleviated by narrowing the aperture when shooting, and the latter can be fixed via in-camera corrections or later with software. buy Sony NEX, they satart at 16 mm with the collapsible lens. At this stage I have two options - 1. sell the new camera/lans and stay with the old camera 2. I own them both and the Nikon is a better performer all around, especially in terms of sharpness and falloff at the corners. The high distortion of this lens reminds me of the 18-135 that was a kit lens option on the D80. I was so tempted by a recent D5200 / 18-140 kit, which was on special for around $950 because of the D5300 announcement. Of course, the 18-105mm doesn't zoom this far. Here are some of our favorites. Nikon cameras can automatically correct for this—even when shooting in Raw format—but you'll always see the effects in the viewfinder. Sharpness. Adobe camera RAW, DXO and Olympus and Panasonic default RAW converters all show the corrected output. Click the links below to read DxOMark's own review of the Nikon 18-140mm, or see other recent reviews on the DxOMark website. Aiming to save photographers carrying a cable and a charger for every battery they use, this device handles up to four batteries at the same time and can charge at home, in the car and via a USB power bank. With its rounded 7-bladed diaphragm, the 18-140 makes no stars at larger apertures. The resolution test of the Nikkor AF-S DX 18–140 mm f/3.5–5.6G ED VR was based on RAW files from the Nikon D7000. Seeing the results of this one. For now, the app is in beta and limited to a handful of Samsung Galaxy smartphones, but as development continues, it's safe to assume support for other Android devices is on the way. Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Lens . Click on the DPR comparison widget above, just below the heading: Change one of the lenses to the Sigma 17-70. In this buying guide we’ve rounded up all the current interchangeable lens cameras costing around $2000 and recommended the best. When he’s not out with his camera, Jim enjoys watching bad and good television, playing video games (poorly), and reading. What follows are the headiest products of 2020, the ones photographers really want. So I compromised an picked up an X-E1 / 18-55 kit. The Canon EOS Rebel T8i (also known as the EOS 850D or Kiss X10i in some markets) is a 24MP DSLR aimed at first-time DSLR buyers and enthusiasts. Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Lens. If you don't need quite as much reach from a zoom, consider the Sigma 17-70mm as an alternative; it's got a wider aperture and closer focus capability, all for the same price as the 18-140mm. The 18-140mm ƒ/3.5-5.6 provides very sharp results, at least as good as its recent contemporaries and better than previous designs … Lens Mount Nikon 18-140mm f3.5-5.6G ED VR is compatible with cameras that have Nikon F (DX) lens mount.Some of the latest released cameras with Nikon F (DX) lens mount are Nikon D3500, Nikon D7500 and Nikon D5600. But I remember the excellent quality of the 18-70mm DX lens. This video was taken with the Nikon D5500. The Tamron is pretty good but I prefer the Nikon for everything but the rare cases where I need the extra focal length. The Sigma 65mm F2 DG DN is for the photographer who wants a focal length that falls squarely between 50mm and 85mm. Yongnuo, makers of lenses, cameras and other photo accessories, has filed a patent for a modular mirrorless camera system. I get where you're coming from now, but my point, as Guidenet reiterated, is that 18mm is more beginner-friendly and that is why Nikon chose it. Read our full review to find out how it performs. What’s the best camera for around $2000? But this does come at the cost of pretty huge distortion, and although this can be corrected in software when necessary, doing so will have a slight impact on the image sharpness. I'll never understand why Nikon insist on starting their kit lenses at 18mm when the ideal length to start is @ 16mm (~24mm fov). I just have Nikon , it is very good but I still need more , I think if I change the lens it will be better , could some one help me to decide what is the better, I have some photos by my Nikon in my lens :http://www.squidoo.com/nikon-d3200-bundle, but I still need more especially when it is night. The 24mm F3.5, 35mm F2 and 65mm F2 DG DN share similar designs and have weather-sealed metal bodies. There are a lot of photo/video cameras that have found a role as B-cameras on professional productions or A-camera for amateur and independent productions. I am sorry for the big post! At 140mm the maximum aperture is just f/5.6, and the center-weighted sharpness score is 2,299 lines. The 18mm at the wide end may work for you, but don't presume to speak for everyone else. Developed with high pixel count D-SLRs in mind, the AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR delivers vibrant, detail-rich photos and videos across its entire zoom range. Click here for a round-up of DxOMark's recent reviews, including the Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR, Click on any of the images or links below to open our interactive lens widget, and explore the data further. Natural History Museum's Wildlife Photographer of the Year has selected 25 photos for its People's Choice Award. Nikon 18-140mm f3.5-5.6G ED VR is an Auto Focus (AF) SuperZoom lens with APS-C / DX max sensor coverage and it is designed to be used with Nikon F (DX) mount cameras. The middle third of the frame is fine, but the edges show just 1,140 lines. I´ve been happy with the … Not everyone wants to carry around a bag full of primes when they go away on travels. Looks like the 18-140 is a very nice kit zoom, and if it had been available earlier I might not have gotten the 16-85. The older 18-105mm is sharper on average at its f/5.3 maximum aperture (2,591 lines), and its edges are about the same as the 18-140mm; it maintains average performance at f/8, but its edges don't sharpen up as nicely, scoring just 1,567 lines. Futher these lenses generally start wider than their rated focal lengths. I don't frequently use super zooms or even standard zooms, but I figured that such a lens would be useful for travel. I've seen a few reviews online saying the 18-140mm VR is a sharper lens so I thought I'd take the opportunity to test this myself and see if the 18-140mm VR is significantly better than the 18-200mm VR. The Nikon 18-140mm VR lens mounted to a Nikon D7100 body Check Out Our Latest Expert Reviews - November 2018 Tipping the scales at 490 grams, the AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR is not a particularly heavy lens, and it balances well on … So you'll only see it all if you have an older camera, or use third party Raw converters. Since its release in late 2019, users have been unable to recalibrate or fine-tune their Apple Pro Display XDR. Sony's new Visual Story app for iOS promises event and wedding photographers a variety of useful tools, designed to simplify their workflow and enhance their business. The focus is mechanical, rather than focus by wire.