of +3F and a number of days well below freezing. So your rating of M. basjoo is more than a bit pessimistic. Strong fibers in the trunk of the 'Basjoo' have been used to make fabrics. I have a musa basjoo about 2.5' tall that I bought a month ago, an unknown banana about 3' tall that I bought a week ago, and a musa sikkimensis about 3" tall that I have grown from seed and that germinated two weeks ago. The banana tree is beautiful architectural plant with huge, green, paddle-like leaves that can each grow up to 3m long. Musa basjoo is an evergreen Perennial growing to 3 m (9ft) by 2 m (6ft). Musa basjoo routinely overwinters outdoors here in coastal Nova Scotia, since the late 90’s. Supplied in approx 1 litre containers at 30-60cms tall. This makes them one of the largest growing herbs available. The plant can grow 15 feet in a single season and can eventually reach heights of 20 feet or more. Suggested uses. The big leaves create a … The species is monoecious (individual flowers are either male or female, but both sexes can be found on the same plant). I have been monitoring this group and have noticed that a lot of you have questions and concerns when it comes to growing Musa Basjoo. This banana plant has been cultivated in Japan since the 13th century. In very mild areas, grow Musa in any moist, fertile, well-drained soil in full sun, with shelter from strong winds. Banana Tree, Hardy Banana, Musa basjoo – How to Grow from Seed and Care Inhabitants of cooler regions of Europe can still get a taste of a tropical and exotic ambiance in their summer gardens or living rooms with the banana plant. This is a large, fast-growing, suckering plant (technically an herbaceous perennial) that grows to 6-14' tall. It is root hardy so shoots from the ground each year if frosted but if the trunk is protected it gets larger each year. 'Basjoo' also does very well in containers and makes a good interior plant. This is a hardy banana plant that is supposed to be hardy in all 50 U.S. states! 3, which can be moved to a warm frost-free greenhouse or conservatory in winter. It may be grown directly in the ground year round in the St. Louis area. Buy Japanese banana Musa basjoo - A fabulous specimen plant: 2 litre pot: £24.99 Delivery by Crocus We use cookies to provide you with a better service and experience. We aim to dispatch orders within 3-5 days if the product is in stock at our UK nursery. When most people think of banana trees, they envision a tropical landscape.The Japanese banana (Musa basjoo), however, can grow in more temperate conditions.You can even grow it in locations that get snow down to Zone 5. Yes, you’ve read that correctly! For many years now garden magazines and gardening programmes have expounded on the merits of Musa Basjoo, a root hardy Banana from Japan with plain green leaves. The species produces male and female flowers on the same inflorescence which may extend for over 1 m (3.3 ft). They require full sun, and over the growing season may be watered and feed generously to achieve the best foliage. It is not unknown for them to flower in the UK in exceptionally mild years. This has benefits for UK gardeners as it is arguably the hardiest species behind Musa basjoo and Ensete lasiocarpa. They are followed by inedible green fruit. The plant we are selling are unusual twin stem large plants ideal for indoor or outdoor growing. Large cream to yellow flowers may appear in summer on mature plants. This banana can be grown in all 50 states. Musa basjoo, can be left in situ over winter, although we do recommend that plants are wrapped to protect from cold weather. Three or four inches of soil over the roots helps. Japanese Banana is a fine choice for the garden, but it is also a good selection for planting in outdoor pots and containers.