No butter and no oil! They’re just as decadent and chocolaty as that chocolate mug cake mix looked, yet these are far more sensibly portioned… And they also have no butter, oil, dairy, refined flour or sugar! With that little baking history out of the way… Now wet’s go over how to make the best ever healthy chocolate biscotti! Blend oil and sugar. However, while classic biscotti recipes often use almond extract, I decided to break with tradition again and use vanilla in these healthy double chocolate biscotti. Recipes for biscotti date back as far as the 13th century in Italy. Required fields are marked *. Now that you’ve mixed together your cookie dough, it’s time to shape and bake it! They really were still delicious, so it’s probably worth it to me for them to be less calories so I can have more, lol! Drizzle these twice-baked fig biscotti with white chocolate for added sweetness. The size and shape of the rectangular log actually matters a lot! }, My Health Journey: The Secrets I Was Too Ashamed To Share, 2 tbsp (28g) finely diced dark chocolate (see Notes! Grab a glass of milk because we're about to dunk peanut butter cookies, oatmeal-raisin cookies, snickerdoodle cookies, and many more of our all-time favorite cookie recipes. Normally, I feel incredibly lucky just to find my favorite brand of whole wheat flour! In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg and vanilla extract. I’d love to see your healthy chocolate biscotti! Now, through Amy's Healthy Baking, I teach beginner (and advanced!) Aug 12, 2018 - Pins are Brought to you by North Bayshore Antiques . On a second aisle, I noticed different Valentine’s Day decorations and gifts covering every inch of shelf space. Wreaths made of artificial red roses, white stuffed teddy bears with red hearts as their tummies, tiny tin mailboxes for children’s school classroom Valentine’s card exchanges, garlands of paper letters strung together to spell out “I love you” and “Happy Valentine’s Day”…. ), working from one short end of the rectangle to the other. ), whereas regular whole wheat flour comes from a heartier variety of red wheat. Try these variations: Use 1/2 teaspoon of either vanilla or anise extract instead of the almond extract; substitute chopped filberts for almonds; toss in half a cup of mini semi-sweet chocolate chips. (This is why people often dunk them in coffee or tea… The hot liquid softens the cookies so they’re easier to bite into!). Stir in the coconut sugar. We're starting with a classic, Flaky Buttermilk Biscuits. Because of this twice-baked method that normally leaves them dry and hard, biscotti are usually more shelf-stable and will keep much longer than other types of cookies. Form a wide, flattened log (like a flattened loaf shape) out of the dough on the lined baking sheet. For the first bake, you shape the cookie dough into a long and skinny rectangle, about ¾” tall. They’re also 53 calories! (I’ve tried making biscotti with liquid sweeteners like maple syrup instead of coconut or brown sugar, and they had the same spongy texture!) while traveling by land or sea. To slice it, use a sharp serrated knife (aka a bread knife). If your log is too tall and thick, it’ll take much longer to bake. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper In a food processor, pulse the oats into a rough flour. My batter was super dry, almost like a wet ingredient was left out. So overall… I hope this nerdy-ish explanation helped, and I’m so glad you still enjoyed your biscotti!! . View Nutrition Information + Weight Watchers Points, The Ultimate Healthy Crunchy Chocolate Chip Cookies, Healthy Flourless Triple Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies, The Ultimate Healthy Chocolate Sugar Cookies, Healthy One-Bowl Pumpkin Mini Muffins {Eggless & Dairy-Free! After the first trip to the oven, your cookie dough should feel firm and hard on the outside. Regardless of how much time you choose for the second bake, leave your healthy double chocolate biscotti on the baking sheet after removing them from the oven until they’ve completely cooled to room temperature. It doesn’t dissolve or absorb liquid the same way that coconut and brown sugar do, so it makes cookie doughs like this extremely dry. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder. And YES! After a few minutes of cooling — just long enough so you don’t burn your fingers! And oversized coffee mugs covered in X’s, O’s, and dainty hearts that were filled with the ingredients to make microwaved single-serving chocolate mug cakes. Mix in extracts, lemon juice and zest; add eggs. Click here to PIN the recipe and save it for later! in Baking· Chocolate· Clean Eating· Cookies· Desserts· Gluten Free· Low Fat· Vegetarian, After nearly running out of everything during one of my recipe testing sessions in the middle of January, I stopped by the store to pick up lots of pantry essentials and baking staples. I’m always happy to help! I don’t have any experience with Truvia’s brown sugar blend, so I’m honestly not sure and don’t want to lead you astray. Coffee 'n' Cream Biscotti. Place the cookies onto the original baking sheet with one cut side facing down and the other cut side facing up. Polenta Biscotti. ♡  Healthy Fudgy Triple Chocolate Cookies ), so those chocolate chunks were still warm and flexible when I sliced the rectangular log into strips after the first bake… And none of the biscotti broke into pieces as a result!