Answer: That God will fight our battles means we do not have to anguish, be anxious, or be discouraged when bad things happen in our lives. I am of the opinion that there is no comparison between the pain of this present time and the glory which we will see in the future. he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he--the Spirit maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God--As the Searcher of hearts, He watches the surging emotions of them in prayer, and knows perfectly what the Spirit means by the groanings which He draws forth within us, because that blessed Intercessor pleads by them only for what God Himself designs to bestow. The glory of Christ is a glory of His perfect humanity and His undiminished deity in one Person. But it was not to perpetuate that wretched state that ye received the Spirit." How that is accomplished comes now to be shown. But this is no mere legal arrangement: it is a union in life; believers, through the indwelling of Christ's Spirit in them, having one life with Him, as truly as the head and the members of the same body have one life. Years after Samuel's ministry was established, David rose to restore the glory of God back to its rightful place (see 2 Sam. 7. 18. Also from the appearance of His waist and upward I saw, as it were, the color of amber with the appearance of fire all around within it; and from the appearance of His waist and downward I saw, as it were, the appearance of fire with brightness all around. Romans 3:23 says all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. “My strength shall be as my day … Romans 8:18 (RSVA) This working of all things for good is done quite naturally to "them that love God," because such souls, persuaded that He who gave His own Son for them cannot but mean them well in all His procedure, learn thus to take in good part whatever He sends them, however trying to flesh and blood: and to them who are the called, according to "His purpose," all things do in the same intelligible way "work together for good"; for, even when "He hath His way in the whirlwind," they see "His chariot paved with love" ( Solomon 3:10 ). There is an enmity of one creature to another. the complete surrender of our entire lives to His glory and loving service, Romans 12:1) because of both who He is and what He has done. "Those who He foreknew would repent and believe," say Pelagians of every age and every hue. The Spirit of adoption was not then plentifully poured out. The meaning is, that whereas the law was powerless to secure its own fulfilment for the reason given, God took the method now to be described for attaining that end. The sufferings we have now are nothing compared to the great glory that will be shown to us. We may know our real state and character by inquiring whether we have the Spirit of God and Christ, or not, ver. by CCCA | Aug 8, 2016 | 2013 Daily Devotionals, Daily Devotional, Resources | 0 comments. (3) To whatever conformity to the Son of God in dignity and glory, believers are or shall hereafter be raised, it will be the joy of everyone of them, as it is most fitting, "that in all things He should have the pre-eminence" ( Colossians 1:18 ), ( Romans 8:29 ). Likewise the Spirit also, &c.--or, "But after the like manner doth the Spirit also help. But how are we to conceive of this intercession? (40) And this is the will of him that sent me. for it is not subject--"doth not submit itself." "If ye do not kill sin, it will kill you." that he might be the first-born among many brethren--"The First-born," the Son by nature; His "many brethren," sons by adoption: He, in the Humanity of the Only-begotten of the Father, bearing our sins on the accursed tree; they in that of mere men ready to perish by reason of sin, but redeemed by His blood from condemnation and wrath, and transformed into His likeness: He "the First-born from the dead"; they "that sleep in Jesus," to be in due time "brought with Him"; "The First-born," now "crowned with glory and honor"; His "many brethren," "when He shall appear, to be like Him, for they shall see Him as He is.". we cry, Abba, Father--The word "cry" is emphatic, expressing the spontaneousness, the strength, and the exuberance of the final emotions. A certain time. In Shakespeare’s Henry V, King Henry exemplifies manliness in action as he rallies his army against the highly skilled French knights.In his “Saint Crispin’s Day” speech, Henry V speaks of glory, honor, and brotherhood- all ideals that inspire even the most despairing and downtrodden of men. . Romans 8:18 (HNV) Kehillah in Rome 8:18 (OJB) I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us. For, &c.--"The apostle, fired with the thought of the future glory of the saints, pours forth this splendid passage, in which he represents the whole creation groaning under its present degradation, and looking and longing for the revelation of this glory as the end and consummation of its existence" [HODGE]. Then farewell, all this world accounts most valuable. Question: "Does Hebrews 6:4-6 mean we can lose our salvation?" 15. For thus they reason:If such be the drops, what will the ocean be? For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us. Rather than being proud about something we have done, we ought to glory in what God has done. It was 1893; the glory days when a single miner could make his fortune, or at least support himself with pick and pan, were gone. For they that are after the flesh--that is, under the influence of the fleshly principle. For--a mere particle of transition here [THOLUCK], like "but" or "now." How vastly different are the sentence of the word and the sentiment of the world, concerning the sufferings of this present time! Whatever believers may be separated from, enough remains. (18-25) Their assistance from the Spirit in prayer. which have the first-fruits of the Spirit--or, "the Spirit as the first-fruits" of our full redemption (compare 2 Corinthians 1:22 ), moulding the heart to a heavenly frame and attempering it to its future element. The love of God, ruling in the hearts of those who once were enemies to him, proves that they have been called according to his purpose. Yet this deplorable state of the creation is in hope. For I consider that the sufferings of the present time are not worthy [to be compared] with the glory that is about to be revealed to us. You didn't have any worries in the world. Also it refers to that spirit of bondage, under which many saints were at their conversion. I do not mean that the promise varies but adapts itself to all our changes. (10-17) Their hopeful prospects under tribulations. But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord. Thus whom he did predestinate, them he also called--The word "called" (as HODGE and others truly observe) is never in the Epistles of the New Testament applied to those who have only the outward invitation of the Gospel (as in Matthew 20:16 , 22:14 ). Whom he justified, them he also glorified. If God be for us, who can be against us?--If God be resolved and engaged to bring us through, all our enemies must be His; and "Who would set the briers and thorns against Him in battle? Every providence tends to the spiritual good of those that love God; in breaking them off from sin, bringing them nearer to God, weaning them from the world, and fitting them for heaven. (2) The sanctification of believers, as it has its whole foundation in the atoning death, so it has its living spring in the indwelling of the Spirit of Christ ( Romans 8:2-4 ). )The common text has inserted the opening words of these verses. And I deem, that the passions of this time be not worthy to the glory to coming [be not even worthy to the glory to come], that shall be showed in us. If any habitually live according to corrupt lustings, they will certainly perish in their sins, whatever they profess. THIRD: Triumphant Summary of the Whole Argument ( Romans 8:28-39 ). "As we struggle to express in articulate language the desires of our hearts and find that our deepest emotions are the most inexpressible, we 'groan' under this felt inability. God never changes. Philippians 4:19 Parallel Verses [⇓ See commentary ⇓] Philippians 4:19, NIV: "And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus." This example is from Wikipedia and may be reused under a CC BY-SA license. God is very sensitive and gets angry when He finds His people being cheated or robbed. We tend to imagine an idol worshipper lying prostrate before a carved image. In what sense are we to take the word "foreknow" here? In what sense this is meant will appear in next chapter. Moreover--"And," or "Now"; explanatory of Romans 8:29 --In "predestinating us to be conformed to the image of His Son" in final glory, He settled all the successive steps of it. Please do a check up in this regard. Understand Christ's Sonship thus, and the language of Scripture regarding it is intelligible and harmonious; but take it to be an artificial relationship, ascribed to Him in virtue either of His miraculous birth, or His resurrection from the dead, or the grandeur of His works, or all of these together--and the passages which speak of it neither explain of themselves nor harmonize with each other. FIRST: The Sanctification of Believers ( Romans 8:1-13 ). (1-9) Their privileges as being the children of God. Remember that Jesus said, “Give unto Caesar what is Caesar’s and unto God what is God’s.” From the story of Hophni and Phinehas, sons of Prophet Eli, we note that they took God’s offering and sacrifices and made them theirs. For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which will be revealed toward us. This means that the great final hope of the Christian is not to die and be freed from our bodies, but to be raised with new, glorious bodies, or, best of all, to be alive at the second coming so that we do not have to lose our body temporarily and be “naked” (souls without bodies, cf. In this view the use of both words here has a charming simplicity and warmth. For the creature--"the creation." he that raised up Christ from the dead--Observe the change of name from Jesus, as the historical Individual whom God raised from the dead, to CHRIST, the same Individual, considered as the Lord and Head of all His members, or of redeemed Humanity [ALFORD]. 9. There is an impurity, deformity, and infirmity, which has come upon the creature by the fall of man. I consider that what we suffer at this present time cannot be compared at all with the glory that is going to be revealed to us. It has brought on the woes of earth; it has kindled the flames of hell. Scarcely, because both "foreknowledge" and "foreordination" are here mentioned, and the one as the cause of the other. (7) If there could be any doubt as to the meaning of the all-important word "JUSTIFICATION" in this Epistle--whether, as the Church of Rome teaches, and many others affirm, it means "infusing righteousness into the unholy, so as to make them righteous," or, according to Protestant teaching, "absolving, acquitting, or pronouncing righteous the guilty" Romans 8:33 ought to set such doubt entirely at rest. All things, all which can be the causes or means of any real good to the faithful Christian. Romans 8:18 (CEBA) But he tempers this by the bright alternative, that if they do, through the Spirit, mortify the deeds of the body, such a course will infallibly terminate in "life" everlasting. 10, 11. These three issues affect the spirit, soul and body and if they’re not properly dealt with the glory begin to leak away until a person is left with nothing. God, &c.--The sentence is somewhat imperfect in its structure, which occasions a certain obscurity. Grace in the soul is its new nature; the soul is alive to God, and has begun its holy happiness which shall endure for ever. (7) As prayer is the breath of the spiritual life, and the believer's only effectual relief under the "infirmity" which attaches to his whole condition here below, how cheering is it to be assured that the blessed Spirit, cognizant of it all, comes in aid of it all; and in particular, that when believers, unable to articulate their case before God, can at times do nothing but lie "groaning" before the Lord, these inarticulate groanings are the Spirit's own vehicle for conveying into "the ears of the Lord of Sabaoth" their whole case; and come up before the Hearer of prayer as the Spirit's own intercession in their behalf, and that they are recognized by Him that sitteth on the Throne, as embodying only what His own "will" determined before to bestow upon them ( Romans 8:26 Romans 8:27 )! (See 2 Corinthians 11:11-33 , 1 Corinthians 4:10-13 ). She named the boy Ichabod, saying, “The glory has departed from Israel”– because of the capture of the ark of God and the deaths of her father-in-law and her husband. was made subject to vanity, not willingly--that is, through no natural principle of decay. (4) It cannot but swell the heart of every intelligent Christian to think that if external nature has been mysteriously affected for evil by the fall of man, it only awaits his completed recovery, at the resurrection, to experience a corresponding emancipation from its blighted condition into undecaying life and unfading beauty ( Romans 8:19-23 ). And this, it seems, was a "household word," a "known" thing, among believers. 11. God showed abhorrence of sin by the sufferings of his Son in the flesh, that the believer's person might be pardoned and justified. For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us. He cannot experience the joy and confidence flowing from his election without the humility which" the consideration of its being gratuitous must produce; nor can he have the peace of one who is justified without the holiness of one who is saved" ( Romans 8:29 Romans 8:30 ) [HODGE]. The apostle, personifying creation, represents it as only submitting to the vanity with which it was smitten, on man's account, in obedience to that superior power which had mysteriously linked its destinies with man's. Meaning: "war may seem pleasant to those who have never been involved in it, though the experienced know better". What shall we then say to these things?--"We can no farther go, think, wish" [BENGEL]. Why, what we now suffer I count as nothing in comparison with the glory which is soon to be manifested in us. heirs of God--of our Father's kingdom. 5:6 ) sanctified soul is a living soul; and that life is peace. The Spirit, as an enlightening Spirit, teaches us what to pray for; as a sanctifying Spirit, works and stirs up praying graces; as a comforting Spirit, silences our fears, and helps us over all discouragements. For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us. Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh--"Once we were sold under sin ( Romans 7:14 ); but now that we have been set free from that hard master and become servants to Righteousness ( Romans 6:22 ), we owe nothing to the flesh, we disown its unrighteous claims and are deaf to its imperious demands." God is deserving of the highest honor (i.e. Salem Media Group. Romans 8:18 (RHE) For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is going to be revealed to us. So then--nearly equivalent to "And so." As a matter of fact he had no business with Delilah in the first place. Be not (then) as the horse, or as the mule," &c. (2) "The spirit of bondage," to which many Protestants are "all their lifetime subject," and the "doubtsome faith" which the Popish Church systematically inculcates, are both rebuked here, being in direct and painful contrast to that "spirit of adoption," and that witness of the Spirit, along with our own spirit, to the fact of our sonship, which it is here said the children of God, as such, enjoy ( Romans 8:15 Romans 8:16 ). Going down nostalgia lane and reminiscing your school days maybe, or just aching for one last moment to visit your first girlfriends house, or the house where you grew up. I don't think the sufferings we are going through now are even worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed to us in the future. 17. Glorious assurance! The scriptures make it clear that it is better for a millstone to be tied to the neck of that person and for that person to be drowned than for such person to deceive God’s people. with him also--rather, "also with Him." When God-appointed men are placed in leadership, their first agenda is to make sure the glory of the Lord is restored and dwelling where it … to fear--as under the law which "worketh wrath," that is, "Such was your condition before ye believed, living in legal bondage, haunted with incessant forebodings under a sense of unpardoned sin. Answer: That God will fight our battles means we do not have to anguish, be anxious, or be discouraged when bad things happen in our lives. You'll be encouraged with great insight as you read this word. ", 29. Which way go our plans and contrivances? but "Christ's love to us," as is clear from the closing words of the chapter, which refer to the same subject. How to use unaware in a sentence. For I reckon, that the sufferings of this present time [are] not worthy [to be compared] with the glory which shall be revealed in us. Because the carnal mind is enmity against God--The desire and pursuit of carnal ends is a state of enmity to God, wholly incompatible with true life and peace in the soul. We'll send you an email with steps on how to reset your password. “My strength shall be as my day … Proud member The problem is always with man, particularly in the area of consistency and sticking to the original plan. Sharp, solemn statement this! I have also seen people lose the glory, both in scriptures and around me. For I reckon that the yisurim (suffering) of zman hazeh (of this present time) are not to be compared with the coming kavod (glory) to be revealed in us. The more we know of other things, the less we wonder; but the further we are led into gospel mysteries, the more we are affected by them. I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us. This "sets us free," as soon as it takes possession of our inner man, "from the law of sin and death" that is, from the enslaving power of that corrupt principle which carries death in its bosom. if so be that we suffer--"provided we be suffering with Him." When everything was easy. For I reckon that the sufferings of the present time [are] not worthy [to be compared] with the glory about to be revealed in us; The freedom of believers from condemnation. Hence it is called "sitting on the right hand of Power" ( Matthew 26:64 ), and "sitting on the right hand of the Majesty on high" ( Hebrews 1:3 ) [PHILIPPI]. What we are suffering now is nothing compared with the glory that will be shown in us. Only the word conversion expresses the change of character which then takes place, whereas this "calling" expresses the divine authorship of the change, and the sovereign power by which we are summoned, Matthew-like, Zaccheus-like, out of our old, wretched, perishing condition, into a new, safe, blessed life. who is even--"also" at the right hand of God--The right hand of the king was anciently the seat of honor (compare 1 Samuel 20:25 , 1 Kings 2:19 , Psalms 45:9 ), and denoted participation in the royal power and glory ( Matthew 20:21 ). Yea, rather that is risen again. Please enter your email address associated with your Salem All-Pass account, then click Continue. 19-22. I consider that what we suffer at this present time cannot be compared at all with the glory that is going to be revealed to us. Establish definition is - to institute (something, such as a law) permanently by enactment or agreement. 23. When it seems a situation is hopeless or the matter at hand is too overwhelming, we may be tempted to doubt God. (8) If there could be any reasonable doubt in what light the death of Christ is to be regarded in this Epistle, Romans 8:34 ought to set that doubt entirely at rest. Yet, the command is much broader than that. The apostle had before called us "sons of God," referring to our adoption; here the word changes to "children," referring to our new birth. Believers have been brought into a state of safety; but their comfort consists rather in hope than in enjoyment. so far are they from "separating us from Christ's love," that it is just "through Him that loved us" that we are victorious over them. The glory of Christ is a glory of His perfect humanity and His undiminished deity in one Person. (9) What an affecting view of the love of Christ does it give us to learn that His greatest nearness to God and most powerful interest with Him--as "seated on His right hand"--is employed in behalf of His people here below ( Romans 8:34 )! And--or, "Moreover," or "Now"; noting a transition to a new particular. At last you must part, for you must die. He is there, making intercession. Matthew 10:28; Revelation 6:9; Hebrews 12:23) until the resurrection. (It thus appears that to be "in the spirit" means here to be under the dominion of our own renewed mind; because the indwelling of God's Spirit is given as the evidence that we are "in the spirit"). Whom he did predestinate, them he also called. In some places the word refers to the manifestations and insignia of rank and power, as in the familiar phrase, "Solomon in all his glory" (Matthew 6:29), or the glory of the kingdoms of the world (Matthew 4:8), or the glory of the kings and nations of the earth which shall be brought into the heavenly city (Revelation 21:24,26). dulce est desipere in loco: It is sweet on occasion to play the fool. Going from Glory to Glory makes no reference to the process of a Christian or the gradual change into holiness. You may even live to see and seek your parting. Nor would the other sense harmonize with the scope of the chapter, which is to exhibit the ample ground of the believer's confidence in Christ. Those who stand out against the gospel call, abide under guilt and wrath. In every case it is sad and pitiful. For--as touching this "calling according to his purpose" ( Romans 8:28 ). 9. I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory about to be revealed to us. You may be removed from pleasant dwellings, and friends, and estates. condemned sin--"condemned it to lose its power over men" [BEZA, BENGEL, FRASER, MEYER, THOLUCK, PHILIPPI, ALFORD]. By the Spirit the law of love is written upon the heart, and though the righteousness of the law is not fulfilled by us, yet, blessed be God, it is fulfilled in us; there is that in all true believers, which answers the intention of the law. in the likeness of sinful flesh--literally, "of the flesh of sin"; a very remarkable and pregnant expression. How careful then should they be not to "grieve the Holy Spirit of God" ( Ephesians 4:30 )! The Holy Spirit is the spring of all desires toward God, which are often more than words can utter. Verses 1-9 Believers may be chastened of the Lord, but will not be condemned with the world. Romans 8:18 (MSG) "Take now (said the Lord to Abraham) thy son, thine only, whom thou lovest, and . For there the apostle's question is, Who shall "condemn" God's elect, since "Christ died" for them; showing beyond all doubt (as PHILIPPI justly argues) that it was the expiatory (character of that death which the apostle had in view). That the righteousness of the law--"the righteous demand," "the requirement" [ALFORD], Or "the precept" of the law; for it is not precisely the word so often used in this Epistle to denote "the righteousness which justifies" ( Romans 1:17 , 3:21 , Romans 4:5 Romans 4:6 , Romans 5:17 Romans 5:18 Romans 5:21 ), but another form of the same word, intended to express the enactment of the law, meaning here, we believe, the practical obedience which the law calls for. “For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection…” (Romans 6:5) For one this may mean giving up a successful career to live a more humble and simple life, and thus, be more available for service to God. Reasons for the loss of God’s Glory (Ichabod) 1 Samuel 4:19-21 – His daughter-in-law, the wife of Phinehas, was pregnant and near the time of delivery.When she heard the news that the ark of God had been captured and that her father-in-law and her husband were dead, she went into labor and gave birth, but was overcome by her labor pains. to be conformed to the image of his Son--that is, to be His sons after the pattern, model, or image of His Sonship in our nature. Romans 8:18 (NIV) Romans 8:18 (LEB) As she was dying, the women attending her said, “Don’t despair; you have given birth to a son.” But she did not respond or pay any attention. All rights reserved. (8) Whatever professions of spiritual life men may make, it remains eternally true that "if we live after the flesh we shall die," and only "if we through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body we shall live" ( Romans 8:13 , and compare Galatians 6:7 Galatians 6:8 , Ephesians 5:6 , Philippians 3:18 Philippians 3:19 , 1 John 3:7 1 John 3:8 ).