I decided last fall to plant a single row of Norway Spruce along the driveway for privacy purposes (hide my neighbor's junk). In Finland fences made of Picea abies are extremely popular. All Rights Reserved. Plant the Norway spruce trees 6 feet apart in rows, with the rows being 8 feet apart when using three rows. Put the tv in the nook section, art over the fp with a mantel tying it to the built-in, and move your sofa into the corner so the room will open up. They are 5' B&B trees. Also if you planted 50 a certain percentage will not make it. But given your situation and goals there for a screen, 15 feet will do just fine. And while this species does grow in Norway, the name is a bit of a misnomer. You are overthinking it. This tree should be given plenty of room and is ideal for spaces needing a fast growing screen. Older spruces can be planted after the first hard frost. Planting: Avoid planting your Norway Spruce too close to sidewalks, buildings, or street right-of-ways.It's best to plant the tree as soon as you bring it home from the nursery, but it's important to avoid planting the tree during extremely dry weather and to give it at least six weeks to develop before the first frost of the season. If you cannot plant an older spruce in early spring consider planting it in the late summer or early fall. Plant as many as you can, the least six to seven tiny plants (3-4 yr old seedlings) on a metre, let them grow, and remove the weakest plants from time to time, so that the strongest can thrive and in the end one plant on 3 metres is left.They will be tight and green for- and backwards and grown together as tight in the row. I planted them 13' away from my driveway. Hi All:I did a lot of reading on this forum last summer concerning Norway spruce spacing. After that my lot opens and my driveway drifts away from my property line. Do one a year and use it for a Christmas tree. Especially when the trees have grown tight together and fast upwards, they tend to brake or fall in stronger storms (over 150 km/h) like matches when they grow on shallow grounds or for example in thick loam/ clay soils. The study also revealed that using smaller stands, such as a 5-by-5 foot square, was only productive using good soil in moist climates; the poorer ground required larger spaced stands. Anything is possible and we never know what the weather is going to do, but everywhere I look here in windy Wisconsin are big, old NS, which not only haven't been torn out of the ground by the wind, they appear to have never sufferered any appreciable weather-related damage whatsoever! The root system of the tree grows close to the soils surface which makes growing grass or other plants around the Norway spruce difficult. I'm not spruceman, but I've probably planted more NS than anyone else on this forum. However, its large mature size must be considered when siting this plant. Design Ideas Very cold-hardy, this Spruce is the perfect symmetrically shaped Christmas tree. I wouldn't recommend planting them any closer than 7-8 feet apart, and would allow 10 feet between rows. I am a young guy (35) and I am a patient guy, so I'm happy to wait 5-10 years for them to grow/fill out. It cannot be recommended for really poor, shallow or dry soils. Considerations when Planting a Norway Spruce. Tree distances from septic drainfield for Red Spruce… But that would most likely lead to some irregular spacing. Norway Spruce is the ideal choice for a hedgerow in my location. The study also revealed that using smaller stands, such as a 5-by-5 foot square, was only productive using good soil in moist climates; the poorer ground required larger spaced stands. I feel that about 20ô is best.That way individual plant has enough foliage in long run to stay healty and less need for replacements. The following are just to help exemplify how that happens- you will want to choose colours that look well with your exposed view of the next room: I've chosen a hexagon tile for you,for its suggestion of texture and movement ( the Coltrane is also nice, though I think you can enjoy more of a statement here, as the back wall is a destination point).