Are we relying on the honor system ? Striped bass may not be caught, harassed or possessed in the Exclusive Economic Zone, which stretches from 3–200 miles off the coast. Where are the game wardens? Beginning this spring, striped bass anglers on the Hudson River won’t be allowed to keep striped bass 40 inches or longer. All you have to do is look at the charts of the B-2 discards generated by the commercial industry versus the recreational and you will see where the problem lies. Statewide regulations apply to all public fresh waters except locations noted in the Exceptions to Statewide Freshwater Harvest Regulations. Striped Bass. If you were on a deserted island size limit, catch limit, slot size, etc wouldn’t matter anymore. This type of system works like a charm for speckled seatrout in FL. Commercial guys are the ones absolutely killing everything they need to make a living they scooped everything off the bottom and we’re talkin about a guy with a hook a single hook. I always encourage the couple of guys that want to keep one to make it a small 28-30″ fish. CHANGES IN STRIPED BASS RECREATIONAL SIZE LIMITS May 18, 2000 For more information contact: Thomas Baum at 609-748-2020 A bill was recently signed into law modifying the recreational striped bass size limits for New Jersey waters. Saltwater Fishing Limits; Species Minimum Size Limits (Total Length in Inches) (1) Possession Limits (Number of Fish) Open Seasons; Winter Flounder: 12: 2: April 1 - May 30: Striped Bass: Hudson River (north of George Washington Bridge) Slot size: 18 - 28 (not less than 18" nor greater than 28") 1: April 1 - Nov 30: Striped Bass: marine waters Enforcement is hard but it would be a lot easier if it was as cut and dry, if you see someone with a fish its breaking the law. In Boston the first public school was apparently built by revenues from the sale of striped bass, so they are part of our national history and must be protected. It is a good start. Statewide Regulations. The entire atmosphere at the canal sucks now. Size Limit (TL) Possession: Restrictions: Atlantic Ocean : Charlton.Godwin@ ncdenr.gov 800-338-7805: Year round: 28” Minimum size: 1 Striped Bass per person per day: Landing Tags required May through October. It was dark, so I didn’t have to see the dead fish float by me when he “let it go”. The locals?? Jim Gilmore, the state Department of Environmental Conservation’s director of marine resources, announced New York’s new regulations to achieve the 18 percent reduction goal, which have been approved by the Fisheries Commission. Commercial needs to be better regulated to prevent catch and sell on off days. What makes makes Maryland and Virginia. Major Problem in the long Island Sound last year was the lack of Blue fish. Description Originally native to the eastern seaboard of the US and Canada, from the St. Lawrence River to Louisiana.Introduced to Arizona in 1959. It was caught off the North Carolina coast in 1891. The largest striped bass on record weighed 125 pounds and was caught in a seine net in North Carolina in 1891. whiskey tango foxtrot ? Social media and I immigration is coming 2 a head on acc and I personally carry a aluminum bat with me on the bike or not.Wen someone tries 2 mug me on a comm day wrong !!!! I would also recommend restricting the number of lines per person to one especially during trophy seasons. Period . Aside from the back and forth, how would any regulation be enforced. There are other fisheries. Maybe massachusetts can do this in 2019 rather than wait a year. On the other hand, poachers and commercial fishermen are big problems. Concord, NH – Rule changes governing the harvest of striped bass and bluefish went into effect on January 30, 2020. The PCBs and contaminants that polluted so many of heir waterways and habitats seem to have been addressed because the bio mass roared back after the 1970s and schools of striped bass grew into huge numbers and the species was healthy again, so I am told. Begin with at 28 inches for everyone. Unless anglers take responsibility in this area, arguably the fish you kill for the table may be the least damaging aspect of our sport with regards to sustainability. It doesn’t make any sense. I see it every year up and down the Hudson River. I hate to catch and release fish that are of edible size because they taste so good, especially when you have a gourmet cook as a son who also loves fishing and eating the fish. Unlike smallmouth and largemouth which belong to the sunfish family, stripers are a true bass. On the other hand the fresh water hybrid striped bass are thriving so there you go. Rec and commercial. The emergency regulations reduce the commercial 2020 striped bass quota for Delaware to 142,474 pounds. The striped bass prefers to spawn among the rocky rapids near the “fall line” where rivers make the transition from the hilly piedmont to the relatively flat coastal plain. No more commercial fishing of stripers. The states may make STRICTER limits but that’s it. However, the average expected size is between 5 to 10 pounds. The chesapeake doesn’t have many adult bass during the summer and fall. Heres an idea ..if you really want to save the striped bass population…absolutely no commercial fishing for 3 years!..PERIOD!!! Two hooks max no trebles. Hopefully this is not the case this year. Most of the lawmakers have never fished-you know better. To increase the size of the fish to a larger fish is absolutely ridiculous. Striped bass (Morone saxatilis) - Native. They are: *One fish per day can be kept measuring 18-28 inches on the Hudson River. Minimum Size. There is no Colorado River striped bass size limit, and the daily bag and possession limit is 10 fish. 28″ is easy to come by in the canal and on certain days schools of thousands of 30lbers are decimated. It would make more sense to make striper fishing illegal during the spawning season and open it after all the “cows” have laid their eggs. It has helped the redfish population in the South. Long ago I gave up meat fishing. Completely agree to not keeping anything over 35 let the breeders go. Jimmy Samia of Ace Charters, guides on the upper Hudson from about 10 miles south of Albany down to New Baltimore. In Chesapeake Bay, the minimum size would have to increase from 19″ to 21″ in Maryland, and from 20″ to 22″ in Virginia. “I was booked up for this whole season before January. Keep what you need and release the remainder healthy. The result is less instances of gut-hooked fish, which often can kill a fish after it is released. I love the idea of a larger limit, but everywhere, NC to ME. There should be a person at every gate or parking area checking people and there car on the way out to see if people are taking legal fish and only taking one home. Your email address will not be published. Raising the limit to 35 and 1 fish will bring us back to the mid 90’s by 2022…..that’s quality fishing. I agree strongly,make the whole east coast the same size range for a keeper. Hey Striped Bass Technical Committee (TC), what’s the reason behind ignoring the obvious impact of decimating brood stocks in Maryland and Virginia. Great wooden plugs that are machine made or hand made cost $20.00+. *One fish can be kept measuring 28-35 inches on marine waters (and the Delaware River). i been at this for 40 years open to close to open seasons form 16/inch to 38 inch its all about the money it became big business for all for state to government to tackle shops to on line 2 fish at 28 inch was nuts it made more money for ever one that make money from it now to 36 inch this will hurt all business that makes a livening from it too the fishermen who fish for stripers to throws that love to fish keep fishing it will come around again release all keep whats legal go to all regulation hearing clubs send your layers take a stand that your rights keep fighting but keep fishing. Have a question or suggested story concerning the Upstate NY outdoors scene? DMF has made three changes to its recreational striped bass regulations for 2020: A slot limit has been implemented. If they can show me scientific evidence that does not include surveys which by the way is not science then I will start listening and believing them. That fish that gets dragged up the beach has a considerably reduced likelihood of survival compared to one caught by an angler wearing waders who never lets the fish touch land. There should be slot limits and the regulations should apply to ALL states that fish for striped bass! It’s these idiots we need to clamp down on. This striped bass went for a 2oz bucktail. the limit, 28, 35, whatever, should be universal. At the Fisheries Commission’s Feb. 4 annual winter meeting, representatives from the member states were asked to present their plans. But there are other problems mortality problems out there that have to be addressed some how… I don’t have an answer, but you guys might have some thoughts….here’s the story: One needs to look at the rest of the world to gain insite on this age old topic. The striped bass (Morone saxatilis), also called Atlantic striped bass, striper, linesider, rock or rockfish, is an anadromous perciform fish of the family Moronidae found primarily along the Atlantic coast of North America. a. I would do that by making a 1 fish per day slot 20” to but not over 28”, coast wide. And a much larger percentage of fish in the 18-28 inch range are males. I see people take a fish and then throw it away or let it float down river when they get a bigger one. Multiple treble hooks are often another fish killer…. The commercial fishermen blame the recreational fisherman, and the recreational fishermen blame the commercial fishermen for over fishing. I also think the commercial sector should have to fish a slot limit as well. There has only really been one initiative to address bait or herring after a moratorium on them made catching and keeping river herring a crime and even possession became a crime. Politicizing a natural resource leads to two things, the demise of that resource, and the demise of that industry based upon that resource. TC, your suggestions don’t pass the smell test. What are the experts saying? Way to go keep and up the good work on patrolling at night at the big ditch. The 2020 Striped Bass Bonus Program is open until December 31, 2020. Like Booth, he’s fine with eliminating the trophy fish option on the Hudson, saying he’s always discouraged clients from keeping the big fish. Take what you need. I was in the Housy last night next to a kid who was obvious new to the game. Why are plugs still be sold with two and three trebles on them? Make all states the same 28-35″ fish one per outing. A striped bass that is 36 inches long normally is about 12 years old. STONE CRAB CLAWS (J) 2 ¾" Propodus Length. Striped bass: All year, except catch & release only on spawning grounds Apr 1 – May 31. It raised the size limit on striped bass from 28 to 36 inches, which the commission hopes will reduce the number of fish released back into the water. You have 75% of the migrating fish passing through it. Sign up for our FREE Fishing Reports Today! “I was always opposed to the 40-inch rule. My understanding is that the large fish, 25,35, 45 lb+ are the Egg laying Females? If you want to keep a fish, keep one when you cacth a keeper off a beach, which is 1000x harder to do than in the canal. I think a 1 per day 25” to 30” recreational slot limit would be workable. NYS DEC photo. Permitted for-hire vessels may fillet striped bass … It is my opinion that the goals and targets that governed the striper fishery since the moratorium are totally off focus. They found that while keeping the bag limit at one fish and without changing season lengths, an increase in minimum size limit from 28 inches to 35 inches would achieve a 17.5% reduction. And how about actual enforcement…. Creel limits, coupled with slot mentioned throughout this blog are good first steps. The most damage i think is done by people who just dont want to follow the rules or dont buy a license to fish. Capt. Here in Maryland, we figured out this problem several years ago, and took proactive action in reducing our size limit to 19 in and using a circle hook to obtain the proper conservation equivalents. Most anglers in that region would never get an occasional fish dinner if the size limit was higher. No reason it won’t work for stripers. I also agree with the circle hook mandate, and would support eliminating trebles as well. These so called scientists have no scientific evidence how many fish are caught/ kept or released. Great idea Vince . Whoever decides these things, I hope they make some good laws that really make a lot of and consider everyone’s input, but that’s not likely to happen anytime soon from the looks of things and ongoing investigations in Congress. Whether circle hooks, no live bait , slot limits, poachers, night warriors, etc. Catch and release i say, How about just a slot limit 28-34, save the big breeders. There should be a slot 28 to 34 everywhere except the canal and spawning areas where there should be strict catch and release. New proposed striped bass regulations in New York State? Most catch and release. Next 5 years . The new size limits are the result of efforts to foster declining striped bass stocks along the eastern seaboard. The rationale being eliminating the trophy fish option on the Hudson is that a large percentage of stripers in the 40-plus inch size range in the Hudson are females, loaded with eggs. The people I take out, only about 10 percent even keep a fish. I have already had seals take fish off my line. Leave all the big bass to breed. It’s hard to understand why they are not. He said the new regulation shouldn’t impact his business. It has also been widely introduced into inland recreational fisheries across the United States. The rule is what is known as a slot limit, because it sets a minimum size and maximum size for fish that can be kept. DEC is still reviewing input from anglers and others collected during public meetings and other input received and may consider closing the season early in the Hudson River, prior to Nov. 30.