If using braiser/Dutch oven place the browned pork in the simmering liquid, cover and transfer to the oven. If using a pan, transfer the liquid to a roasting pan, add the pork and cover with foil, then transfer to the oven. Pork Roast with Apples, Beer, and Sauerkraut, Congrats! Sprinkle sauerkraut, apples, and onions with brown sugar. Alternatively you can select country style ribs or pork collar (the latter is a bit harder to come across). pork loin , 1 quart sauerkraut , 28 oz. It's a keeper! Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Place salt pork in a non-reactive dutch oven or stew pot over medium low heat and gently render fat until lardons are browned. This easy pork and sauerkraut recipe will give you tender meat with tons of flavor and perhaps some good luck. Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Bake in the preheated oven until roast is tender and pan juices are reduced, 3 to 4 hours. I loved this recipe. Hi! Step 3. Sauerkraut is one of my favorite things so I’m loving the sound of this! Happy to be the first of what I think will be many 5 star reviews! It can be difficult with this recipe. Never again. Pair with a malty, dark beer with toasty, bready notes to counter the acidity of the sauerkraut or a rich red wine. https://www.thespruceeats.com/pork-chop-and-sauerkraut-bake-recipe-3059425 In a large dutch oven over medium-high heat, heat oil. 2 ½ pounds (1.44 kg) pork loin back ribs,cut into 2-3 rib portions. Remember to keep your portions under control. Alsatian Dressed Sauerkraut (Choucroute Garnie) Pat the pork dry and sprinkle the entire roast with salt, pepper and smoked paprika. Soooo my kind of dish right here, Milena!! If the pork shoulder has a layer of fat, cut the fat in a diamond crosshatch pattern to help it render. I just made this recipe as described although I had a slightly smaller roast. I also made homemade egg noodles . This one is going on our DNR list - Do Not Repeat. Add the 2nd can of beer if too dry. Sprinkle with the brown sugar and caraway seeds. Goes well with sweet potatoes, baked beans, or corn. Pour most of beer over all. Ingredients. I ended up pulling out the meat and tried to salvage it by making dumplings to fry in with the meat. Drizzle oil on the bottom of the Dutch Oven. All that buttery sauerkraut goodness would go on top of a pork roast and into a low oven until fall apart tender. My husband loves it! can beer 3-4 lbs. This is hands down the most flavorful pork and sauerkraut recipe I have tasted or made. Thanks Matty! Looks hearty and tasty! The combo of pork apple onion and beer is right on! TIP: Use a braiser or a Dutch oven for best results. Instructions. 4 cups (1 kg) well drained … Cover the Dutch oven and lower the heat. 7. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. I shop by store sales. 12 oz (360 ml) can beer. You saved Pork Roast with Apples, Beer, and Sauerkraut to your. Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. But switching up your side dishes can bring a refreshing change to a classic comfort food dish. Rub spice mixture onto roast. The best cut of pork to use in this dish is boneless pork shoulder (aka pork shoulder butt). 338 calories; protein 28.2g 56% DV; carbohydrates 32.5g 11% DV; fat 9.1g 14% DV; cholesterol 79.6mg 27% DV; sodium 671.2mg 27% DV. Cover and simmer slowly for 45 minutes to 1 hour, baste occasionally; do not allow to cook dry. Cook for about 30 minutes, or until the sausages are tender and heated through. Place loin in roasting pan. With over thirty-five years of combined chef and avid home cook experience between us we have you covered! Brown the pieces on all sides (work in batches) and remove from pan. Settle the pork on top and dig it in a little, so it's nestled in all the fruit and veg. Hmm… For as many years as we have enjoyed this dish to start the New Year I cannot state that good luck was inevitably secured by any single member of my family. Once the pork is tender, arrange the drained sauerkraut around it, add a bit more water if necessary and bake for about 20 minutes. 1/4 cup chopped onion. My husband is a sauerkraut lover, so he would be all over this hearty and delicious dish! But why exactly pork and sauerkraut? In a large Dutch oven or glass baking dish, layer the sauerkraut, apples, onions, brown sugar, beer, butter, and bay leaves. Pour the contents of your beer around the sides of the pork so it comes up about 1/2 way up the sides but doesn't submerge it in liquid. 3 lbs boneless pork shoulder or country style ribs, salt and pepper (use liberally, but to taste), 1 cup dark beer (malt forward, low bitterness) or cider to deglaze. Step 2. The roast turned out very tender and everything had a nice taste to it. A low oven temperature is key – slow cooking the pork results in both flavor and tenderness as the fat melts away. Season the ribs with salt and pepper. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. It is really easy to prepare. Use your fingers to mix the salt, brown sugar, and pepper in a small bowl, breaking up any clumps of brown sugar, then sprinkle evenly over the pork … What was left tasted like beer soaked apples and kraut. I also added yams and dusted everything lightly with cinnamon for an extra accent. Pinning! It was always tradition there to have New Year's pork and sauerkraut also . As to the pork – pigs (especially their snouts) have represented good luck in many European cultures for centuries. 1 medium apple, cored, cut into thin wedges. beer, sauerkraut, pepper, garlic powder, country style pork ribs and 1 more Crock Pot Pork Sandwiches with Sweet and Spicy Pineapple Salsa Sugar Dish Me bread, bbq sauce, brown sugar, chili powder, beer, strawberries and 8 more 1 (32-ounce) package sauerkraut, undrained. Cabbage packed in brine during harvest would transform into sauerkraut around the same time. Oops! I made this recipe for our New Years dinner today and my family really enjoyed it. Sprinkle with brown sugar and pour on 1 can of beer cover pan, sealing sides with foil. Lay the smoked pork loin directly on top of the sauerkraut … Your email address will not be published. pork roast, sauerkraut, garlic pepper, beer, soy sauce Indonesian Pork Roast Pork pork loin roast, water, five-spice, garlic, chicken bouillon granules and 6 more Wonderful blend of flavor. *Use good quality naturally fermented kraut. Lightly salt and pepper both sides of the pork roast. 2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar. Pour beer over roast and sauerkraut mixture. I would like to try it with beer next time. Brown the pork before finishing the pork chops in the oven. Thanks for the recipe! Required fields are marked *. two 32 oz jars. 1. Add comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe. It is generously marbled with fat which translates to flavor and juicier meat. Add ribs back in and cover with sauerkraut. Unfortunately I think there are much better ways of getting good flavored pork. Arrange apple and … Saute the onion. Place your pork tenderloin on a work surface (or into a large bowl) and drizzle a teaspoon or two of … There is not much you can do to beautify the dish – it is what it is and its culinary merits most certainly do not derive from its appearance. 5. Easy Peasy. 6. Place pork roast into a large baking dish and scatter sauerkraut around the roast. So I make it every year as well . Add the pork chops and press them into the sauerkraut. Even though you could use lean cuts such as tenderloin or center cut loin – they are easy to overcook and become dry and are not appropriate for this recipe. Accidentally left it in too long but it was completely salvageable. Set aside. Cut larger potatoes in half,sprinkle with salt and pepper,remove the ribs,cut in serving size pieces. My Mom is German so we ate a lot of it growing up, especially with perogies or pork sausage. I made this is the slow cooker instead and it turned out wonderful. I never follow a recipe really , but the meal I made last night was about 2 lbs. Sorry.:(. Alsatian Dressed Sauerkraut (Choucroute Garnie), If you cut the pork into smaller pieces from the get go serving is as easy as scooping the tender meat pieces and sauerkraut onto a plate. 1 (14 oz.) If you are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for personal consumption. Not sure how someone could mess this up! Recipes from Grandma are the best :). Bake in 350 degree oven for 3 to 4 hours depending on size of the roast. Season pork loin with salt and pepper. Thank you for sharing. But, then again, I used two cans of kraut, so that could be the reason. Your email address will not be published. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Seal the pan with foil and bake in 350 degree oven for 3 to 4 hours, depending on size of the roast. Pour undrained sauerkraut on the bottom of your slow cooker. Must find some kraut and surprise him with this one . Amount is based on available nutrient data. Preheat oven to 350°. 2 tablespoons © Copyright 2020, 20 Things to Cook This Month That Have Nothing to Do With Thanksgiving, 15 Vegan Muffin Recipes for Easy Breakfasts, 15 Comfort Food Dinners That Start With Creamy Alfredo Sauce, 2-Ingredient Snacks That Are Too Easy Not to Make, Use Your Stale Bread in These Savory Bread Puddings, 13 Spiked Apple Cider Cocktails to Celebrate the Season, 15 Comfort Food Casseroles Inspired by World Cuisines, 12 Recipes to Turn Extra Chicken into Healthy Main Dish Salads, 15 Ground Beef Soup Recipes for Easy Weeknight Dinners, Ground Turkey Slow Cooker Recipes for Easy Weeknight Meals, 11 Top Chicken Casseroles That Lean to the Healthy Side, 12 Classic Italian Recipes Made Easy in the Instant Pot, Nutrition https://www.thespruceeats.com/pork-steaks-and-sauerkraut-recipe-1136275 Sauerkraut Recipes Round-up If roast, vegetables, and apples seem dry, pour in 1 more can beer. To serve, gently toss sauerkraut with apple and onion quarters and serve with the roast. She would dump the sauerkraut into a colander, rinse it and squeeze all the liquid out a few times. Poor wine over top. TIP: You can cook the entire pork roast piece, slice it into thick pork chops or portion it into thick strips. Oven method: Preheat an oven to 325°F. Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe. Remove from the oven and place the pork and krout on a serving platter. Sometimes a good year followed, sometimes not. I like a stronger sauerkraut taste, so that might do the trick. I was really excited about this recipe but it turned out to be a dud for us. Place potatoes in the same baking dish,add undrained sauerkraut and place the ribs on top,bake until potatoes are tender. Set the slow cooker to low and cook for about 4 hours, or until the ingredients are heated through. 1500 g / 3.5 pounds of pork, shoulder piece, boned, scored, (if you use a piece of pork with the bone leave it in the oven for 1 – 1 1/2 hours after you poured over the beer) 10 cloves, ground in a mortar 2 heaped teaspoons of salt 500 ml / 1 pint beer 3 medium sized onions, quartered 2 sweet potatoes, scrubbed, cut into cubes In Bulgaria, where I grew up this manner of cooking pork meat with sour cabbage is called Svinsko s Kiselo Zele na Furna which literally translates to Pork with Sauerkraut in Oven. Place the pork, apples, and sauerkraut in the slow cooker, low 6-7 hours high for 3-4 hours; Tips on Making Baked Pork Chops and Sauerkraut in the Oven: Use either boneless or bone-in chops or pork, loin of pork also works – no effect on flavor. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Cover and place in the oven for 3 hours or until the internal temperature is at least 145. Learn how your comment data is processed. Once drained, the sauerkraut will weigh less - the 4 lbs guideline includes the brine, i.e. DIRECTIONS. Place pork roast into a large baking dish and scatter sauerkraut around the roast. Very easy to prepare and yummy indeed. Preheat oven to 250 degrees F (120 degrees C). The tradition of eating pork and sauerkraut to ensure good luck for the New Year is prevalent in both Eastern Europe and Germany. Ingredients. diced tomatoes , caraway seed , and a can of beer in a Dutch oven . TIP: Leftovers save well for a couple of days refrigerated or can be frozen in an airtight container. I'm giving two stars because I really liked the flavor of the pork - it was quite delicious. This probably dumped off a lot of the sweetness. Mix the sugar throughout the sauerkraut. Heat a ... Notes. Naturally, it was brought over to the US by immigrants and is alive and well, especially in Pennsylvania and the Midwest. Stir in sauerkraut Cover chops with thinly sliced onion and then sauerkraut. I am such a lover of sauerkraut!! Forgot to get a picture for you.....YUMMY for sure! Once … Add the onions and sauté until softened, scraping up any browned bits from the ribs. I love sauerkraut and I’m always trying to incorporate it into meals in different ways! Lay ribs in the oven, meat side down and sear them in a single layer. Broil pork chops 6 in. Serve alongside mashed potatoes, baked apples or simply with crusty bread. Remove chops to a plate as browned. Cover dish with aluminum foil and seal foil to the edges of the dish. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Layers of tender potatoes, melt in your mouth pork chops and zesty apple sauerkraut! Information is not currently available for this nutrient. https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/sauerkraut-and-pork-chops Preheat the oven, season the roast: Set the oven to 325°F. Bake roast in the preheated oven until heated through, about 1 hour. Add butter and let melt. Lower the heat to medium and saute the diced onion for 3-4 minutes. Step 1. 1 tablespoon vegetable oil. Allrecipes is part of the Meredith Food Group. Cover and return to the oven and cook until pork chops Boneless Pork Roast with Crackling. Pigs root forward as part of their instinctual, natural behavior which is creatively seen as advancement. Love the pairing with pork here! Cut the pork (into chops or thick strips as shown above), trim any excess fat and generously season with salt and pepper. This casserole is baked in the oven until the pork chops are fork tender for a meal your whole family will love! My grandmother made the best oven baked pork shoulder with sauerkraut. Allow the meat to rest for 15 minutes before cutting to allow the juices to redistribute throughout the meat. Info. Cover with the lid, and put into the oven for 3-4 hours. In reality, the winter holidays are when pigs were traditionally butchered for family feasts, after having been appropriately fattened. Spoon remaining sauerkraut mixture over pork. I was very disappointed in this. pork loin, chops or spareribs Salt & pepper to taste (sprinkle on roast) Place first five ingredients in a roasting pan. The pork is literally fork tender, the sauerkraut maintains a good texture and there is enough tasty liquid from the braising to be mopped up with fresh, crusty bread. Cover and cook on high for 1 hour. Learn more about Craft Beering or sign up for our bi-weekly new recipes & posts e-mails (below). Braise in the oven until the pork becomes tender - depending on how you cut it this may take 1 to 1.5 hours. You can cook the kielbasa, beer and sauerkraut in a slow cooker instead of on top of the stove. Deglaze with beer (or cider or water) and scrape off the brown bits. Probably the most common explanation I have heard is that the shreds of sauerkraut represent wealth or rather opportunities to acquire it. Powered by the ESHA Research Database © 2018, ESHA Research, Inc. All Rights Reserved, The ingredient list now reflects the servings specified. She frequently cooked it for my extended family during the cold months – when we gathered at her house to try my grandfather’s new red wine or visited for New Year’s. This is definitely a dish I’d love! The pros of portioning it are faster overall cooking time, better rendered fat/juicier meat and ease of serving. Now is all this true? I used chicken broth instead of beer only because I didn't have beer. Next, pour dark beer over sauerkraut. Season pork liberally with salt and pepper. Preheat oven to 325F, rack in the middle. Otherwise use a pan to brown the pork and then transfer to a roasting pan, covered with aluminum foil to braise. Pork and Sauerkraut is a simple casserole that everyone in my family LOVES! Cut the pork into pieces and generously season them with salt and pepper. Thaw on the counter at room temperature and warm up in an appropriately sized pot on medium-low heat. Place the pork on top and surround with the apple mixture. Can't think of any way that I would change it! Add the 2nd can of beer if too dry. It was quite watery, though. Place pork roast in a large roasting pan. 3. When ready to serve mix sauerkraut, apples and onions together. Definitely will make again this time keeping a closer eye on the time. Workflow. Generously season chops with salt and pepper and brown in batches in rendered fat over medium high heat. The juice from the sauerkraut and from the ribs help cook the potatoes. Add onion and apples and cook until starting to soften, about 4 minutes. Share it on Pinterest or leave a review below. Heat a braiser/Dutch oven or a heavy bottomed pan on high, add oil and brown the pork on all sides, working in batches. Most people won't think twice about serving basic cornbread when is on the table. In a large bowl, combine the sauerkraut, onion, apples, corn syrup, bay leaves, caraway and pepper. The more I tried to fix it the worse it got. We are the Perrines - Milena and Chris. Craft Beering | DISCLOSURES & PRIVACY POLICY. Ours baked for 3.5 hours and was still swimming in juices - I knew there was no way it'd be cooked off in 30 minutes so I ended up dumping a bunch off. Then she would add it to a frying pan filled with buttery golden brown onions and would fry it all together. Add potatoes. Sauerkraut Balls Disappointed. This is her recipe, the only thing I’ve done differently is use store bought sauerkraut instead of the homemade naturally fermented sour cabbage she used. Cover the bottom of a large Dutch oven with the sauerkraut. As a side you can always prepare. I might forego the can of beer and not drain the kraut next time and see how it turns out. Spoon half into a 5-qt. Transfer them to a platter. Add the water and bay leaves and bring to simmer. Brown the pork ribs in 1 tablespoon canola oil in a large skillet over medium/high on all sides. Mix sauerkraut, water, onion, and apple together in a large bowl. We share tasty recipes centered around cooking with beer and pairing beer and food. from the heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until browned; place over potatoes. How to cook nicely browned and incredibly tender pork with sauerkraut in the oven. Blend together the salt, garlic powder, black pepper, and paprika. Made this for New Year's Day's dinner. With fat side up, place pork roast in the middle … Heat on medium-high heat. Pork and sauerkraut, what could be better!? The process is very easy – you braise the pork in the oven until tender and then you add the sauerkraut to it and proceed to bake the duo uncovered to finish up the dish. Pour sauerkraut mixture over roast. Season with salt and black pepper. slow cooker; top with potatoes. Sauerkraut Strudel 1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle beer, or as needed, Back to Pork Roast with Apples, Beer, and Sauerkraut. Pile sauerkraut on top of pork … Add the paprika, stir and deglaze with the beer (or cider). Being Pennsylvania Dutch pork and sauerkraut is a staple particularly on New Year's Day. 4. Remove to a bowl and reserve. Arrange apple and onion quarters around the roast. Place the kielbasa, beer and sauerkraut in a heavy, cast-iron pan with a tight-fitting lid and cook in a 325 degree Fahrenheit oven for about an hour. Add the paprika, stir, then add water.