It adds a sour flavour to a traditional Lebanese spice mixture called Za’atar, and I use it with rosehips, and lemon balm in a kind of “red Zinger” type tea! Properly distinguishing “look-alikes” ensures that native plants are not mistakenly removed or chemically treated during management projects. These look-alikes are often mistaken for poison ivy, but there are notable differences. In July I took photos of sumacs along the Montour Trail but didn’t identify the species and assumed these first two were staghorn sumac. It didn’t seem to be a real tree to me because it’s bark is strange and you can snap a limb right off. Nothing spoils a great day of wildcrafting like picking the wrong plant and ending up dead. setTimeout( Ailanthus altissima AKA Tree of Heaven AKA stinking sumac because of the smell of the bruised leaves. Then I cut or mash up the top of the remaining root to help pathogens get in. You are min-informed about Poison Sumac. Photos on this blog are used by permission and are copyrighted material. They typically get 10-20’ tall and sucker to form colonies usually about 20-30’ across. . Click on the Wikimedia photos to see their originals). Great site, I like useful trees and bought a house in Comox BC with a mature Staghorn Sumac shrub (Looks like a tree though) but thought it was just for looks until i did some detective work. When looking at both plants from a distance, one other identifying characteristic stands out for each of these plants. Three species of sumac look very similar in form and habit and are found commonly on the roadsides, in the hedgerows and along the woods edges in Wisconsin. I cut it at the base of the tree, paint roundup on it and pray–a lot. timeout The thick branches are hairy a… Although … Maybe a similar situation? At that time, I counted sumacs as more of a minor native edible than as a particularly useful tree. Use it to start a fast-burning fire in combination with hard woods, which will generate more heat. They are a beautiful tree. I have successfully gotten rid of it by digging up the roots as much as possible, sometimes up to (down to) two feet below the soil. For more information about identifying characteristics of Tree-of-Heaven (Ailanthus altissima), visit here. if ( notice ) Find out which plants can be used for hedges in landscaping, ornamental gardening, or can be grown in pots. Poison ivy look-alikes. Height – 16 feet (5 m) Exposure – full sun Soil – ordinary. One of the best examples of such look-alikes is Ailanthus altissima (Tree-of-Heaven) and two native sumacs to the region, Rhus typhina (staghorn sumac) and Rhus glabra (smooth sumac… ... old-growth hemlock-hardwood forest in New York found that Ailanthus was capable of competing successfully with native trees in canopy gaps where only 2 to 15% of full sun was available. Grain/Texture: Grain tends to be straight to interlocked, with a fine to medium texture. Medium Quality Foods. Over time, more have seeded themselves here and there, likely with the help of birds. Interestingly, Tree-of-Heaven has another common name — Chinese sumac — which shows how similar these plants look, without closer inspection. If I were brave enough to want to smell some strong acrid stuff, then I would rub the stems or leaflets. Sumac has a moderate level of natural luster. }, Pinnate means resembling a feather; compound means that, instead of one, unified structure, a plant's leaf is really composed of multiple leaflets joined by stems. notice.style.display = "block"; 12 For more information about identifying characteristics of smooth sumac (Rhus glabra), visit here. Gall are a kind of swelling growth on the external tissues of plants, fungi, or inserts. Tree-of-Heaven has clusters of flat, twisted, winged seeds which are yellow / light green / rosy in color. Other common regional names include red sumac, scarlet sumac, common sumac, and western sumac. In fact, they are drought resistant. var notice = document.getElementById("cptch_time_limit_notice_100"); See how the stem has wings (like wingstem) between the leaflets? So…The red staghorn sumac is Not Poisonous at any point??? (function( timeout ) {  =  Smooth sumac (Rhus glabra), above, is smooth just like its name. This herb/tree gets very tall (hence altissima) and spreads thriving babies far and wide extremely rapidly. There will be no nut husks under the tree. In addition, staghorn sumac, the most common type of sumac plant, is also non-allergic. The bright red clusters of autumn berries often last into winter. Poison Sumac, or Toxicodendron vernix, is a common North American plant that causes skin irritation to people.Like its better-known cousin poison ivy, the green leaves of poison sumac sure to put a damper on an otherwise pleasant camping trip or another outdoor excursion. Required fields are marked *, “Outside My Window” Sumac trees and shrubs are interesting throughout the year. Time limit is exhausted. Thank you for this clear and concise comparison! In fact the tree has both odd-pinnate as well as even-pinnate leaves. Not only that, you can see that the stems on the top one are also fuzzy but the stems below are smooth. }, Confidently master the skill of correct plant identification. I was not so sure it was smooth sumac because I didn’t see the distinctive upright berry clusters. See more ideas about poison sumac plant, sumac plant, sumac. Discover 17 new dwarf trees perfect for small spaces and porches. I was wondering what kinda plant shoemake and do you have a photo. Both plants have compound leaves alternating on their twigs or branches. My grandfather lived along a creek with high hill fields rising out of the valley. I have been using the bottles recommended mixture. . The comment about number of leaflets is not correct. In addition, staghorn sumac, the most common type of sumac plant, is also non-allergic. A member of the family Anacardiaceae, it resembles North America's other sumacs (Rhus sp. Required fields are marked *. What Does Harmless Sumac Look Like? ); If I really want to be sure of which plant I have before me — especially if it is a smaller specimen or if it might be a male Tree-of-Heaven (which does not have fruit), then I look closely at the leaves. Perhaps auto-correct messed up your message? The one below is smooth. Tree-of-Heaven has an even number of leaflets on each leaf while smooth sumac has a single leaflet at the end of the leaf. And both plants grow in open “waste” spaces along roads, etc. There are many varieties of harmless (aka ornamental) sumac, and they can grow in a wide variety of settings except shady, swampy areas. Mountain balm. })(120000); Eleven to 31 leaflets are arranged in opposite pairs along a stalk which grows 30 to 50 centimetres long. … One of the best ways to differentiate the leaves of staghorn sumac from tree-of-heaven is to look … If the plant is extremely tall, I know it is Tree-of-Heaven which typically grows up to 80 feet in the U.S. Your email address will not be published. I'm very interested to see so many in a row. It is very similar to the more desireable staghorn sumac, but it has smooth rather than velvety bark. I think it’s beautiful. Copyright 2020 Kate St. John To create this list, I took into account each plant’s toxicity, growing range, and degree of similarity to its edible look-alikes. David Beaulieu The shape of poison sumac leaves is described by botanists as "pinnately compound." Shining sumac (Rhus copallina) is easily identified by its winged stems. They interesting plants! Shop for Best Price What Trees Look Like Sumac But Are Taller And When Can You Stop Growing Taller . Our native sumacs are small trees, up to 30 feet tall, with fern-like compound leaves which make great loose-textured landscape accents, highly favored as small courtyard trees in English and European gardens and as erosion … African sumac trees (Rhus lancea) are highly drought-tolerant and grow as shade trees in U.S. Department of Agriculture plant hardiness zones 8 through 10. I was told to use round-up full strength on the trunk and that will finish it off. Be sure to differentiate between these species. Leaflets are however, with 2-10 mm long stalk, margin entire except for basal lobes with glands. Smooth sumac leaflets are serrated along the entire margin. Name – Rhus typhina Family – Anacardiaceae Type – shrub. In contrast, the smooth sumac grows to a maximum height of 15 feet. Please reload CAPTCHA. . Your email address will not be published. Chinese sumac (Rhus chinensis) comes from Japan and China and generally winters well in USDA hardiness zones 5 to 8. This large shrub has compound leaves, meaning each leaf is composed of several leaflets. (photos by Kate St. John except where noted. The salt will not harm any plant roots higher up in the soil. Full size each tree of heaven picture you like, ... Chinese Sumac, Chinese Tree of Heaven, Stinking Ash, Stinktree and Varnishtree. Foliage – deciduous Flowering – June to August. Sapwood is a grayish white. Tree-of-Heaven leaflets have one or two “glandular teeth” at the base of the leaf. Wrong! What’s confusing is that both plants have alternate compound leaves with the same drooping habit. Truth was poison “sumac” doesn’t grow anywhere in those areas. Looks like Staghorn Sumac and the "fruit" is a Gall. Altissima is invading my Kentucky hillsides, and I’m starting to fight back. Personally I think it smells like rotten peanut butter. Thanks for helping me with all of the various types of Sumac! Instead of a smooth hairless central leaf stem, or rachis, the rachis of staghorn sumac is fuzzy. It’s found very appealing for its red fruits, … Winged sumac looks a lot like poison sumac but doesn't cause an allergic reaction. The different varieties differ … All jokes aside, coming across one in the wild can be fun. The show begins with large clusters of flowers in spring, followed by attractive, brilliantly colored fall foliage. function() { While driving through the city or along country roads, I frequently noticed plants which looked like very tall smooth sumac (Rhus glabra). Poison ivy and poison oak are two other commonly known poisonous plants that can cause a rash, but they look different from poison sumac. Let’s … I'm back Melaphis rhois or staghorn sumac aphid is what is making the galls. Please reload CAPTCHA. The baby leaves have a deep purple in them for a short time, and they smell very distinct when snapped or cut. Your email address will not be published. Think sumac—one of North America’s best contributions to European gardens. https://www.nny360.com/artsandlife/staghorn-sumac-a-beneficial-plant/article_6b0300f3-10ed-54c9-9fbe-6edd7f967590.html, And finally there’s a plant we call “sumac” which isn’t related at all. We have a creek, but no bogging areas White sumac(shining and poison) lives here as well as the red (Staghorn). And yet . We live outside of Atlanta. Sumac inhabits open, rocky habitats, river banks, areas near the roads and hillsides. There is always a terminal leaflet where leaflets (mostly 7 leaflets) are similar in size and shape. The leaflets are distinctive. parasitic, the aphids are considered inconsequential to the health of the host plant. Tree of Heaven (. While waiting on line for the roller coasters, I remember my mother pointing out sumac trees growing on the other side of the fence. I have been fighting the poisonous kind for several years. In ash trees, your tree will have a leaf with opposite leaf arrangement. Virginia creeper – Virginia creeper ivy is a well-known poison ivy look-alike. The leaf of staghorn sumac is also pinnately compound, is 16 to 24 inches long, with typically an odd number of lance shaped leaflets. These fruits also persist on the tree through winter. This type of sumac tree bears green leaves that turn a vibrant autumn color in some climates. display: none !important; Finally, look for berries. The red fruit spike above is fuzzy. Use sumac trees for firewood, rather than shrubs, and allow it to season for at least one year prior to use. Poison ivy vines will sprout small, opaque, white or yellowish berries that look like tiny pumpkins. In southwestern Pennsylvania we have three common sumac species that bear pointed red fruit clusters: I haven’t seen Shining Sumac lately so here’s a photo from Wikimedia Commons. Staghorn sumac, also called vinegar sumac, is a short tree that grows in a roundish shape. Tree-of-Heaven is notorious for the horrible smell associated with its leaflets and flowers. I am writing an article on sumacs for the Santa Fe New Mexican and ran across this blog, thank you for your share with the different varieties. Harmless Plants that Look Like Poison Sumac. I’m sure a lot of East Coasters can get them confused. Cons of African Sumac Trees. Staghorn sumac (Rhus typhina), at top, has fuzzy fruit and stems and is named “staghorn” because the fuzzy fruit spike resembles a stag’s horn in velvet. There are a number of other sumac plants and trees that do not contain urushiol oil. Time limit is exhausted. .hide-if-no-js { Steve, the author stated “Fortunately poison sumac only grows in swamps and bogs so you’d have to go out of your way to touch it.” Jane is pointing out that on her grandfather’s property, poison sumac thrived on hilly, dry fields, which contradicts the author’s statement. Thanks so much. Tree of Heaven (Ailanthus altissima)Tree-of-heaven (also called ailanthus, Chinese sumac, stinking sumac, stinktree, and stinkwood) is a non-native, invasive tree species from Asia. Poison sumac … Now, as I’m driving and checking out plants along the road, I still wonder exactly which plant I am seeing. As a child growing up in rural areas, many adults just told children all sumac was poisonous. All Rights Reserved. Since staghorn sumac and black walnut are common and often found growing in similar areas as Tree-of-Heaven, we will focus on these two native look … Harmless sumac like lots of sun, and they do not like to keep their feet wet. There are two more plants we call “sumac” whose leaves resemble these plants but they aren’t in the genus Rhus: Three real Rhus sumacs and two imposters. Interestingly, Tree-of-Heaven has another common name — Chinese sumac — which shows how similar these plants look, without closer inspection. Needless to say Im pleased enough to let the clonal roots spread around to make more a bit farther away from the house. 10. Correct, staghorn sumac is not poisonous https://www.nny360.com/artsandlife/staghorn-sumac-a-beneficial-plant/article_6b0300f3-10ed-54c9-9fbe-6edd7f967590.html, No, it isn’t. However, the easiest features to focus on include the leaflet shape, the overall number (even or odd) of leaflets on a leaf, the smell of the leaves, and the mature height of the plant. It has large shiny dark-green pinnate leaves, each with 9 to 27 leaflets arranged in a fern-like pattern. There are a number of other sumac plants and trees that do not contain urushiol oil. Now, as I’m driving and checking out plants along the road, I still wonder exactly which plant I am seeing. Thank you so much! In Rhus glabra would have 15-19 leaflets, sessile with serrate margin. As I started to write this article I examined the photos and noticed a big difference between them. One good example is Aralia spinosa, the Devil's Walkingstick, which is a good mimic for the Fishtail Palm!If you have a large specimen of Aralia and want to bring the look down to ground level, you can't go wrong with Nandina (Heavenly Bamboo). Endgrain: Ring-porous or … ), which often gives those innocuous trees a bad reputation.Like its other cousin, poison ivy (Toxicodendron radicans), poison sumac … These are Staghorn Sumac, Smooth Sumac, and Shining Sumac. ×  Those hilly dry fields where he pastured his cows and horses were filled with Poison Sumac! Poison sumac has leaves made up of 5 to 13 leaflets. as609 / Getty … Which only served to confuse, as we certainly got rashes from poison ivy, but never the sumac. It was a challenge to walk that way to get to his home because of all those little poisonous trees. Poison sumac also goes by the name thunderwood in the southeastern US.. That’s why I’ve put together this list of the top 10 most dangerous plant look-alikes. Sumac is a lightweight wood known for spitting, popping and throwing out embers. Choose from dwarf flowering trees, vibrant evergreens, or yummy trees that produce fruit. Common native trees that have a similar pinnately compound leaf structure include sumac, walnut, hickory, ash, locust, and boxelder. Your article was most helpful in identifying it as Staghorn Sumac. I’ve been trying to research what type of tree surrounds our home here in southwestern Pennsylvania. I added the first sumac to my food forest right at the beginning of the project almost four years ago. Your email address will not be published. List of key staghorn tree facts. Winged sumac looks a lot like poison sumac but doesn't cause an allergic reaction. Read on for sumac tree info and growing tips. There are a few other finer points which could be presented for distinguishing smooth sumac and Tree-of-Heaven. Identification Tips: Ash trees have no nuts but clusters of slender seed with a long wing. #dwarf #trees #evergreen #flowering In exactly what way was the author of this post misinformed? Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Sumac probably won't put out a lot of heat. Don’t tell someone the information they’re saying is wrong/incorrect and not correct them. Finally I put a cup or two of salt around it before filling in the hole. Some hardy trees look fine and tropical just as they are. Tree of Heaven may have 13-31 leaflets, that means odd-pinnate is not uncommon. Sandra, I’m not sure what you’re asking. Sumac trees will tolerate nearly any soil type, thriving in … These leaflets hang down, have serrations (teeth) along the edges and turn a radiant red or orange in the fall. After stopping and taking photos of this unknown (to me) plant, I was able to identify it as Tree-of-Heaven (Ailanthus altissima). Harmless Plants that Look Like Poison Sumac. Color/Appearance: Along with Lignum Vitae, Sumac is one of the few woods that has a consistently yellow to olive-green coloration. If you wish to use a photo please leave a comment with your request. Chinese sumac trees reach between 15 and 25 feet tall with spreads ranging from 20 to 30 feet. The smooth sumac has the upright cluster of tiny red berries which persist (in a darker red to black coloration) through winter. Jul 10, 2019 - Explore Karen Mulkeen's board "Poison sumac plant" on Pinterest.